Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Tips to moving to spain

Tips to moving to spain

Old Jan 17th 2020, 2:07 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tips to moving to spain

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
You cannot choose which schools your children go to. There are no public gradings of schools. The Spanish education system is generally poor when compared with state educations systems in other countries.

I don't agree with this - Spain doesn't do too badly in this ranking. My experience of putting 3 through primary, secondary and further education is that they have done very well.

http://worldpopulationreview.com/cou...gs-by-country/
Old Jan 17th 2020, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

Aaronjug is an unknown quantity at this point

We have a 6 year old and 9 year old so not sure to move this September before the eldest goes to big school (if they do that in Spain?) Or wait until next June I think it is
Old Jan 17th 2020, 5:02 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I don't agree with this - Spain doesn't do too badly in this ranking. My experience of putting 3 through primary, secondary and further education is that they have done very well.

http://worldpopulationreview.com/cou...gs-by-country/
The world population review. Did you see where the source link for the information goes to?
There obviously pockets of Spain where education will be found to be better then others. But the general overview is it is not good.
Links below, most will be in Spanish.
Education system fails in Secondary: 72% of students
No Spanish university among the top 150
Why more class time has not improved academic results in Spain?
There is little to no vocational training either.

Last edited by Casa Santo Estevo; Jan 17th 2020 at 5:07 pm.
Old Jan 17th 2020, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

Opinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bob_bob
You need to spend longer than a weekend to look at things.

Its good your not selling up in the UK, don't burn your bridges.

If you can fly to and from the London airports and are totally flexible on dates then yes you can still get the dirt cheap flights sometimes. Move out to more regional airports like Leeds or in my case Cardiff/Bristol and the prices shoot up. If I were the OP I'd budget £200 a month for flights and if the flights cost less its a bonus.

Some here will know the typical costs of sending children to International Schools but IIRC for two children you need to budget around £1200+ so School and flights are about £1400 a month. You could look at using state Schools but your children will be held back because they don't speak the language and you won't be able to support them with homework because you don't speak the language so not really a viable option IMO.

Cost of living overall is not much different from the UK, some stuff cheaper, other stuff more expensive.

You need to sit down and work on a realistic budget, make it a brutal worse case scenario forecast, don't be under the illusion prices in Spain are way cheaper than the UK.
100% correct.

* ​​​You need to spend way more than a weekend here. Even now, in discovering new things and new places all the time.

* If you have property in the UK, DO NOT SELL IT. Rent it out first, and rent over here. You'd be bonkers to sell up and buy here right now.

​​* Again, BobBob is spot on. Flying from London is great for my friends in the South East. Flying from Bristol or Manchester? Considerably more expensive- and that does need to be factored in.

* Cost of living I would argue is cheaper. As an example, my utilities in VLC for December were €66.22 for water, €66.52 for electricity and €47.00 for internet, so €179.74. The Spanish version of Council Tax is so small it's not worth counting. My bills in the UK are a lot higher- Council Tax alone is around £160.00 for a similar sized two bed apartment, with gas, electricity, water, internet, and a £150.00 a month Service Charge. Shopping wise, fruit and vegetables are MUCH cheaper, meat can be more expensive, and thinks like fabric softener and whatnot are a bit more (in my experience.)

* Again, spot on. Don't come over here thinking it's a great life and a cheap life compared to the UK. It's a different life, definitely, and for me the quality is a lot better, but our circumstances are a lot different.
Old Jan 20th 2020, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

breakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond reputebreakfasttea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aaronjug
We are looking at moving to Spain this year and was wondering what tips would you give. Possibly looking at around Valencia area or a bit lower
Face value your decision seems quite unplanned and rushed. Surely you’d be best off waiting aT least a year to get your kids up to speed on Spanish - and yourselves also? Give the kids a year to prep minimum, keep your Brit home as rental income - SELL NOTHING - until you’ve lived a year at least in spain. You’re going to be quite shocked at the business hours and lack of 24/7 that Uk life offers.

For the folks I’d recommend switching all your tv, Netflix, Prime into Spanish with English subs. Also recommend switching your mobile language, as it’s something that will force you to adjust, and learn quickly through repetition. Children’s tv is great for you and the kids to learn Spanish.

Google Translate app in invaluable, especially the talk to text and language camera.

Overall, you normally get more bang for buck UK->Spain. Madrid being the epitome of London.

Get a good accountant who will make offshoring well worth the fee.

