Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

TIME, Gentlemen, Please.."Sunny Days are Here Again!"

TIME, Gentlemen, Please.."Sunny Days are Here Again!"

Old Jun 16th 2008, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

ScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really nice
Arrow TIME, Gentlemen, Please.."Sunny Days are Here Again!"

´
A BRIEF thread to reach more expats than the other long ones will!

The following letter from CancerResearchUK(.org) was in response to my series of complaints
concerning the appearance of the unjustified slogan:
"Take Care from 11am to 3pm" in OVERSEAS locations.

Sections in BLUE are less relevant, but still of interest.

´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´ ´´´´´´´Cancer Research UK
11005 CADIZ
Spain

Full info on the following website: (Recommend section on "Going away this spring?" in paragraphs on "Whilst you’re there"):
´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´ ´´´´´(http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/hea...nsmart/?a=5441 )
10th August 2005

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your correspondence dated 5 August 2005 to Cancer Research UK.

Cancer Research UK has been funded by the UK Health Departments to run the SunSmart campaign. ´
The campaign aims to reduce the awareness of the preventable nature of skin cancer and effective
methods of sun protection.
Our remit is to promote the campaign to UK residents.

As you have pointed out, the advice in our SunSmart code is therefore most relevant to the UK mainland.
We are aware of variations in solar noons, and as result, the Smart campaign proactive activities
and press releases
are contained within the UK.

When promoting the importance of sun protection on overseas holidays, we always encourage people to look at the Solar UV Index
for their location.
We have taken the advice of the W. H. O. who developed the Global Solar UV Index
in that the maximum UV radiation level occurs during the four-hour period around solar noon*.
We promote that depending on geographical location and whether daylight saving time is applied, solar noon
takes place between local clocktime noon and 2 p.m.**
This would then alert the holidaymaker to any local variations in intensity and duration of ultraviolet peak levels.

The original press article in the EuroWeekly News, was a conglomerate of a number of different press releases
which Cancer Research UK has released. I have confirmed with our press department that none of those releases were sent to the
Euro Weekly News.
Therefore, the paper must have picked up the information from a newswire service.

We hope you would agree that the SunSmart code suggestions such as seeking shade during the peak
UV period, covering up and using sunscreen are appropriate wherever you are.

However, to minimise this situation occurring again;***
• We will look at the SunSmart website to reinforce the dangers of seeking sun overseas, both in terms of the increased intensity
of ultraviolet radiation in countries closer to the equator, but also the variation in those intensities across the day.

I think we could make a specific mention of the Spanish variation as an example.
• We have briefed our Press team, so if international journalists make enquiries, we can alert them to international differences.
• Reconfirmed that our database of press agencies which SunSmart press releases are distributed to does not include international
journalists

We thank you for providing detailed information on this subject, and hope this addresses your concerns.

Jo Viner Smith
SunSmart Campaign Manager
Cancer Research UK

(Ms. Viner Smith no longer works in CR UK).

COMMENTS:
* Internationally, a 5-hour period is on recommendation - because of the ozone reduction in the atmosphere.

** NOT good enough! I have consistently objected that locations such as Galicia and Brittany experience
nearly to the upper limit of (3 pm - this reference to the above letter is not to be confused with the stated
slogan times!) on account of the closeness of the next TIME MERIDIAN longitude to the West!

*** I haven´t been able to detect positively that any of the desired points have been activated at all!

For the following, as a comprehensive guide, SPAIN, the CANARY ISLANDS & WESTERN FRANCE,
the minimal interval for great care is now AT LEAST 12 noon to 4 pm on the clocks - BUT,
in the Western extreme locations in Spain and France, such as Galicia and Brittany, the period
should be extended to 5 pm ( and anyway, provides the 5-hour period of protection).

The Congress of Dermatologists in Cadiz, Spain, in June 2007 issued a recommendation
that the period of 12 noon to 5 pm should be extended before and after for young children!

ScarletPlumBlossomCadiz, 16 / VI / 2008
Old Jun 16th 2008, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

DebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TIME, Gentlemen, Please.."Sunny Days are Here Again!"

Why did you have to open a new thread? It`s the same content as the last one.... and the one before that.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 11:35 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Why, oh why must we have duplicate threads for the same stuff, and by the same author ????????

Can the monopolies commission step in please!

I've just re-read all the threads/posts and still don't realy understand what's going on.

