Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Too Much Bickering - It Spoils the Fun of B Expats

Too Much Bickering - It Spoils the Fun of B Expats

Old Dec 16th 2007, 3:32 pm
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of
Default Too Much Bickering - It Spoils the Fun of B Expats

I haven't been a member of Expat's long but have enjoyed and learnt loads about Life in Spain. Thanks to those that share experiences and knowledge over the Brit Expat's Forum.

However it is quite noticeable that threads started with good intentions are hi-jacked or spoiled by petty bickering and sometime downright nastiness or take on a meaning beyond that intended.

This in my opinion takes some of the fun out of the experience and the 'community' must suffer for this. People probably leave too because if this on-line bullying.

Can we all be a bit more grown up and those that need to, ditch their egos please.

Is it possible to send a member bad karma - cos I certainly can think of a few that should find better things to do that just pick on people.

I hope most of you support the above sentiment?
Old Dec 16th 2007, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: In a place where Mimi Greensleeves, Dodgy Debsy and that there Lionda wont find me.
genegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond reputegenegenie has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Too Much Bickering - It Spoils the Fun of B Expats

Originally Posted by GrapeEater
I haven't been a member of Expat's long but have enjoyed and learnt loads about Life in Spain. Thanks to those that share experiences and knowledge over the Brit Expat's Forum.

However it is quite noticeable that threads started with good intentions are hi-jacked or spoiled by petty bickering and sometime downright nastiness or take on a meaning beyond that intended.

This in my opinion takes some of the fun out of the experience and the 'community' must suffer for this. People probably leave too because if this on-line bullying.

Can we all be a bit more grown up and those that need to, ditch their egos please.

Is it possible to send a member bad karma - cos I certainly can think of a few that should find better things to do that just pick on people.

I hope most of you support the above sentiment?
Fair comment
Old Dec 16th 2007, 3:44 pm
Banned

Location: What one has not experienced, one will never understand in print
lee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to all
Default Re: Too Much Bickering - It Spoils the Fun of B Expats

It happens all over the world.

From the mis spelling/punctuation pickers to the ego manic`s.

You just have to learn how to get around them and most people realise who they are, there not that good at hiding and don`t seem to understand how stupid they come across.Which makes it impossible to teach them the errors of there ways, usually they got nothing more in there lives than sitting here having meaningless digs at people.

I find them easy to wind up, sometimes they brighten up my day.

I`d say keep them here for entertainment use.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 4:25 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lee8
It happens all over the world.

From the mis spelling/punctuation pickers to the ego manic`s.

You just have to learn how to get around them and most people realise who they are, there not that good at hiding and don`t seem to understand how stupid they come across.Which makes it impossible to teach them the errors of there ways, usually they got nothing more in there lives than sitting here having meaningless digs at people.

I find them easy to wind up, sometimes they brighten up my day.

I`d say keep them here for entertainment use.

I haven't noticed much bickering on here. A bit of tongue in cheek friendly banter but nothing to get wound up about. It's best to ignore the wind up merchants
Old Dec 16th 2007, 5:07 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

If you don`t like the comments of some posters just put them on "ignore", then you won`t see their posts.
It is only friendly banter usually, if its not then the moderaters or admin will step in. ;-))
Old Dec 16th 2007, 5:51 pm

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lionda
I haven't noticed much bickering on here. A bit of tongue in cheek friendly banter but nothing to get wound up about. It's best to ignore the wind up merchants
I have to agree with Lionda on this one!
Old Dec 16th 2007, 6:06 pm
Young at heart

jandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't understand what the fuss is about,this is a great forum with lots of friendly peeps OK there is a handful that bicker with each other BUT generally it is jesting and makes some of us laughwithout them it wouldn't be the same,and I'm sure if they were to meet for a drink they would get on like a house on fire
From time to time there is a difference of opinion,isn't that the point of a forum , well I just love the ones with all the banter I have had many a laugh with them , keep it up, is what I say
Old Dec 16th 2007, 8:10 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Im quite suprised .... I haven't noticed any significant bickering on the Spanish forum. We have the odd flare up, but not too often

You're not confusing friendly banter with bickering are you?
Old Dec 16th 2007, 8:17 pm
Mucho Macho

XTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond repute

Have I missed something?
Old Dec 16th 2007, 8:19 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by XTreme
Have I missed something?
No ..... sod off

(Are you less busy now and able to post here a bit more I hope )
Old Dec 16th 2007, 8:27 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

A while ago we all had a bit of friendly banter, some of us took it further with some of the posters who seemed to enjoy it, and with others we were just a little cheeky.

The problem is that all too often people are taken the wrong way, so someone takes offence and it escalates, then people start to "gang" up and problems are born.

Last spring if someone had of corrected someone else's grammar or spelling or whatever then everyone would have had a laugh about it and people would have been called silly names, hell I don't think there is a single person who hasn't called me something, and have I EVER complained? Have I EVER reported it?

No.

Some of the problem is that people believe what they read, if someone's Sig line says something then they believe it is indicative of them, not realising that sometimes people do things because they know it annoys other people.

So what do we do? All comply with the general consensus and follow the party line?

One of the things I love about Spain is the passion of the Spanish, it is infectious and so unlike the passionless Northern Europeans.
So for some reason we travel all the way to Spain and pick up so many different customs but always we shun that passion, we forget the real reason we love the Latins.

As has already been said, if someone's posts annoy you then just ignore them, the problem is that we ALL have an ego, and we ALL want to comment, because we ALL think that our opinions are more important than everyone else's.
As much as it pains me to say it some of you need to post in the lounge, it can get a little hairy in there but it also puts a little bit of a perspective on things, gets us chatting to everyone. The problem is that some people can be very insular, VERY narrow minded and don't want to have to communicate with anyone they either don't want to have to or don't feel they are important enough.

I have joked about it before but the Spain forum is the ONLY forum I hardly ever get Karma in, now before anyone says anything, I couldn't give a crap about Karma, but it does tell you something................in the Lounge people just pop a little K message to say hi.

Now for a while I used to do gardening pages, I still have a couple to post but to be honest I just cant be arsed, it causes all sorts of people to post things that try and contradict what I said. I always said that the gardening stuff was just a bit of light advice offered for free, it could be taken or not, it was up to you, but it still brought a few out of the woodwork trying to "top trump" each other.

And that's the problem, so many people want to top trump and look good, I have made my mistakes and am one of the first to hold my hands up, but come on, do we honestly want a serious forum where only a few post and we just go round and round in circles discussing registration of a left hand drive car?
Old Dec 16th 2007, 8:37 pm
Mucho Macho

XTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy

(Are you less busy now and able to post here a bit more I hope )
It's been really manic Jon.....been working 15 hour days for weeks now! Haven't had a day without work for about 2 months.
The web stuff is growing all the time, plus the home user hardware work has increased dramatically cos I'm now covering everywhere within a 40 mile radius. Not out of choice or planning, just down to word of mouth recommendation really.
I'm permanently on-call.....I built the business on service, so I've got to keep the momentum going.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 8:39 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by XTreme
It's been really manic Jon.....been working 15 hour days for weeks now! Haven't had a day without work for about 2 months.
The web stuff is growing all the time, plus the home user hardware work has increased dramatically cos I'm now covering everywhere within a 40 mile radius. Not out of choice or planning, just down to word of mouth recommendation really.
I'm permanently on-call.....I built the business on service, so I've got to keep the momentum going.
sent pm
Old Dec 16th 2007, 8:41 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
sent pm
so have I.

Let me know when you have PM'd me back.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 8:42 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
so have I.

Let me know when you have PM'd me back.
I haven't bothered

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.