Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Are the times still tough?

Are the times still tough?

Old Aug 8th 2010, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

ted1 has a brilliant futureted1 has a brilliant futureted1 has a brilliant futureted1 has a brilliant futureted1 has a brilliant futureted1 has a brilliant futureted1 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Are the times still tough?

Originally Posted by elspeth sinclair
what I found offensive in TED-1's letter was his opinion of professional Spaniards like doctors, lawyers, accountants, builders and mechanics but no mention of British cowboys especially in the last two categories. I object to some of the most beautiful non coastal parts of Spain, only half an hour from the beaches, being referred to as the sticks and implying that there are neither jobs, shops or services there. I live 30minutes walk from the mediaeval and cultural city of Xativa with a population of 40,000 and a train station from which you can travel to almost any part of spain. I've never been bitten by mosquitos as I don't live near stagnant water. My house I bought and had renovated to my own plans by a wonderful Spanish builder six years ago I could sell for three times that tomorrow but I intend to die in it. I have air conditioning, instant heat in winter and instant cold in summer and find it quite cheap but then I'm a canny Scot and don't leave it on if I leave the room. I also have a huge woodburner which I only use on high days and holidays even though we have free wood from our orange grove. We all did our sums before we came but nobody could have forseen the crisis we have now. we have never had a car in our 18 years in Spain and never missed one. British businesses in Spain are failing every day both legal and illegai ones so that's not a route I would advise anyone to take unless they had enough cash to get it underway without expecting an instant income. If Brits are the only people you trust I'm sure I don't know what brought you to Spain. Personally I could not live in a house with a leaky roof as I would be afraid of getting my rugs, slippers and dressing gown wet or have an nasty fall and have to rely on an uninvestigated doctor.
Hello Elspeth.
What a hoo haa!
Just to say when I said check everybody out I didn't mention any nationality. I personally have had 2 crap English accountants that because of their lack of knowledge on the Spanish tax system have cost me a few bob in fines. My Spanish accountant is fantastic. I said Doctor because there has been a rogue Dr of French origin that has been written about- he actually performed operations (including on a friend of mine) and had forged certificates but worked in a renowned clinic! I kept the news artical and can post it if you like. Lawyers, Mayors, Notaries we all know of the backhanders and 'illegal?' homes sold. Basically I meant check anybody who is going to be dealing with your life savings or indeed life, whatever nationality (mechanics- I know one place that isn't that good when dealing with brakes!)
We Brits can easily be fooled with the "he/she seemed so nice". Some people aren't that nice unfortunately. No matter what country your in.
You may well find living inland great, and I'm glad it works for you, but I know of a lot of people who live 20 mins inland in empty urbanizacions where there are no local shops, don't have a car or don't like to drive on the motorway, getting on a bit and want a bit of life around them, they feel isolated. This is sometimes because they have jumped in too quickly and not really thought about what their needs are/will be, outside of their lovely developments.
I don't drink anymore (the measures in Spain are too generous) so I don't huddle in any smoky pubs, I just meant local pubs and clubs, not as in discos, as in bowls or spanish class or charity events or whatever are a good way of getting to know people. You can't deny if your new to Spain you need your fellow brits to show you the ropes. Why should a Spaniard know where the foreiners dept is or be able to translate any letter/bill. I didn't say don't make Spanish friends.
I too have air/heat con but can't afford it on all summer and winter. I have a gas bottle heater (and as mentioned pj's and dressingown) With all this marble everywhere my place is freezing and I do miss carpet and central heating (your going to say i'm sad). I'm sorry but I do.
I think to be fair to you my part of Spain (Costa del Sol) is probably very different to yours. We all experience different things, in different areas. The same as in every country. Your life may be great but some people have lost everything. I would just advise people in the current climate who are thinking of moving anywhere in the world to think carefully.
Finally, I can assure you i'm not trying to be smug, I should of mentioned I too bought a property before I came to Spain, but had to move 500km away for work. Luckily my house was cheap when I bought it, and with the rest of my life savings I went into business (it was that or telesales). I couldn't afford a 2nd house so I rent where my business is. Meanwhile I can't sell my house, I don't know if I could give it away! I am lucky that I don't have to sell it.
There are great things about Spain and in general I'm fortunate it's worked for me. Just saying 'buyer beware' no matter what country!
Regards, Ted.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 7:59 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ted nice to see you back in the saddle.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 8:26 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Ted's second post interrupted my intention to reply to the lack of positives pointed out by white linen, but it's another sensible post and thought provoking.

Positives? We've just had close family here for a week, my daughter is still on the phone to my wife to thank her.

