Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Tool Charges on the A22 to Faro

Tool Charges on the A22 to Faro

Old Oct 18th 2011, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tool Charges on the A22 to Faro

Jon here in Spain when they extended the toll road from Estepona to Guadiaro they had by law to upgrade the old N340 coast road.
Also the old road had to be upgraded before they could open the new road which was being built at the same time.
In other words chaos.
Common sense would have allowed the toll road to be built first and used toll free until the coast road was upgraded, but not in Spain.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 8:06 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Jon here in Spain when they extended the toll road from Estepona to Guadiaro they had by law to upgrade the old N340 coast road.
Also the old road had to be upgraded before they could open the new road which was being built at the same time.
In other words chaos.
Common sense would have allowed the toll road to be built first and used toll free until the coast road was upgraded, but not in Spain.
Hi Fred

Looks like common sense is lacking in more places than Spain. Any co-incidence that these countries have huge debts, mismanagement and bringing the worlds economy to the brink of a major recession?

Something in the 'southern europe genes' maybe???? I am getting very nervous about Italy as well..... 10x Greece and lots of hidden stuff to come out and stress the markets further!

Oooops diverting to one of mymany soapboxes... better to stop now!!!

Thanks
Jon
Old Oct 27th 2011, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

steph will become famous soon enough

Hi jon, any news about toll road has it started yet and how do we pay?
Old Oct 27th 2011, 10:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Tool Charges on the A22 to Faro

Originally Posted by steph
Hi jon, any news about toll road has it started yet and how do we pay?
No news no start date yet if at all.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Have look at this on the Portugal site:-
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=737104

As a result of Spanish pressure the EU issued this statement.

The most interesting paragraph from the EU Press Release is the final one:
The practical effect of non-implementation
Failing to implement this directive appropriately and to communicate to the Commission the relevant information means that Portuguese tolling arrangements risk contradicting the general aims of the directive, such as the prohibition of discrimination or the principle that tolls must be based only on the recovery of infrastructure costs.

As the cost of the motorway was largely provide by the EU then there could be a case that Portugal is in breech of the Directive since it is implementing tolls for the colection of revenue.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

-cordoba- is an unknown quantity at this point

Just back from C. Esuri and I see they have put up a toll sign just over the bridge (in Portuguese). It's covered up but says the 1st toll is in 2km., just past the Montegordo exit. So they may be getting ready to implement it soon.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 6:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Tool Charges on the A22 to Faro

Originally Posted by -cordoba-
Just back from C. Esuri and I see they have put up a toll sign just over the bridge (in Portuguese). It's covered up but says the 1st toll is in 2km., just past the Montegordo exit. So they may be getting ready to implement it soon.
No the boards have been up for months every few km. Latest news is that the legislation is completed but it cannot be implemented until it is published in the official journal. That is being held up since the contracted operator of the system cannot see how he is going to recover any money as use is predicted to be very low. So there is a stand off because the government don't have the money to subsidise the tolls!
Old Nov 4th 2011, 10:14 am
Bih
Just Joined

Bih is an unknown quantity at this point

The debate goes on. The president of Portugal has requested further justification from the Portuguese government before signing the law that will allow the introduction of new tolls on motorways, including the A-22. Having commissioned his own legal and economic analysis of the proposal, he is not yet convinced. One argument seems to have some traction: the motorway was built with European funds to improve the local economies of Portugal and Spain via improved transport links; the introduction of tolls would have precisely the opposite effect and therefore may be 'illegal' under EU regulations. At the very least, it nullifies the justification of the original investment. We can but hope.

http://www.huelvainformacion.es/arti...one/peaje.html

Regards
Old Nov 4th 2011, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

I see Jet 2 are no longer flying to Faro in the months up to Xmas.
I've already stopped looking for flights from Faro.
Oh what a stupid idea the tolls were. Idon't want to waste my time even trying to get hold of the machine thingy...even if I did want to pay the tolls.
Portugal's loss is Seville's gain!
Old Nov 17th 2011, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

I see that the toll charges are due to start on 1st Jan 2012 - And a Happy New Year to all our readers
Old Nov 17th 2011, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MikeJ
I see that the toll charges are due to start on 1st Jan 2012 - And a Happy New Year to all our readers
Hi, any change that you could tell where you found this info as the last we knew it had to be ratified by the Portuguese President and as far as we are aware this hasn't been given yet. Regards Bryony
Old Nov 17th 2011, 9:36 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angiescarr
I see Jet 2 are no longer flying to Faro in the months up to Xmas.
I've already stopped looking for flights from Faro.
Oh what a stupid idea the tolls were. Idon't want to waste my time even trying to get hold of the machine thingy...even if I did want to pay the tolls.
Portugal's loss is Seville's gain!
Hi On our last trip we went to Seville... and saved HUNDREDS of euros on the total bill Car Hire + Flight. A couple of weeks before we flew out, I went back to the car rental site and saw the exact same car/company advertising cheaper... I called in and they immediately sent me 102quid! If I remember correctly we saved over 700 Euros!!

So it was amazingly significant looking at Seville (and the car pick up was in the terminal).. that it easily justified the 45 mins or so extra drive to / from Seville.

Although Spanish cars will have to pay the tolls as well, I think Faro + tourist boards needs to think very carefully about how they implement these tolls. There are significant problems they havent thought of (that Ive mentioned previously) and now we see many people reconsidering fling to Faro. Portugal needs tourist money!

Jon
Old Nov 17th 2011, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MikeCol
Hi, any change that you could tell where you found this info as the last we knew it had to be ratified by the Portuguese President and as far as we are aware this hasn't been given yet. Regards Bryony
It was on the Portuguese TV News (according to a thread on the Portugal site)

Also - a new Iceland has opened in Albufiera, how much toll will that add to our shoppng bills?
Old Nov 17th 2011, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl

Although Spanish cars will have to pay the tolls as well, I think Faro + tourist boards needs to think very carefully about how they implement these tolls. There are significant problems they havent thought of (that Ive mentioned previously) and now we see many people reconsidering fling to Faro. Portugal needs tourist money!
Jon
I think the Seville car parking charges are competitive too. I was recently away for 3 weeks and left my car with a company called Lavacolla (no affiliation) they collected my car at the airport and delivered it back to the terminal car park for me for just over 100 euros. I had heard from some review that they gave them a complimentary wash too. But that didn't happen.

Last edited by angiescarr; Nov 17th 2011 at 11:51 am. Reason: quotes mixed up
Old Nov 17th 2011, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MikeJ
It was on the Portuguese TV News (according to a thread on the Portugal site)

Also - a new Iceland has opened in Albufiera, how much toll will that add to our shoppng bills?
Hi, yes we saw that post but there has been nothing in local newspapers.

Have been to Iceland, its in Guia at the retail park oppo Leroy Merlin. Really good, has butchers, chilled foods, groceries (including quite a few items from the Waitrose Essentials range) and of course frozen products. Bryony

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.