Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Are the times still tough?

Are the times still tough?

Old Aug 4th 2010, 4:31 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are the times still tough?

Originally Posted by John & Kath
This is one of my hobbyhorses. I am told that newsprint (the actual paper) is cheaper in Spain than UK the text is all written in UK and sent all over UK and Europe as text files to be printed close to the distribution. Rail costs and I suspect road cost are cheaper in Spain.

How in gods name can Murdoch justify charging €5.20 for the Sunday Times in Spain against £2.20 in UK.

If theat is the case then the locals are really being shafted when buying the SPANISH paper as there is none available for less than 1euro.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

Casita has a spectacular aura aboutCasita has a spectacular aura aboutCasita has a spectacular aura about

I think Spanish newspapers are very expensive, and usually most bars get at least 2 per day, every day. they are full of politics and sport, oh, also take up about 3 pages of obituary notices

Can't do the crossword, but do the sudoku
Old Aug 6th 2010, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bil
Or possibly just doesn't see it as we do? Some people do accept the governmental line (as it were) and assume that everything is done for their good, and to quote Voltaire, 'everything is for the best in this the best of all possible worlds.'

The rest of us, having glimpsed behind the veil are unable thereafter to trust the smiles and false promises.
What happened to optimism. Perhaps only women suffer from that while silly old boys prefer to play with their guns.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 7:30 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elspeth sinclair
What happened to optimism. Perhaps only women suffer from that while silly old boys prefer to play with their guns.
Ah nothing like a bit of sexist humour, eh?

In my book, blind optimism is the comfort of fools.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bil
Ah nothing like a bit of sexist humour, eh?

In my book, blind optimism is the comfort of fools.

Perhaps, but we have a lot more fun and every day is an adventure.
Old Aug 6th 2010, 8:29 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casita
I think Spanish newspapers are very expensive, and usually most bars get at least 2 per day, every day. they are full of politics and sport, oh, also take up about 3 pages of obituary notices

Can't do the crossword, but do the sudoku
Surprising that people still buy newspapers at all, with the internet and bars to read them for free. I suspect Spanish newspapers were expensive because of the greater distances and harsher terrain in the past, but in these days of ever-improved transport you'd have thought the prices would have eased. And they still get loads of advertising of a certain kind grouped as "Relax" !!! Funnily there used to be loads of free papers in the bigger cities, but I suspect they may have folded...
Old Aug 7th 2010, 8:07 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elspeth sinclair
Perhaps, but we have a lot more fun and every day is an adventure.
Prithee, had I made the same all encompassing sort of statement about women, what would you have said? I would have had half a dozen harpies jumping up and down on me and screaming how unfair it was.

As for fools, I remember a wonderful cartoon entitled 'The low IQ and how it can make every day exciting'. It featured such a person peering into his empty mailbox with a look of wonder saying ' So, this is what they mean by NO MAIL!'
Old Aug 7th 2010, 9:41 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I met up with an old schoolfriend who had spent his entire life in the small, dead town where we went to school. When I tried to tell him about the few wonders of the world I had seen, the Grand Canyon, the Sydney Opera House and the Tower of London, he kept patting my arm telling me how sorry he was that I had to endure all those things.

He's one of the happiest persons I know. Although he's only two hours flying time away from Spain, he'll never see it, he's never been farther than 10 miles away from the place of his birth.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Today in our local market there was a guy begging. He was not from Eastern Europe but looked Spanish, middle aged. Felt so sorry for him. Normally I don´t give but he looked like he genuinely need it so I did.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HBG
I met up with an old schoolfriend who had spent his entire life in the small, dead town where we went to school. When I tried to tell him about the few wonders of the world I had seen, the Grand Canyon, the Sydney Opera House and the Tower of London, he kept patting my arm telling me how sorry he was that I had to endure all those things.