They paid their way (not that they had to) and we've got photographs of five of us in the pool along with two dogs and everyone was smiling. They've had a week of 38 degrees of unbroken sunshine, walks along Spanish beaches, Spanish meals of excellent quality and English karaoke to make your eyes water (and a curry evening that made everything water).

That, surely is what it's all about – enjoying life to the full – Spain is a place where you can make it happen because it's welcoming and friendly. Of course we could all have had a great time at Clacton too, but not at 38 degrees and I have to say that the Essex people are less friendly. And the beaches are crap.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ted1
Meanwhile I can't sell my house, I don't know if I could give it away!
You are not alone, there are over over a million properties on the market, but the lady in question could sell hers tomorrow for 3 times what it cost her! You'll have to find out what she knows that you and the rest don't.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 9:09 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Ignorance is bliss Maybe it's the 38C heat
Old Aug 8th 2010, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by agoreira
You are not alone, there are over over a million properties on the market, but the lady in question could sell hers tomorrow for 3 times what it cost her! You'll have to find out what she knows that you and the rest don't.

Property was cheap 8 to 10 years ago especially in the area the poster mentions. Property prices peaked 2006/2007 and have obviously fallen back but not to 2000 levels, not there anyhow.

I sold a small urban plot about 6 months ago for 10 times what I paid for it in 2002.

What I dont understand is why you and a few others, continually mock people who had/have the wherewithal to make a good investment and get out with a decent profit?
Old Aug 9th 2010, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ted1
Hello Elspeth.
What a hoo haa!
Just to say when I said check everybody out I didn't mention any nationality. I personally have had 2 crap English accountants that because of their lack of knowledge on the Spanish tax system have cost me a few bob in fines. My Spanish accountant is fantastic. I said Doctor because there has been a rogue Dr of French origin that has been written about- he actually performed operations (including on a friend of mine) and had forged certificates but worked in a renowned clinic! I kept the news artical and can post it if you like. Lawyers, Mayors, Notaries we all know of the backhanders and 'illegal?' homes sold. Basically I meant check anybody who is going to be dealing with your life savings or indeed life, whatever nationality (mechanics- I know one place that isn't that good when dealing with brakes!)
We Brits can easily be fooled with the "he/she seemed so nice". Some people aren't that nice unfortunately. No matter what country your in.
You may well find living inland great, and I'm glad it works for you, but I know of a lot of people who live 20 mins inland in empty urbanizacions where there are no local shops, don't have a car or don't like to drive on the motorway, getting on a bit and want a bit of life around them, they feel isolated. This is sometimes because they have jumped in too quickly and not really thought about what their needs are/will be, outside of their lovely developments.
I don't drink anymore (the measures in Spain are too generous) so I don't huddle in any smoky pubs, I just meant local pubs and clubs, not as in discos, as in bowls or spanish class or charity events or whatever are a good way of getting to know people. You can't deny if your new to Spain you need your fellow brits to show you the ropes. Why should a Spaniard know where the foreiners dept is or be able to translate any letter/bill. I didn't say don't make Spanish friends.
I too have air/heat con but can't afford it on all summer and winter. I have a gas bottle heater (and as mentioned pj's and dressingown) With all this marble everywhere my place is freezing and I do miss carpet and central heating (your going to say i'm sad). I'm sorry but I do.
I think to be fair to you my part of Spain (Costa del Sol) is probably very different to yours. We all experience different things, in different areas. The same as in every country. Your life may be great but some people have lost everything. I would just advise people in the current climate who are thinking of moving anywhere in the world to think carefully.
Finally, I can assure you i'm not trying to be smug, I should of mentioned I too bought a property before I came to Spain, but had to move 500km away for work. Luckily my house was cheap when I bought it, and with the rest of my life savings I went into business (it was that or telesales). I couldn't afford a 2nd house so I rent where my business is. Meanwhile I can't sell my house, I don't know if I could give it away! I am lucky that I don't have to sell it.
There are great things about Spain and in general I'm fortunate it's worked for me. Just saying 'buyer beware' no matter what country!
Regards, Ted.
Are you the same chap who wrote before as you actually sound alright when you explain things properly. I lived in Alhaurin el Grande in 1963. Ran a gay bar in Torremoinos in 65-67. I have friends in Competa. I know Andalucia very well and loved it and learned horrible Spanish there. There were few Brits except in Marbella who made a religion of not mixing with the natives but it was the real Spain everywhere else a bit like being on the edge of a black dangerous place.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 8:36 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
What I dont understand is why you and a few others, continually mock people who had/have the wherewithal to make a good investment and get out with a decent profit?
I don't think it's that at all. I think he didn't realise that the purchase was made a looong time ago when land went for prices that were very low even by today's crisis depressed levels.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 8:47 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
I don't think it's that at all. I think he didn't realise that the purchase was made a looong time ago when land went for prices that were very low even by today's crisis depressed levels.
The time factor plays a big part in investments, I know lots of ordinary working folk in parts of the UK, that have properties that are worth LOADS.

