Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

For Those Who Enjoy Hunting......

For Those Who Enjoy Hunting......

Old Sep 4th 2008, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default For Those Who Enjoy Hunting......

Checkout

http://www.ifeja.org/ibercaza/

Rgds

Rotor
Old Sep 4th 2008, 4:01 pm

poshnbucks has disabled reputation
Default Re: For Those Who Enjoy Hunting......

Rotor

When does the general hunting season start ie Rabbits, Beautiful song birds gods creatures, Anything that moves, I mean I have been on many a shoot in the UK all well run and above all safe. These blokes walk my land with rabbits hanging from their belts very butch and will kill anything. They will be booted off this year the worst a rabbit can do on my orange groves is eat through the odd plastic irrigation pipe to get a drink. We are not over run with them otherwise I would deal with them. I just wanted the date so I can keep my dogs in on a Saturday/Sunday morning when these people are about. I love the country and respect their ways but not when they fire indiscriminately though pine trees and nearly hitting my neighbor. Most of them around me are so old I bet they wouldn't see a rabbit if it tapped them on the shoulder.

Old Sep 5th 2008, 1:06 am

This is a jolly good read, I have bought two dogs from breeders in the Shooting Times. Sadly they have now passed away and I have my two girls who the hunters here in Spain threw out at the end of season. I love them just as much. This is a good internet Magazine and its free ha ha.

http://www.shootingtimes.co.uk/guns/...spotlight.html

You can't take your computer to the Lav unless its a laptop but this is the magazine for the Lav

http://www.countrylife.co.uk/

Last edited by poshnbucks; Sep 5th 2008 at 1:19 am.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 1:38 am

Last edited by poshnbucks; May 30th 2009 at 5:39 am.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Spain has the highest following for hunting in europe as far as I know, there is no general hunting season other than to say from end of year usually finishing around February, all spieces have specific periods as to when they can be hunted and it is surprisingly strictly controlled in Spain,details on your Juntas web site, also at www.coag.org , all hunters have to take a 3-4 day course and sit an exam to get a license,also its law to have public liability insurance, not so in the UK,there are huge fines in Spain for illegal hunting and rightly so.
If you dont want hunters on your land you have to apply to stop them!! it`s pretty much the opposite to the UK where they have to ask you to come onto your land.!!
If hunters are breaking the law in your area speak to the guardia, they will definatly act.

Rgds

Rotor
Old Sep 5th 2008, 11:20 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poshnbucks
Rotor

When does the general hunting season start ie Rabbits, Beautiful song birds gods creatures, Anything that moves, I mean I have been on many a shoot in the UK all well run and above all safe. These blokes walk my land with rabbits hanging from their belts very butch and will kill anything. They will be booted off this year the worst a rabbit can do on my orange groves is eat through the odd plastic irrigation pipe to get a drink. We are not over run with them otherwise I would deal with them. I just wanted the date so I can keep my dogs in on a Saturday/Sunday morning when these people are about. I love the country and respect their ways but not when they fire indiscriminately though pine trees and nearly hitting my neighbor. Most of them around me are so old I bet they wouldn't see a rabbit if it tapped them on the shoulder.

http://bestsmileys.com/shooting1/19.gif
I`ve come across these mercenary macho weekend cowboys in quite a few places and as an ex-hunter myself I dont have much respect for the way they go about their business.
Hard to believe they ever passed an exam of any sort.
Even had my plastic external blinds peppered and holed with shotgun pellets while I was away.
Often wonder about the problems with their poor dogs for which most of them seem to have little respect.
Seems like the more dogs they pack in their trucks,the bigger their macho reputation.
Wonder if the dogs you took in Posh, had been chipped as I believe it is now the law that all dogs in Spain should be chipped and jabbed.
In view of the many problems with stray and abandoned hunting dogs it would be a good idea to licence these guys for keeping above a set number of dogs and keeping check of how well they are kept and how many go missing.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
I`ve come across these mercenary macho weekend cowboys in quite a few places and as an ex-hunter myself I dont have much respect for the way they go about their business.
Even had my plastic external blinds peppered and holed with shotgun pellets while I was away.
Often wonder about the problems with their poor dogs for which most of them seem to have little respect.
Seems like the more dogs they pack in their trucks,the bigger their macho reputation.
Wonder if the dogs you took in Posh, had been chipped as I believe it is now the law that all dogs in Spain should be chipped and jabbed.
In view of the many problems with stray and abandoned hunting dogs it would be a good idea to licence these guys for keeping above a set number of dogs and keeping check of how well they are kept and how many go missing.
There`s a cowboy element in all walks of life and hunting is no exception , if youve had your blinds pepperd I assume you reported it? if not no doubt it will happen again,a lot of big dogs are needed as a few small ones will get killed by jabali,and yes chipping is law and I think you need special permission for certain dangerous breeds,restricting people on what they can have and do ie number of dogs? ,go back to the UK ,they love that kind of dictatorship there!

Rgds

Rotor

Last edited by Rotor; Sep 5th 2008 at 1:24 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 3:28 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
There`s a cowboy element in all walks of life and hunting is no exception , if youve had your blinds pepperd I assume you reported it? if not no doubt it will happen again,a lot of big dogs are needed as a few small ones will get killed by jabali,and yes chipping is law and I think you need special permission for certain dangerous breeds,restricting people on what they can have and do ie number of dogs? ,go back to the UK ,they love that kind of dictatorship there!