So the sun's hot, if we stay in it too long we'll burn etc. etc.........
Old Jun 16th 2008, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

ScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really niceScarletPlumBlossomCadiz is just really nice
Angry Re: TIME, Gentlemen, Please.."Sunny Days are Here Again!"

[QUOTE=snikpoh;6471365]Why, oh why must we have duplicate threads for the same stuff, and by the same author ????????
QUOTE]

snikpoh,

This announcement is CLEARLY on its own - as a ´´´ W A R N I N G ´´´ without the encumbrance of all the gumph in the other threads. AND is ScarletPlumBlossomCadiz really the author here?

This is the only time that I have shown that the only authority in the UK - in a letter to me- admits that THE WARNING they give - in the NEWSPAPERS - and on the NET - does NOT work outside the ENGLAND, SCOTLAND & WALES MAINLAND!! - AND . . . does NOT work at the TIME QUOTED - ANYWHERE ELSE (Officially).
11 am to 3 pm does NOT even work in any part of IRELAND!! ( 11 am to 4 pm) let alone in FRANCE, SPAIN, the LOW COUNTRIES and the CANARIES!´ - yet, it is drummed into the heads of all Brits every month in Summer - and you probably see that in Brit newspapers in the cities where you are, or plan to be.

11 am to 3 pm is designed around a break time for shelter at 1:00 o´clock - and I am emphasising that the Hour quoted (called the Culmination) is precisely that for LONDON in BST times only. (If validity is required for a sensitive skin, then that time outside the BST period is at 12:00 o´clock culmination time).

In other words, it is that precise "culmination" time that I am emphasising, and it is as an expert in the intensity of burning UV radiation that I am able to tell everyone - that is the TIME TO BEWARE!

BUT, in SPAIN, WEST FRANCE and the Canary Islands, 1:00 pm IS NOT THAT TIME.
THERE IS NO POINT in sheltering around 1:00 pm in such places - because you come out INTO THE SUN just before it is most powerfully on the attack !

My own warning comes just here - after an intervention which I consider, under the circumstances, is unwarranted!

If you are there - or plan to be in such a place - the time to be sheltering is as late as at 2:00 pm in the Canaries, 2:30 pm in most of West France and Spain, and 2:40 pm in Galicia and Brittany. ... It is most essential that CHILDREN are then in the shade in the Med and Canaries in particular.
ALL of those culmination times are conveniently found in prominent newspapers - just by looking for sun rise/set times on Weather Pages - but the TIMES, just quoted, are here quite accurate for Summer.

JUST let the warning be visible, - and perhaps allow expats to make up their own mind on a VERY PECULIAR STANCE by the "SunSmart" campaign. SunSmart take the words from the UK Government which establish their existence and funding just a little too literally!
´´ ____"Our remit is to promote the campaign to UK residents._____

If that isn´t the strangest stuff out of the horse´s mouth - What is?
What should NOT be on the WWW is such harmful twaddle (but only needs a few words to specify its proper usage!).

In any case, there is no way here that I can warn the expats in the French Biscay area. Perhaps the new title will help them find out? Apparently, their children can be permitted to fry up in the Sun! We are not supposed to warn the French Forum expats!!
Old Jun 16th 2008, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DebsyW
Why did you have to open a new thread? It`s the same content as the last one.... and the one before that.
Hi DebsyW!

It just happens to look like the same - but it is not actually from me - like the subject is really treated in the other threads! One of my threads was all about children getting too fat at an early lunchtime - hardly the same!

I am trying to explain it to snikpoh - and that is a pity, because it is the ridiculous stance of such authorities that I have to make plain ON ITS OWN - as a warning to everyone. It´s too important to be too hidden away in all the gumph generated in the thread on the subject!

Appreciate your concern!

Cheers.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

lcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud of

These idiotic posts are clearly just trolling,prob best to treat them as such!
Old Jun 16th 2008, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the warning. But ENOUGH.
Old Jun 16th 2008, 7:53 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

[quote=ScarletPlumBlossomCadiz;6472120]
Originally Posted by snikpoh
Why, oh why must we have duplicate threads for the same stuff, and by the same author ????????
QUOTE]

snikpoh,

This announcement is CLEARLY on its own - as a ´´´ W A R N I N G ´´´ without the encumbrance of all the gumph in the other threads. AND is ScarletPlumBlossomCadiz really the author here?

