Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Are the times still tough?

Are the times still tough?

Old Jul 16th 2010, 5:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Are the times still tough?

Originally Posted by JLFS
Dreadful, story and yes it does sound like a Dickens novel.

There should be a happy medium so cases like the above do not happen in the civilsed world, and cases like below don happen in the UK.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lage-boss.html

I must say though that as a Spaniard I am sick of my countrymen getting s**t on from a great height when they are in need, and their country all but abandoning them.
I think the words "EARN more on benefits is a contradiction in terms"
Old Jul 16th 2010, 9:04 pm
HOODIE

Lushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Are the times still tough?

Originally Posted by BorderGirl
I have read with interest the thread on people wanting to move back to the UK for various reasons. While alot of us are thinking of going to Spain or other countries, are you still thinking of returning from there?

Are things still as difficult for people?

Are you still convinced that returning to the UK is the right thing for you to do?
If I ever had to move countries, the uk would be on the bottom of the list for moving to. Unless I had some fantastic job offer that paid loads and let me live in a different country 11 months of the year. I returned to England once, better pay, secure job, etc etc..
We moved back as soon as we could as it was blooming awful.. The weather was miserable and we kept getting bills and tax for this that and the other with no let up. Pay this bill right now or you will be fined and prosecuted..!! Eh? I didn't even know we had to pay that. O.k. pay it. You have payed it too late, now you owe us MORE, pay it or be prosecuted and lose your car. Your childs pram has been left in the hallway, it has now been taken to the council storerooms. Please collect it and pay a hundred pound fine or be prosecuted and locked up!! Eh? For my kids pram? I was only in that gaff for five minutes.. Your bin has been taken away because you left it outside. Yes, it was left outside with all the others.. It didn't have a sticker on it so we took it away..! What? What sticker.. There was no sticker.. You will have to pay fifty pounds for your bin back and then fifty pounds for your sticker or you will be prosecuted and have your parents impounded..
Or something along those lines.. I hated it.. I did like being with friends and family but I found myself in much more debt over there (and that was before the crisis with a good job, no wonder people claim so much).
Old Jul 17th 2010, 7:16 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lushdaddy
If I ever had to move countries, the uk would be on the bottom of the list for moving to. Unless I had some fantastic job offer that paid loads and let me live in a different country 11 months of the year. I returned to England once, better pay, secure job, etc etc..
We moved back as soon as we could as it was blooming awful.. The weather was miserable and we kept getting bills and tax for this that and the other with no let up. Pay this bill right now or you will be fined and prosecuted..!! Eh? I didn't even know we had to pay that. O.k. pay it. You have payed it too late, now you owe us MORE, pay it or be prosecuted and lose your car. Your childs pram has been left in the hallway, it has now been taken to the council storerooms. Please collect it and pay a hundred pound fine or be prosecuted and locked up!! Eh? For my kids pram? I was only in that gaff for five minutes.. Your bin has been taken away because you left it outside. Yes, it was left outside with all the others.. It didn't have a sticker on it so we took it away..! What? What sticker.. There was no sticker.. You will have to pay fifty pounds for your bin back and then fifty pounds for your sticker or you will be prosecuted and have your parents impounded..
Or something along those lines.. I hated it.. I did like being with friends and family but I found myself in much more debt over there (and that was before the crisis with a good job, no wonder people claim so much).
Although I go back regularly, about once a year, it's only ever for a flying visit to see family and friends, and I don't bother to look around much because there isn't time. So it's informative to hear from someone who went back to live, which you don't see often. It stops the unrealistic dreaming of a return to a place you left a long time ago.

But I still do it. I sat on my terrace last night, sweltering, hot and bothered and dreamt of sitting on a UK riverbank in the cool rain. Then the dog came charging up to drop a wet ball in my lap, For a few seconds I thought I had been tasered on my riverbank.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 7:40 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I found it difficult moving back from Madrid (only did it because of my partner's health situation), but not because of the council rules as stated above. It is annoying, I admit, trying to work out which bin you're allowed to leave out on a particular week, but at least they're trying to be more environmentally aware. Still prefer the daily collection in Spain! Anyway back to the subject - I'm always bemused by folk saying jobs are easy to come by and well-paying in the UK. I admit that my current post isn't too bad in pay terms, but there was a point in my last spell of unemployment (which lasted a year) when I thought I'd never work again. My partner received a reply this same week from a part-time post she applied for - due to the 600 () applications they're going to take their time in choosing candidates for interview; and it's only an admin post ffs. I'm just hoping my current contract is renewed beyond August. I've got a couple of freelance jobs from my contacts in Spain to help me out if not, plus I have an IT business start-up planned, but I need to build up a fighting fund/investment before I can undertake it. I'm beginning to think the answer in most countries is to go freelance or set up your own business. Let's face it, the factories being relocated to Slovakia or India aren't coming back soon, and all the time companies are trying to work out what department they can outsource overseas.
Other things I found hard to adjust to in the UK were the shop hours - although now I'm working in London this isn't the case. Ditto a decent coffee for a good price - I know good places (often Portuguese) you can get this in London, whereas in other parts of the UK you're limited to overpriced Starclucks rubbish.
So far I've not come across any problems with violent hooligans - I generally no longer go out at night so perhaps that's the answer. It's a bit worrying to hear about kids being knifed dead, but that's London street gangs for you, and it doesn't affect most folk. Indeed most people are polite and friendly, as you'd find anywhere.
Good things about being back? The weather - I don't like extreme temperatures, and generally the UK is fairly mild. A bit too cold this last winter I admit... Also, I prefer the range of cakes and biscuits here in the UK - nothing wrong with churros or croissant, but I just prefer the options available here. Lastly, parks, cemeteries and river-walks are fantastic in Britain, thanks in part to the climate, I think.
Good and bad in all countries I suppose. Given the option (as many here know) I'd sooner be back in Madrid; if my business options take off I may even manage it. Otherwise, I find it fine (when in work) back in the UK, especially as I have the internet to keep in touch with things espanyol.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

