Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

TIE Application in Exchange for Green Card

TIE Application in Exchange for Green Card

Old Aug 20th 2021, 11:05 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TIE Application in Exchange for Green Card

Originally Posted by ElizabethAnn
My current NIE Card is legal and valid. But... apparently officials at passport control at Faro airport (in Portugal) are making it difficult for UK passport holders living in Spain to exit or enter the country without the TIE. No idea why they are saying that the Green Card NIE is no longer valid - EU politics again probably!

You are confusing the NIE (just a number on a white A4 certificate) with the green 'residency' card/certificate. Yes, you can get an NIE with residency and it will be printed on the card/certificate but this doesn't make it an NIE card.
Old Aug 20th 2021, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

This is clearly connected to the other topic of

Problems at Faro Airport for Brits Resident in Spain - no TIE?

Could it be that someone Spanish resident has got themselves into a pickle trying to side step the Schengen 90 day rule?
Old Aug 20th 2021, 3:21 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin

Could it be that someone Spanish resident has got themselves into a pickle trying to side step the Schengen 90 day rule?
Hola
Without stamping every passport when entering or leaving ANY country in the Schengen Area, i don't see how it can work. Consider I fly directly to Spain from the UK and show my TIE, therefore no stamp. I then drive to Portugal and live there for twelve months (illegally). I then fly out from any Schengen area airport - If I have been in Spain all the time then no problem, but in the scenario above, I have transgressed.

So if I fly to Faro, say I live permanently in Spain, should they stamp my passport? My answer is yes and then I should have to get an entry stamp into Spain, as I have a TIE. I don't believe this has been thought through

Davexf
Old Aug 20th 2021, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

ElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to behold

But if they are Resident in Spain, the Schengen 90 day rule does not apply tho them. That is the whole point... if they have the Green Card "Certificado De Registro de Ciudadano de la Union" it is proof that they are resident in Spain. They should be free to move into and out of the EU.

However, I am resigned to the need to exchange our "Certificado De Registro de Ciudadano de la Union" Cards for the new TIE. I am just unable to do so at the moment. The problem seems to be that I don't have an Electronic Certificate to enable me to prove who I am (and who my husband is) as we have an Apple Mac Laptop and it doesn't use Flash Player. I seem to be unable to get the documents I need without the Electronic Certificate and I can't get an Electronic Certificate. Stuck...

Old Aug 20th 2021, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

ElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by snikpoh
You are confusing the NIE (just a number on a white A4 certificate) with the green 'residency' card/certificate. Yes, you can get an NIE with residency and it will be printed on the card/certificate but this doesn't make it an NIE card.
I am describing our our "Certificado De Registro de Ciudadano de la Union" Cards, not the NIE number alone. Hope this provides some clarity.
Old Aug 20th 2021, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hola
Without stamping every passport when entering or leaving ANY country in the Schengen Area, i don't see how it can work. Consider I fly directly to Spain from the UK and show my TIE, therefore no stamp. I then drive to Portugal and live there for twelve months (illegally). I then fly out from any Schengen area airport - If I have been in Spain all the time then no problem, but in the scenario above, I have transgressed.

So if I fly to Faro, say I live permanently in Spain, should they stamp my passport? My answer is yes and then I should have to get an entry stamp into Spain, as I have a TIE. I don't believe this has been thought through

Davexf
Could not agree more, and maybe this is part of the problem. However, it doesn't matter whether you have a TIE Card or a our "Certificado De Registro de Ciudadano de la Union" Card, the problem remains.
Old Aug 21st 2021, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

Margaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really nice

Do you know Joe the Taxi driver , multi lingual, he sorted out our TIE card, he gets you an appointment in Ayamonte with the forms to fill in, sorted everything out for us, can’t give you a price , depends how much you know him, but we have found him very reasonable. Send you his phone number if you are interested..
Old Aug 21st 2021, 6:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret and Derek
Do you know Joe the Taxi driver , multi lingual, he sorted out our TIE card, he gets you an appointment in Ayamonte with the forms to fill in, sorted everything out for us, can’t give you a price , depends how much you know him, but we have found him very reasonable. Send you his phone number if you are interested..
Joe leTaxi is amazing solves problems you didn’t know you have.As a Portuguese National he deals with all the problems that can occur at the border bridge when it is closed amongst other problems! 👍
Old Aug 21st 2021, 6:22 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

No Schengen area country's passport control should stamp your passport if you can show a residency card in the common Schengen format as well.

You could live for 12 months illegally in another Schengen country, but then so can EU citizens. I guess they assume that in the grand scheme of things few are.
Old Aug 21st 2021, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for advice and suggestions everyone. Hopefully I’ll get us sorted out soon enough.
Old Aug 21st 2021, 7:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

No Schengen area country's passport control should stamp your passport if you can show a residency card in the common Schengen format as well.
That is exactly what the Spanish TIE is.

Last edited by Rosemary; Aug 21st 2021 at 9:41 pm. Reason: corrected quote
Old Aug 22nd 2021, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElizabethAnn
Yikes, typo error in the Thread Title - How do I edit the title? TIA should read TIE!

Can anyone advise on the likely cost of getting a Gestor to complete the exchange process Green Residency Card to a new biometric TIE Card? (I have failed to manage the process myself - must be getting old). Thanks in advance.
We went for ours last week I posted on here asking if anyone had problems we had none. But I did hear of one person who tried to fill in the Modelo form
at a cash machine and got stuck as the machine would not allow you to proceed without inputting two surnames. All you need is a recent padron and the application forms plus modelo. Sorry no idea of gestor costs but it seems unnecessary.
Old Aug 22nd 2021, 1:18 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

You could use - as the second apellido if you have to give one.

@EsuriJohn, I know
Old Aug 22nd 2021, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

No, don’t think so. It was just a UK citizen who is resident in Spain going back to Uk to visit relatives for a week. She had applied to exchange her Green Residencia Card for the TIE but not yet received it. (We have a new office in Ayamonte set up to process exchanges.) Faro used to be by far the closest and most convenient airport to use since we live just over the Spain/Portugal border in Spain. Not so sure now…
Old Aug 27th 2021, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

Mission accomplished for both myself and my partner in less than 15 minutes. For Ayamonte you need only have the following documents:
1) Current "Certificado De Registro de Ciudadano de la Union" (Green NIE Card for short) - copy not required as they scan the document;
2) Passport - copy not required as they scan the document;
3) Completed Form EX-23
23-Formulario_TIE_RU.pdf (inclusion.gob.es);
4) Stamped Form 790 Tasa790_012 (policia.gob.es) proving that you have paid the fee for the card - you can get this printed at the local Libreria Martin in Plaza de Lyon (the square beside the police station) and you take it to a bank where you pay the fee of 12€ and they stamp it;
5) A current Padron Certificate from the Town Hall; and
6) A recent passport photograph which they scan and return to you

Once you have everything in place, make an appointment online at: https://sede.administracionespublicas.gob.es/icpplus .
You need to make a separate appointment for each person exchanging the card, but we were both taken together and they processed our exchange one after the other. They have a fingerprint scanner which they use for biometric data recording and everything is very quick and smooth.
We have been asked to return in 40 days - with a appointment made using the website above again - to collect our new TIE Cards. We need to take our Green NIE Cards with us to make the exchange. (You cannot collect someone else's card as apparently fingerprints are scanned to check you are who you say you are.)
Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.