Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Are the times still tough?

Are the times still tough?

Old Jul 16th 2010, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are the times still tough?

Originally Posted by frigilianafreddy
To return to the OP's question.

How can it be cheaper to re-locate to the UK.

1. You have all your removal costs £0000s

2. UK Council tax is about 8 to 10 times the cost of Spain

3. Petrol is 20% to 30% more expensive in the UK.

4. Fuel more expensive in Spain but I need heating for 3 or 4 months a year and no where near as much of it - not 6 or 7 months.

5. Food. About the same but I reckon fish and shellfish are half the price.

6. Wine. Half price in Spain.

7. Meals out. 20% less in Spain

6. Public transport. 50% cheaper in Spain.

So just how does anyone save money by going back to the UK? Obviously I can see the logic if you've been made redundant in Spain, but if you're on a pension of other income how on earth is it cheaper to live in UK?

Yes, of course standard of living has fallen with the 40% fall in the pound and inflation - but it is still cheaper than UK.
Tax credits, pension top-ups, child benefit, JSA, etc.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frigilianafreddy
To return to the OP's question.

How can it be cheaper to re-locate to the UK.

1. You have all your removal costs £0000s

2. UK Council tax is about 8 to 10 times the cost of Spain

3. Petrol is 20% to 30% more expensive in the UK.

4. Fuel more expensive in Spain but I need heating for 3 or 4 months a year and no where near as much of it - not 6 or 7 months.

5. Food. About the same but I reckon fish and shellfish are half the price.

6. Wine. Half price in Spain.

7. Meals out. 20% less in Spain

6. Public transport. 50% cheaper in Spain.

So just how does anyone save money by going back to the UK? Obviously I can see the logic if you've been made redundant in Spain, but if you're on a pension of other income how on earth is it cheaper to live in UK?

Yes, of course standard of living has fallen with the 40% fall in the pound and inflation - but it is still cheaper than UK.
True if your retired but if you work you can earn loads more in the UK giving you a higher standard of living ,I used to earn around 5 times more than in Spain but its a lifestyle thing for me.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 12:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billgates
Tax credits, pension top-ups, child benefit, JSA, etc.
Saw a programme yesterday, young couple with young baby, neither working, and they were getting around £280 a week in benefits!
Old Jul 16th 2010, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

There's a website - http://www.turn2us.org.uk/benefits_search.aspx, that calculates all benefits that you would be entitled to in the uk.

I tried it out for myself and my family, assuming not working, renting a house.

Apparently I could be claiming over 30,000 in benefits. That includes housing benefit for house of suitable size for n school-age children, council tax benefit, and goodness knows what else. And the details I entered were pretty accurate, in that I didn't pretend I was disabled or had children with special needs or anything like that.

I was amazed. To get that income from working you would need a salary of over 35000.
Easy to see how you could make a career out of benefits.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 1:03 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
True if your retired but if you work you can earn loads more in the UK giving you a higher standard of living ,I used to earn around 5 times more than in Spain but its a lifestyle thing for me.
When I first came over, it was mostly for the lifestyle too. My income dropped dramatically, but my quality of life improved beyond belief. It wasn't just the weather, cheapness and friendly people, it was a myriad of other things including the excitement of a new adventure.

I could have gone to Papua New Guinea, and that would have been an even greater adventure, until I found out that they still eat people there.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HBG
When I first came over, it was mostly for the lifestyle too. My income dropped dramatically, but my quality of life improved beyond belief. It wasn't just the weather, cheapness and friendly people, it was a myriad of other things including the excitement of a new adventure.

I could have gone to Papua New Guinea, and that would have been an even greater adventure, until I found out that they still eat people there.
Could be confusing when the neighbours invite you round for dinner
Old Jul 16th 2010, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Are the times still tough? Yes if you are poor and Spanish. Read on

Cadiz news and informationCOSTA DE LA LUZ
- Sanlúcar to Rota & Chiclana to Tarifa.

LOS NIÑOS DE LA CRISIS DEL 2010

We have written here before about the crisis that is looming in La Línea where at least 10,000 people are jobless and many receive no benefits whatsoever.

This situation recently took a chilling turn when the social services stepped in to take into immediate care the three children of Rosana Bautista Vázquez. She is jobless and homeless so has lived with her youngsters at the home of her mother. The children’s grandmother complained to the social welfare service in La Línea that she did not have the resources to care for them all – so instead of stepping in to help – the children were taken away.

If you passed through La Línea on Saturday you may have seen some of the 640 people who signed a petition in the family’s support that was taken round the town in the morning by friends and neighbours supported by Prodeni Campo de Gibraltar – an NGO that protects the rights of children – and “Los Parados” the local unemployed action group. The petition calls on the Andalucía Ombudsman, José Chamizo, to intervene in this family’s plight.

What has angered local residents is that no sooner did the grandmother make her plight known than the 4, 8 and 10 year olds were rushed in to care in Chiclana. There was no attempt to see what help could be given locally in terms of social worker assistance, food aid, housing or other measures. The town hall is strapped for cash so with indecent haste the three mites were bundled off to the Andalucía Government who have put them in a home 100 kilometres away from their family and friends. Even if Rosana could afford to travel to see them there are bureaucratic obstacles put in her way.

