Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Timely warning on car rental sneeky charges

Timely warning on car rental sneeky charges

Old Mar 12th 2011, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Timely warning on car rental sneeky charges

Hi all just back from a 8 dayer on the Costa Blanca. Just to let you all know the latest on car rental rip offs. They now charge automatically in euro's and convert to sterling for you, there is some very small print on the rental document that says they have reliably informed you of this ( they don't! they just do it)

The exchange rate they offer is very poor, for us this worked out at a rate of £1.06 !!! then on top of this there is a 2% charge for them doing the transaction.

If you are only visiting and paying by credit card as they ask for, its best to tell them you want the card charging in euro's not sterling. Let the card company do the conversion for you at a better rate than offered by the rental company.

Again fuel charges are on the up, we were asked to hand over 107€ for a tank of diesel of course you have to pay it and because its diesel you take half of it back, we clocked up nearly 500k in the time we were there yet still took it back with the needle hovering on the half full mark.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 7:22 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Timely warning on car rental sneeky charges

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
Hi all just back from a 8 dayer on the Costa Blanca. Just to let you all know the latest on car rental rip offs. They now charge automatically in euro's and convert to sterling for you, there is some very small print on the rental document that says they have reliably informed you of this ( they don't! they just do it)

The exchange rate they offer is very poor, for us this worked out at a rate of £1.06 !!! then on top of this there is a 2% charge for them doing the transaction.

If you are only visiting and paying by credit card as they ask for, its best to tell them you want the card charging in euro's not sterling. Let the card company do the conversion for you at a better rate than offered by the rental company.

Again fuel charges are on the up, we were asked to hand over 107€ for a tank of diesel of course you have to pay it and because its diesel you take half of it back, we clocked up nearly 500k in the time we were there yet still took it back with the needle hovering on the half full mark.
Was that one of the major better known rental companies ?
Old Mar 12th 2011, 9:24 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

A company I know you just put in what you want to use.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 9:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

I always use a company that does not charge for a full tank, it's a complete rip off. There are still companies out there that don't insist on a full tank. Same with the extra cover, €3-€5 a day, or whatever they charge, I use an annual policy, UK company, costs about £45 for a year, as many trips as you want up to 28 days. I took a car back last year, and for the first time in over 25 years of hiring cars, it was badly damaged on the back door and rear wing. The guy checking it in said, "Ah, a small scratch, señor!" And that was it, nothing more said! What a nice man, I couldn't believe it.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
I always use a company that does not charge for a full tank, it's a complete rip off. There are still companies out there that don't insist on a full tank. Same with the extra cover, €3-€5 a day, or whatever they charge, I use an annual policy, UK company, costs about £45 for a year, as many trips as you want up to 28 days. I took a car back last year, and for the first time in over 25 years of hiring cars, it was badly damaged on the back door and rear wing. The guy checking it in said, "Ah, a small scratch, señor!" And that was it, nothing more said! What a nice man, I couldn't believe it.
Could you post a link, please?
Old Mar 12th 2011, 11:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montgomail
Could you post a link, please?
There are a few about, I use this one. When I renewed last year they had a deal on, £43, but normally it's £49.
http://www.insurance4carhire.com/
Old Mar 13th 2011, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Was that one of the major better known rental companies ?

That was Goldcar- rented through carhire3000 a subsidiary of Jet2.com. Goldcar has to be the major player at Alicante airport. Having said that the others all seem to operate a cartel and renting from them is just the same as renting from Goldcar.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

I always use a company that does not charge for a full tank, it's a complete rip off.

Which company is that?
Old Mar 14th 2011, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

I always use a company that does not charge for a full tank, it's a complete rip off.

The company name would be helpful.