Best if luck 👍🏼
Old Jan 20th 2020, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

I dont want to come across as judgemental but I feel you need to consider the long term implications of flying every month. It seems that the need to tackle pollution and climate change means many of us should revaluate frequent flying. Too many people here talk about how convenient flying back and forward to the uk is when we should if anything be seeing it as not a good thing
Old Jan 20th 2020, 1:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
I dont want to come across as judgemental but I feel you need to consider the long term implications of flying every month. It seems that the need to tackle pollution and climate change means many of us should revaluate frequent flying. Too many people here talk about how convenient flying back and forward to the uk is when we should if anything be seeing it as not a good thing
Very good point though and especially if you have kids, one would think that parents should set an example.
Old Jan 20th 2020, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

Again as you are asking for tips IMO, it will take you years to be able to speak Spanish at a level where you could work with a Spanish Engineering company. Of course there may be international postings but it sounds like you think you might be able to work in Spain on spanish projects which is not that probable. Even if it was argued that an international project would be conducted in English the day to day communications would be Spanish and you quite simply need a level that is only attained by someone who has been studying and exposed to the language for years. Watching TV etc, whilst an admirable idea only really has a positive impact when the learner has acquired a pretty high level of vocabulary and grammar. For a basic learner it won't have that much positive impact.
Old Jan 20th 2020, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
Again as you are asking for tips IMO, it will take you years to be able to speak Spanish at a level where you could work with a Spanish Engineering company. Of course there may be international postings but it sounds like you think you might be able to work in Spain on spanish projects which is not that probable. Even if it was argued that an international project would be conducted in English the day to day communications would be Spanish and you quite simply need a level that is only attained by someone who has been studying and exposed to the language for years. Watching TV etc, whilst an admirable idea only really has a positive impact when the learner has acquired a pretty high level of vocabulary and grammar. For a basic learner it won't have that much positive impact.
It will be my wife working and I will be stay at home dad doing school runs. We are all leaning the language as well
Old Jan 21st 2020, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute

HI Aaron my big tip would be a dry run in the school holidays come for 6 weeks if you can afford it the kids would love it and your wife could fly back 2-3 times to see what it's like.
Speaking spanish is a big plus my wife does i do not but get by
We think spain is cheaper to live and a better place to live to(we do not work or have young children)
We have been told by may friends local spanish schools are very good
The advice given so far i mainly agree with
I do feel some long stays with the family at different times of the year if possible and you will soon find out if spain is for you
Please do not forget the winters can be very cold and you need good heating
Visit local agents for rentals you need to be here to get a good rental rents are rising and the better property go very quick
You will need a good ghestor as well for legal advice
Oh and a lot sun lotion for the long hot wonderful summers
Best wishes in whatever you do
Old Jan 21st 2020, 8:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by el collado kid
HI Aaron my big tip would be a dry run in the school holidays come for 6 weeks if you can afford it the kids would love it and your wife could fly back 2-3 times to see what it's like.
Speaking spanish is a big plus my wife does i do not but get by
We think spain is cheaper to live and a better place to live to(we do not work or have young children)
We have been told by may friends local spanish schools are very good
The advice given so far i mainly agree with
I do feel some long stays with the family at different times of the year if possible and you will soon find out if spain is for you
Please do not forget the winters can be very cold and you need good heating
Visit local agents for rentals you need to be here to get a good rental rents are rising and the better property go very quick
You will need a good ghestor as well for legal advice
Oh and a lot sun lotion for the long hot wonderful summers
Best wishes in whatever you do
Hi. Thanks alot for the information. Yes my wife and I are going out for a weekend to look at schools and we will probably rent our house in UK and rent over there for 6 months then maybe buy if we still like it
Old Jan 21st 2020, 8:45 am
Just Joined

Hi. Thanks alot for the information. Yes my wife and I are going out for a weekend to look at schools and we will probably rent our house in UK and rent over there for 6 months then maybe buy if we still like it
Hi again. Where abouts do you live? We are looking at Malaga
Old Jan 21st 2020, 8:48 am
Just Joined

Hi again. Where abouts do you live? We are looking at Malaga
Hi again. Is the healthcare free or private?
Old Jan 21st 2020, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Tips to moving to spain

Hi Aaron i forgot to say a great book for the kids is Beginner's Spanish Dictionary by Usborne Language Books i use this all the time myself and find the book the least confusing.It is basic simple and quite a fun book.we live in the jalon valley the health care for you and your family would be private unless you go autonomo

Last edited by el collado kid; Jan 21st 2020 at 8:53 am. Reason: forgot
Old Jan 21st 2020, 8:49 am
Just Joined

Is the healthcare private or free over there?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.