This is the only time that I have shown that the only authority in the UK - in a letter to me- admits that THE WARNING they give - in the NEWSPAPERS - and on the NET - does NOT work outside the ENGLAND, SCOTLAND & WALES MAINLAND!! - AND . . . does NOT work at the TIME QUOTED - ANYWHERE ELSE (Officially).
11 am to 3 pm does NOT even work in any part of IRELAND!! ( 11 am to 4 pm) let alone in FRANCE, SPAIN, the LOW COUNTRIES and the CANARIES!´ - yet, it is drummed into the heads of all Brits every month in Summer - and you probably see that in Brit newspapers in the cities where you are, or plan to be.

11 am to 3 pm is designed around a break time for shelter at 1:00 o´clock - and I am emphasising that the Hour quoted (called the Culmination) is precisely that for LONDON in BST times only. (If validity is required for a sensitive skin, then that time outside the BST period is at 12:00 o´clock culmination time).

In other words, it is that precise "culmination" time that I am emphasising, and it is as an expert in the intensity of burning UV radiation that I am able to tell everyone - that is the TIME TO BEWARE!

BUT, in SPAIN, WEST FRANCE and the Canary Islands, 1:00 pm IS NOT THAT TIME.
THERE IS NO POINT in sheltering around 1:00 pm in such places - because you come out INTO THE SUN just before it is most powerfully on the attack !

My own warning comes just here - after an intervention which I consider, under the circumstances, is unwarranted!

If you are there - or plan to be in such a place - the time to be sheltering is as late as at 2:00 pm in the Canaries, 2:30 pm in most of West France and Spain, and 2:40 pm in Galicia and Brittany. ... It is most essential that CHILDREN are then in the shade in the Med and Canaries in particular.
ALL of those culmination times are conveniently found in prominent newspapers - just by looking for sun rise/set times on Weather Pages - but the TIMES, just quoted, are here quite accurate for Summer.

JUST let the warning be visible, - and perhaps allow expats to make up their own mind on a VERY PECULIAR STANCE by the "SunSmart" campaign. SunSmart take the words from the UK Government which establish their existence and funding just a little too literally!
´´ ____"Our remit is to promote the campaign to UK residents._____

If that isn´t the strangest stuff out of the horse´s mouth - What is?
What should NOT be on the WWW is such harmful twaddle (but only needs a few words to specify its proper usage!).

In any case, there is no way here that I can warn the expats in the French Biscay area. Perhaps the new title will help them find out? Apparently, their children can be permitted to fry up in the Sun! We are not supposed to warn the French Forum expats!!
I don't think they care as getting line of sight to the sun these days is pretty hard, and there really has to be something better to recycle these electrons into?
Old Jun 17th 2008, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DebsyW
Thanks for the warning. But ENOUGH.
Hi DebsyW!

That´s ´ J U S T ´ how I intended to leave it !

Try to ignore those newspaper "recommendations".

Cheers.
Old Jun 21st 2008, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

Exclamation Re: TIME, Gentlemen, Please.."Sunny Days are Here Again!"

[QUOTE=Ka Ora!;6472590]
Originally Posted by ScarletPlumBlossomCadiz
. . . there really has to be something better to recycle these electrons into?
I think that it would have been more appropriate to reference Cancer Research´s letter ! - which plainly tries to wriggle out of responsibility to both sets of all expats and all residents in the masses of areas outside their remit!
( i.e., I am preferring a reference to posting #1 at the top of this thread - Letter from CR-UK!).

My campaign of 3 years is still going on in Cadiz, with copies to the authorities!

Cheers.

Last edited by ScarletPlumBlossomCadiz; Jun 21st 2008 at 10:01 am. Reason: typo
Old Jun 27th 2008, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

Exclamation Re: TIME, Gentlemen, Please.."Sunny Days are Here Again!"

Letter from CancerResearchUK was in response to my series of complaints concerning the appearance of the unjustified slogan:
"Take Care from 11am to 3pm" in OVERSEAS locations.

"Cancer Research UK has been funded by the UK Health Departments to run the SunSmart campaign."

"The advice in the CancerResearch "SunSmart" code is therefore most relevant to the UK mainland." (Not even valid for Ireland!).
"We are aware of variations in solar high noons, and as result, the Smart campaign proactive activities
and press releases
are contained within the UK!" (How come they are visible in Brit papers in Spain & France?)