Rosana has documentation from the regional government after an investigation in to her case. She is said to care dearly for her children, they are in good health, there is no evidence of domestic violence, they had not been abandoned – her one crime is she is poor.

Prodeni is demanding to know why the dreadful situation Rosana finds herself in could not have been settled locally in La Línea by the town hall. More worrying still there are thousands of families in the border town in the same plight. The parents are on the dole and facing the same crisis as Rosana without money, housing, food and dependent on their children’s grandparents. So will they too have their children snatched from them? Prodeni warns that future generations will speak of “Los niños de la crisis del 2010” –another black spot in Spain’s social history.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
If a pensioner is renting in Spain for around £500 pm. they would be better off in the UK as they would get full rent rebate and pay no council tax. Not everyone in Spain has low council tax anyway, can be a 1000 euro on the coast.

I don't think it is cheaper to eat out in Spain. Don't know about public transport, haven't used it in 15 years and hope I never have to

Not sure if the OP was asking about price comparisons, thought it was about the general situation in Spain
Agreed , a working lunch is cheaper in the UK , but a good evening meal is on a par though in many cases.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HBG

They rape them first usually
Old Jul 16th 2010, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Well we had a meal in our local taperia last night a plate of garlic chicken wings, a pllate of hake in batter (delicious) a plate of enormous garlic gambas and a plate of chips plus four beers, total 24 euros.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 2:18 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir

We have written here before about the crisis that is looming in La Línea where at least 10,000 people are jobless and many receive no benefits whatsoever.

This situation recently took a chilling turn when the social services stepped in to take into immediate care the three children of Rosana Bautista Vázquez. She is jobless and homeless so has lived with her youngsters at the home of her mother. The children’s grandmother complained to the social welfare service in La Línea that she did not have the resources to care for them all – so instead of stepping in to help – the children were taken away.

If you passed through La Línea on Saturday you may have seen some of the 640 people who signed a petition in the family’s support that was taken round the town in the morning by friends and neighbours supported by Prodeni Campo de Gibraltar – an NGO that protects the rights of children – and “Los Parados” the local unemployed action group. The petition calls on the Andalucía Ombudsman, José Chamizo, to intervene in this family’s plight.

What has angered local residents is that no sooner did the grandmother make her plight known than the 4, 8 and 10 year olds were rushed in to care in Chiclana. There was no attempt to see what help could be given locally in terms of social worker assistance, food aid, housing or other measures. The town hall is strapped for cash so with indecent haste the three mites were bundled off to the Andalucía Government who have put them in a home 100 kilometres away from their family and friends. Even if Rosana could afford to travel to see them there are bureaucratic obstacles put in her way.

Rosana has documentation from the regional government after an investigation in to her case. She is said to care dearly for her children, they are in good health, there is no evidence of domestic violence, they had not been abandoned – her one crime is she is poor.

Prodeni is demanding to know why the dreadful situation Rosana finds herself in could not have been settled locally in La Línea by the town hall. More worrying still there are thousands of families in the border town in the same plight. The parents are on the dole and facing the same crisis as Rosana without money, housing, food and dependent on their children’s grandparents. So will they too have their children snatched from them? Prodeni warns that future generations will speak of “Los niños de la crisis del 2010” –another black spot in Spain’s social history.
Bloody hell! Sounds like Victorian times and the workhouse.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

They were also collecting food for the poor in our local supermarket.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 3:31 pm
HOODIE

Lushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by agoreira
Saw a programme yesterday, young couple with young baby, neither working, and they were getting around £280 a week in benefits!
I saw that, they didn't actually have 280 to throw around. They came out with about 30 quid for food and the lad wanted a job so they didn't have to live on benefits. It was a case of 2 people who 'needed' the benefits initially, got sucked into the hole of despair where if you get a job you may be worse off and with a baby to think of you don't want to be left homeless. You say it as though they are disgusting people. You really are a one.
Why do you keep mentioning other peoples posts who you have on ignore too.? If you have them on ignore, then ignore them and stop being childish and mentioning them in your posts. It becomes very annoying. I have no wish to put anybody on ignore as that seems the most ignorant thing to do.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 4:33 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Bloody hell! Sounds like Victorian times and the workhouse.
Dreadful, story and yes it does sound like a Dickens novel.

There should be a happy medium so cases like the above do not happen in the civilsed world, and cases like below don happen in the UK.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lage-boss.html

I must say though that as a Spaniard I am sick of my countrymen getting s**t on from a great height when they are in need, and their country all but abandoning them.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 4:46 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=HBG;8705803]When I first came over, it was mostly for the lifestyle too. My income dropped dramatically, but my quality of life improved beyond belief. It wasn't just the weather, cheapness and friendly people, it was a myriad of other things including the excitement of a new adventure.

I could have gone to Papua New Guinea, and that would have been an even greater adventure, until I found out that they still eat people there.[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by billgates
Could be confusing when the neighbours invite you round for dinner
A mate of mine lived in PNG and a friend of his said "I dont like your mother in law" my mate said "never mind just eat your chips".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.