The original question was "Are the times still tough?" so we are veering away from this into the personal likes or dislikes of living in Britain or Spain. I heard yesterday of a family who literally just walked out of their house leaving their cars and furniture behind to go back to the UK. Personally I think that is crazy but their decision.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 7:58 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
The original question was "Are the times still tough?" so we are veering away from this into the personal likes or dislikes of living in Britain or Spain. I heard yesterday of a family who literally just walked out of their house leaving their cars and furniture behind to go back to the UK. Personally I think that is crazy but their decision.
yep - I know a couple of families who have done that in the past few months
Old Jul 17th 2010, 9:42 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Tough for this guy and his pals also.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-10671044
Old Jul 18th 2010, 9:15 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Believe it or not, the number of tourists to Barcelona increased in the first part of this year:

http://iberianature.com/barcelona/20...ists-increase/

Depsite the crisis, tourist numbers in Barcelona rose in the first quarter, after a 3-year decline, with a 11.7% rise of visitors over the same period in 2009. Average hotel occupancy rate from January to March of 60%, higher than in the same period in the previous year. Spanish tourists make up 34.7% of the total number of visitors.
Could we be seeing the Cricketman theory come true? Middle-class and cultural tourism to increase, while the market for beach tourism declines?
Old Jul 18th 2010, 2:18 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Believe it or not, the number of tourists to Barcelona increased in the first part of this year:

http://iberianature.com/barcelona/20...ists-increase/

Could we be seeing the Cricketman theory come true? Middle-class and cultural tourism to increase, while the market for beach tourism declines?
Not much of a beach decline here.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 9:17 pm
HOODIE

Lushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of light

These are the questions I was kind of replying to. As I had made a move back to the U.K. and it turned out not so good in my personal interest I thought I might answer and think it is within the boundaries of the topic.
Are things still as difficult for people?

Are you still convinced that returning to the UK is the right thing for you to do?
Old Jul 21st 2010, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

Fredthered is a jewel in the roughFredthered is a jewel in the roughFredthered is a jewel in the roughFredthered is a jewel in the rough

SO True, Lushdaddy !
It often seems that literally EVERYBODY over here, has their eye open for the ' Main Chance' to rip you off, for as much as they think they can get away with, if they think you are a ' mark ' ! Times have sure changed.
The secret is to stare them straight in the eyes, and say:
' I defy you to do your worst. Sue the a**e off me, you b*****ds, and I'll just declare myself bankrupt, but only after your Court costs are exhorbitant' !

THAT usually sorts the wheat from the chaff.

Just remember :
Just because you're PARANOID, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you !

Cheers
Fredthered
Old Jul 21st 2010, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Well we had a meal in our local taperia last night a plate of garlic chicken wings, a pllate of hake in batter (delicious) a plate of enormous garlic gambas and a plate of chips plus four beers, total 24 euros.

Pub lunch in the UK ,about the same or cheaper.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 7:09 pm
HOODIE

Originally Posted by Rotor
Pub lunch in the UK ,about the same or cheaper.
Doubt it. That would've been for just the beers.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 7:24 pm
Not Banned (yet)

Doubt it. That would've been for just the beers.
Heh, here in London most pubs charge nearly £4 for a drink (including bottled beer); luckily I rarely visit them. Wetherspoons aren't too bad price wise, but...
Old Jul 21st 2010, 9:43 pm
HOODIE

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Heh, here in London most pubs charge nearly £4 for a drink (including bottled beer); luckily I rarely visit them. Wetherspoons aren't too bad price wise, but...
Leaving 8 puonds to spurn on garlic chicken wings, a plate of hake in batter (delicious) a plate of enormous garlic gambas and a plate of chips.. Can't imagine you'd get that.. You might do. I just can't imagine it..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.