He's one of the happiest persons I know. Although he's only two hours flying time away from Spain, he'll never see it, he's never been farther than 10 miles away from the place of his birth.
Although we have all drifted from the thread, your story reminds me of an old man I was home help to in Sanday, Orkney. Old Jeemo lived in the north end of the island and my husband's family farmed in the south end 18 miles away. During the war he said he had to visit my father-in-law, who was also the man who repaired bicycles on the island and sold spare parts. This was his only trip to the south end and he said,"What stirring times." He was then 80 years old and very happy.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 12:38 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Today in our local market there was a guy begging. He was not from Eastern Europe but looked Spanish, middle aged. Felt so sorry for him. Normally I don´t give but he looked like he genuinely need it so I did.
It's funny that we try and weigh up how deserving a person is - I'm certainly guilty of this. I certainly don't give anything to the dog-on-a-stick young crustie types you see - even though they may have mental or abuse problems. I always assume they're making a lifestyle choice to doss with their mates. Besides which, in the UK they probably receive more social than I did when I was out of work. Yet when you see a middle aged person (normally male although you do see the odd bag lady) who's obviously homeless, it's hard not to give anything, and they could be just feeding an alcohol habit. It's just I can't see them ever being the opportunity to work again, I know from experience it's difficult enough for decent stable reliable workers to get the chance past a certain age.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
It's funny that we try and weigh up how deserving a person is - I'm certainly guilty of this. I certainly don't give anything to the dog-on-a-stick young crustie types you see - even though they may have mental or abuse problems. I always assume they're making a lifestyle choice to doss with their mates. Besides which, in the UK they probably receive more social than I did when I was out of work. Yet when you see a middle aged person (normally male although you do see the odd bag lady) who's obviously homeless, it's hard not to give anything, and they could be just feeding an alcohol habit. It's just I can't see them ever being the opportunity to work again, I know from experience it's difficult enough for decent stable reliable workers to get the chance past a certain age.
This guy just looked like your normal middle aged worker it must be so hard pride wise to do it.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 3:08 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by HBG

There's a very fine line between contentment in a simple life, and foolishness in missing out on so much.

Damned if I know quite where you'd draw the line.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

ted1 has a brilliant futureted1 has a brilliant futureted1 has a brilliant futureted1 has a brilliant futureted1 has a brilliant futureted1 has a brilliant futureted1 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by BorderGirl
I have read with interest the thread on people wanting to move back to the UK for various reasons. While alot of us are thinking of going to Spain or other countries, are you still thinking of returning from there?

Are things still as difficult for people?