" We have taken the advice of the W.H.O. who developed the Global Solar UV Index in that the maximum UV radiation level occurs during the four-hour period around solar high noon*."

NEWS from CADIZ: The Congress of Dermatologists in Cadiz, Spain, in June 2007 issued a recommendation that the period of 12 noon to 5 pm should be extended before and after for young children!

ScarletPlumBlossomCadiz, 16 / VI / 2008
Sorry to have another ominous message for the future of sunning on the beaches in Spain!

The Cadiz "VIVA_" newspapers of the "Grupo Joly" are still emphasising the old limits for precautions - both on the beach and at the pool - of 12 noon to 4 pm - in spite of the "Diarios" on 8th June, 2007 publishing the findings of the Congress on Dermatology in Cadiz that week - part of which is shown at the end of the quote above.

´ ´ ´ ´ ´ ´ W ´ A ´ R ´ N ´ I ´ N ´ G

The nonsense of "12 to 4pm" will appear throughout Spain - because of the lack of knowledge that dermatologists (hardly alone in Spain) have concerning the absence of compliance of the Earth/Sun system with legislative measures adopted - not only by Spain - but also by all other countries in the World (but at hardly a visible level in most of them!).

From wherever a country chooses to select its time (usually on a "meridian line" associated with a change of one hour in clocktime), the Earth/Sun take their own sweet time to cross that territory, so that the clockwork in that country does not show the legally stipulated difference between the clockwork time and that of the Earth/Sun! i.e., it takes a further 1/2 hour for the Sun to cross Spain from a high noon of 2 pm on the East Coast in Summer - even at Mach1.8! - So, the legal stipulation of the 2 hours difference for the Time Zone is nonsense in the West of Spain!

I am hopeful, however, that the Diarios themselves will attempt to deliver a corrected message (though they have once confused 17:00 hours with 7 pm!).

I have, of course, protested vigorously about the mis-statement - and informed the Brit and German Embassies.

Cheers.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 5:42 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Do they have a contract out on you yet ?
Old Jun 29th 2008, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: TIME, Gentlemen, Please.."Sunny Days are Here Again!"

Originally Posted by jdr
Do they have a contract out on you yet ?
Hi jdr!

Always looking over my shoulder! (even look out for crispy, too! ).

Only amounts to censorship - not just my information, appetising though it is !
- but there is obvious self-censorship by the newspapers here - i.e., they refuse to discuss the subject after my scathing criticism of the peculiar output of the Observatorio Nacional Madrid (my response was: " Is Spain really Caught on the HOP? ").
I would imagine that the papers receive enquiries from readers puzzled by my circulation of the proofs, photocopied from the Weather Page, around the University and the various "Diputacions" - which show unequivocally the times for that particular day´s midnight and midday times as portrayed by sunrise/set times of, say, 7:30 and 21:30 (August 3rd in Cadiz!). But, where are those letters printed?

Typical of predicted times that I email to many of the turismo offices, etc. at such obvious occasions - you can see some in the attachment!

Cheers.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
predictions.doc (64.5 KB, 105 views)

Last edited by ScarletPlumBlossomCadiz; Jun 29th 2008 at 11:20 am.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: TIME, Gentlemen, Please.."Sunny Days are Here Again!"

proofs, photocopied from the Weather Page of El Mundo this Wednesday, 2 July.
Typical of published times that I email to many of the turismo offices, etc. at such obvious occasions - you can see some in the attachment!
One attempt at a proof ( #71, Time, Gentlemen, Please) gave a much greater image than expected - no idea at all why it was much larger than my previous scans ?

I managed a smaller version, after all !

A fine example of an easy sunrise/sunset pair for Madrid itself, on the "El Mundo" Weather Page - shows that 06:49 am and 21:49 pm - given the new appearance of a 15 hours of Sun on that day (not achieved apparently before on the newspaper page!) - shows conclusively that the middle of the night and ther middle of the day there on Wednesday were both at 2:19 on the clock face! ?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
larger.pdf (405.4 KB, 132 views)
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 6:48 pm
Here or There - Who Knows

debandsie is just really nicedebandsie is just really nicedebandsie is just really nicedebandsie is just really nicedebandsie is just really nicedebandsie is just really nicedebandsie is just really nicedebandsie is just really nice

am i the only one thinking - whats this all about ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.