Not becsue they were "particulary astute" it just so happened that when they bought " en el ano catapun", some of us were getting on with the job of just being born.

The same as in Spain, anyone who bought in the 60s will make a great profit, even in todays market, as you say Bil.

Good luck to them anyway, its good when things turn out well.

It is more a question of years under your belt, than good business acumen.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 8:59 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
The time factor plays a big part in investments, I know lots of ordinary working folk in parts of the UK, that have properties that are worth LOADS.

Not becsue they were "particulary astute" it just so happened that when they bought " en el ano catapun", some of us were getting on with the job of just being born.

The same as in Spain, anyone who bought in the 60s will make a great profit, even in todays market, as you say Bil.

Good luck to them anyway, its good when things turn out well.

It is more a question of years under your belt, than good business acumen.

The older I get, the more I suspect that it is far more down to luck than it ever is down to skill.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bil
The older I get, the more I suspect that it is far more down to luck than it ever is down to skill.
TOTALLY. I'd classify myself as an "accidental investor". Not once have I every bought a property thinking 'investment', or 'resale value'. No, it was just a roof over my head....something necessary like buying bread or cheese.

I was simply lucky that I bought at the time I did and managed to cash in quite nicely. I'm sure that if I was 10 years younger I'd have bought at the 'wrong' time and instead of being an accidental investor I'd be accidentally bankrupt!!.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 9:51 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Veleta
TOTALLY. I'd classify myself as an "accidental investor". Not once have I every bought a property thinking 'investment', or 'resale value'. No, it was just a roof over my head....something necessary like buying bread or cheese.

I was simply lucky that I bought at the time I did and managed to cash in quite nicely. I'm sure that if I was 10 years younger I'd have bought at the 'wrong' time and instead of being an accidental investor I'd be accidentally bankrupt!!.
How true, every one I know who is doing well, has done so by accident, so to speak.

The ones I know who have spent their whole lives planning a busting a gut with the "life plan" have not been so lucky.

Also a lot of families that left Spain years ago to go to richer climes have also done very well, in most cases by sending money to relatives to primarily help them out, but those relatives in a lot of cases have invested in businesses and such.

At the time they had little hope of ever paying the money back and so the "overseas family in the UK" agreed for a share of future profits.

Most did not hold out any hope of ever seeing the money or any profits from their good deed, but have been very pleasantly surprised at the end result of the "fortuous" bailing out of their nearest and dearest.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 10:25 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I think a lot of it is down to luck, sort of let the investment find you instead of looking for an investment. Some have bought properties in an upmarket area and it's gone downmarket, others the opposite. I think property should be for pleasure.

I know one boring guy who was always talking (bragging) about his "property portfolio" consisted of his house in Spain and 2 off-plan purchases, 2 in Bulgaria and 2 in Morrocco. As you can imagine he doesn't say much now, even the villa he lives in has lost it's sea view!
Old Aug 9th 2010, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I think a lot of it is down to luck, sort of let the investment find you instead of looking for an investment. Some have bought properties in an upmarket area and it's gone downmarket, others the opposite. I think property should be for pleasure.

I know one boring guy who was always talking (bragging) about his "property portfolio" consisted of his house in Spain and 2 off-plan purchases, 2 in Bulgaria and 2 in Morrocco. As you can imagine he doesn't say much now, even the villa he lives in has lost it's sea view!
My personal view is anyone who buys in Morroco is nuts Imagine the coruption and bureaucratic B.S there
Old Aug 9th 2010, 3:52 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
My personal view is anyone who buys in Morroco is nuts Imagine the coruption and bureaucratic B.S there
We had a short holiday in Tangier some years ago and met a canny Scotsman who had just bought a large four-bedroomed apartment right in the centre of town for £10,000. It wasn't a new build and even had sea views. He intended to retire to his bargain property. While we, and most of the other hotel guests were complaining about the constant begging in the unsafe streets, he was praising the locals, fervently.

On the last evening he limped into the hotel, battered and bruised, having just been mugged. I don't know how he got on with his bargain buy, but he didn't say much that evening.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.