Tiling work

Old Mar 24th 2008, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

devonmark is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tiling work

Hi my name is Mark,

I'm currently looking into prospects regarding employment in Spain, I have been toying with moving over for a while now, but only just started looking into it seriously, I'm a tiler and plasterer, I have plenty of experience in ceramic and stone. I am self employed with a good reputation, it took a while to get established and I know that I will have to go through all the marketing and networking again.

My target market would be re-tiling bathrooms, kitchens etc within the expat community. Can anyone tell me if they think there will be a market for this...

Thanks, Mark
Old Mar 24th 2008, 6:55 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tiling work

Originally Posted by devonmark
Hi my name is Mark,

I'm currently looking into prospects regarding employment in Spain, I have been toying with moving over for a while now, but only just started looking into it seriously, I'm a tiler and plasterer, I have plenty of experience in ceramic and stone. I am self employed with a good reputation, it took a while to get established and I know that I will have to go through all the marketing and networking again.

My target market would be re-tiling bathrooms, kitchens etc within the expat community. Can anyone tell me if they think there will be a market for this...

Thanks, Mark
Welcome to the forum

Well ...... I guess theres a market for tiling as its whats on most of our walls and floors. Whether you can advertise and market yourself is the question, in what is a very competitive area
Old Mar 24th 2008, 8:11 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

There are more tilers here than Sky installers.
If you can speak enough Spanish to sort out the works licences, order the skips and materials, pay 250 €`s a month social and drop your prices to Spanish prices you may survive.
Come over on a holiday and see if you can get some work lined up first.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

debbieandkeith is just really nicedebbieandkeith is just really nicedebbieandkeith is just really nicedebbieandkeith is just really nicedebbieandkeith is just really nicedebbieandkeith is just really nicedebbieandkeith is just really nicedebbieandkeith is just really nice

hi mark
like you we are wanting to set up a refrigeration and airconditiong buisness in spain. Something we have been doing in england for 25 years. I posted on here asking for advice and was told there are hundreds of aircon installers in spain, which we already knew. But if you are a hard worker and a reliable worker. I am sure you will find work in spain, from our experience with our house in spain, we found it so hard to find someone to do tiling and other work we have had done by the spanish left us so frustrated with not turning up when they said they would and then taking so much time to finish the work. Do you have any idea where in spain you might go, because if it is any where near us, i want 93 sqm of tiling done.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

devonmark is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for the replies,
Jdr...I have only just got back (yesterday) from Benalmedina, was on a golf break, no time to look around and ask questions.

Debbieandkeith, where are you ? could always come over on a busmans...lol

I am prepared for the struggle to get established, I do understand that it will take a while to get known and get a good rep, I am 100% honest and reliable, as for pricing I'm not certain of what the Spanish rates are as yet, I don't wish to become filthy rich, just want a better life for my kids and partner and I'm sure that I will get it over there. I'm uncertain of what area to look at, somewhere with a good expat community I suppose as that is where I intend to sell my services.

I have thought about heading over for a month or so to make enquiries and to talk to as many people as I can.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

john1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant future

Looks like your near me then i'm down towards Marbella. Bloke i am playing golf with today is a tiler and is always very busy in this local area with expats.

Good luck in whatever you do.

John
Old Mar 25th 2008, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

debbieandkeith is just really nicedebbieandkeith is just really nicedebbieandkeith is just really nicedebbieandkeith is just really nicedebbieandkeith is just really nicedebbieandkeith is just really nicedebbieandkeith is just really nicedebbieandkeith is just really nice

hi mark
we are 45 min from malaga airport, 15 mins from a place called torrox, where our house is our nearest village is very spanish, but nerja and torrox costa there are alot of british people. Might be a good place for you to visit.