Are you still convinced that returning to the UK is the right thing for you to do?
DON'T buy a property.
Take a 3 month rental as you may find you want/need to move to another property/location.
Unless you are accustomed to living in the sticks don't be tempted to go inland because it's cheaper- you will find yourself driving to the coast daily for shopping/work. Buses don't go everywhere and taxis are expensive.
DON"T trust anyone until you know them VERY well and if possible do checks on them (Dr's/ Lawyers/Accountants/Builders/Mechanics etc).
Don't move lock stock and barrel if possible, until you are sure Spain is for you. A lot of people stay for around 6-8 years and then want to go 'home'. By that time you may not be able to afford to get back in the UK housing market. And if you've bought something you may not be able to sell as quickly as you'd like, if at all.
Renting is cheaper then buying, no service charge, no taxes, no cost if the roof/patio leaks due to torrential rain (happened to us all this year).
Unless you are prepared to learn Spanish, life WILL be harder.
The summers are extremely hot. Not that much fun if you have to work in it. Air con on, mosquitos out, curtains shut. Traffic a nightmare, beaches busy. (washing dries quickly though!).
The winters are cold. Individual heaters on in several rooms, rugs down, pjs and dressing gown on!
Jobs with contracts are hard to come by (as employees are hard to sack and get huge payouts if they are)
Instead of buying a house here, I put my money into starting my own business and renting a property. This has worked for me as the business is successful, pays me a good wage, and all my bills, rent etc. If I want I can move house at any time (You can't do that when you own) Also If I'd bought a property 8 years ago I would now be looking at half price! That's IF you can sell it. If you are thinking of your own business I would advise against a bar or restaurant (do you want to work night and day 365 days a year, with loads of competition undercutting you?) Or any 'luxury' business. Times are tough everywhere and a 'necessity' business is best. DO YOUR HOMEWORK!
Live amongst the British initially as they have all been there, done that and can help you on your way. We all seem to stick together here and if you go to your nearby bars or clubs you will make friends in no time -even with your neighbour! If your from London like me you will know we can live next to people for years and still not know their names.
You WILL work harder then ever for less money. But you will need less money.
You can park virtually anywhere for free. You can smoke in a lot of bars and restaraunts still. You don't feel as if 'Big Brother' is watching you all the time- not many speed cameras hardly any traffic wardens. Although burglaries and pick pocketing (not mugging!) seems to be rising, (a sign of the recession) you still don't feel threatened in general. I haven't seen a hoody here! There are no imigrants sponging off the state as they get sod all and so will you if you lose your job and haven't paid enough tax and even then you will only get a certain amount for a short time.
Life is more relaxed but likewise when you want something done today, it won't be- next month more likely.
You WILL have frequent visitors from 'home'.
The first 6 months are the hardest.
I personally think Spain will come back from the dead. Weather's great, euro will eventually go back down, property is getting cheap again, and most importantly it's only 2-4 hours away from the UK. A lot of people that move to Australia/New Zealand/USA realise too late that it's a long way from home and expensive to get to. Turkey, Cyprus, and Dubai are muslim states so there is always that uncertanty, what if another 9/11 happens?
Spain has it's pros and cons, it really is what you make of it.
Ted.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 6:01 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ted1
DON'T buy a property.
Take a 3 month rental as you may find you want/need to move to another property/location.
Unless you are accustomed to living in the sticks don't be tempted to go inland because it's cheaper- you will find yourself driving to the coast daily for shopping/work. Buses don't go everywhere and taxis are expensive.
DON"T trust anyone until you know them VERY well and if possible do checks on them (Dr's/ Lawyers/Accountants/Builders/Mechanics etc).
Don't move lock stock and barrel if possible, until you are sure Spain is for you. A lot of people stay for around 6-8 years and then want to go 'home'. By that time you may not be able to afford to get back in the UK housing market. And if you've bought something you may not be able to sell as quickly as you'd like, if at all.
Renting is cheaper then buying, no service charge, no taxes, no cost if the roof/patio leaks due to torrential rain (happened to us all this year).
Unless you are prepared to learn Spanish, life WILL be harder.
The summers are extremely hot. Not that much fun if you have to work in it. Air con on, mosquitos out, curtains shut. Traffic a nightmare, beaches busy. (washing dries quickly though!).
The winters are cold. Individual heaters on in several rooms, rugs down, pjs and dressing gown on!
Jobs with contracts are hard to come by (as employees are hard to sack and get huge payouts if they are)
Instead of buying a house here, I put my money into starting my own business and renting a property. This has worked for me as the business is successful, pays me a good wage, and all my bills, rent etc. If I want I can move house at any time (You can't do that when you own) Also If I'd bought a property 8 years ago I would now be looking at half price! That's IF you can sell it. If you are thinking of your own business I would advise against a bar or restaurant (do you want to work night and day 365 days a year, with loads of competition undercutting you?) Or any 'luxury' business. Times are tough everywhere and a 'necessity' business is best. DO YOUR HOMEWORK!
Live amongst the British initially as they have all been there, done that and can help you on your way. We all seem to stick together here and if you go to your nearby bars or clubs you will make friends in no time -even with your neighbour! If your from London like me you will know we can live next to people for years and still not know their names.
You WILL work harder then ever for less money. But you will need less money.
You can park virtually anywhere for free. You can smoke in a lot of bars and restaraunts still. You don't feel as if 'Big Brother' is watching you all the time- not many speed cameras hardly any traffic wardens. Although burglaries and pick pocketing (not mugging!) seems to be rising, (a sign of the recession) you still don't feel threatened in general. I haven't seen a hoody here! There are no imigrants sponging off the state as they get sod all and so will you if you lose your job and haven't paid enough tax and even then you will only get a certain amount for a short time.
Life is more relaxed but likewise when you want something done today, it won't be- next month more likely.
You WILL have frequent visitors from 'home'.
The first 6 months are the hardest.
I personally think Spain will come back from the dead. Weather's great, euro will eventually go back down, property is getting cheap again, and most importantly it's only 2-4 hours away from the UK. A lot of people that move to Australia/New Zealand/USA realise too late that it's a long way from home and expensive to get to. Turkey, Cyprus, and Dubai are muslim states so there is always that uncertanty, what if another 9/11 happens?
Spain has it's pros and cons, it really is what you make of it.
Ted.
For only a second post TED, you really have let rip.....

It makes great reading, and very well thought out, welcome.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.