Rgds

Rotor
Report it?
I did mention I was away, so doubt they would interview everybody in Spain with a shotgun for what good that would do anyway.
The problem with starving,abandoned and stray hunting dogs does not exist in the UK and at the end of the day somebody has to deal with the problems that the hunters cause, then appear to walk away from.
With regard to "dictatorship",maybe you have it the wrong way round as I dont believe passports,chips and jabs plus other records are yet compulsory for all dogs in the UK.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 6:43 pm

No they were not chipped, Both are girls the pointer had teats drooping on the floor, one of her rear paws ripped open and weighed a quarter of what she does now. The teats reminded me the other day of ..............Ah the German females on the beach walking up and down up and down the shoreline........uggggggggggggggggggh
From I think it was March 2007 all dogs should be chipped but here in Catalonia the laws from Madrid are on the whole ignored. Rather than chip them at the end of the season the surplus dogs are either dumped or even worse suspended from a tree with rabbit snare wire with just their front legs raised and left to die a slow death. Those are not isolated cases it happens a lot. Both my dogs were chipped
after the vet checked them over and for ownership but no chips were found on either dog they are up to date with Jabs etc. Some of the hunters feed their dogs dry sliced bread no meat or vegetables. I think their has been very slow progress in welfare over the last few years but they have a hell of a way to go.I am not an animal softy I know we use dogs as tools sometimes but if you don't look after your tools after a short while you need to dump them and have them replaced. Sound familiar. I have put this new sign on the main entrance also in Catalan.

Old Sep 5th 2008, 8:37 pm
On the road again.

No they were not chipped, Both are girls the pointer had teats drooping on the floor, one of her rear paws ripped open and weighed a quarter of what she does now. The teats reminded me the other day of ..............Ah the German females on the beach walking up and down up and down the shoreline........uggggggggggggggggggh
From I think it was March 2007 all dogs should be chipped but here in Catalonia the laws from Madrid are on the whole ignored. Rather than chip them at the end of the season the surplus dogs are either dumped or even worse suspended from a tree with rabbit snare wire with just their front legs raised and left to die a slow death. Those are not isolated cases it happens a lot. Both my dogs were chipped
after the vet checked them over and for ownership but no chips were found on either dog they are up to date with Jabs etc. Some of the hunters feed their dogs dry sliced bread no meat or vegetables. I think their has been very slow progress in welfare over the last few years but they have a hell of a way to go.I am not an animal softy I know we use dogs as tools sometimes but if you don't look after your tools after a short while you need to dump them and have them replaced. Sound familiar. I have put this new sign on the main entrance also in Catalan.
Not nice people at all with regard to their dogs.
Many of them dont care how they use them,abuse them and dispose of them.
Thats why I think some sort of control would be a good idea,maybe to run alongside their gun licence(I presume they do need a gun licence?) so any hunter with say 4 or more dogs should be accountable for their health and whereabouts.Maybe losing 1 or 2 out of say 12 or so could happen,but if they go AWOL in big numbers then something is definitely wrong.
Dont suppose it will happen,not just yet anyway, but there are signs of things improving.
Quite a few Spanish help out or run animal rescue centres.
I was in the one at Guadalest a few year back and they had a rescued lion that some guy thought would be a good guard for his factory.
However he had eventually confined it in a small cage on a roof for a few year before it was spotted and rescued.
I have one young healthy rescue dog myself which is with friends at present while I am in Sweden, but its not so easy,as with yours, when they have been injured or badly used.
I notice that those who spend a lot of money on a pedigree or fancy breed do tend to take good care of them.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 11:08 pm

I am sorry rotor you made your thread bringing glad tidings for hunting and my dog thing seems to have taken over....... No more..... It had to be said but please carry on back to the hunting information thread. Below is a piccy of a local Dog we are all scared of , He has a very deep bark and mentions a son of his called Luke

Old Sep 6th 2008, 8:23 am
On the road again.

I am sorry rotor you made your thread bringing glad tidings for hunting and my dog thing seems to have taken over....... No more..... It had to be said but please carry on back to the hunting information thread. Below is a piccy of a local Dog we are all scared of , He has a very deep bark and mentions a son of his called Luke

Up here its deer hunting at present,but next month the very serious business of the Moose hunt begins which is almost like a religious ritual,following months of preparation and studies of numbers to be culled.
Unlike Spain,no cowboys allowed,any suspicion that anyone has had a drink and they are sent packing.They recruit beaters,usually young fit ppl who scramble through the very rough and hazardous forests shouting and screaming trying to get the Moose out in the open.If they are really lucky(Swedes being tighter than Jocks)they might even get a cup of coffee and a sarnie as payment.
The guns sit on platforms or stand like frozen pillars of salt all day on there allocated spot.They are dressed top to toe in bright orange or red,the idea being they dont shoot each other instead of the Moose.
However despite all this they still contrive to do so on a regular basis.
Strange one last year when a female Moose upset at loosing her calf attacked one of the hunters who dropped his gun.
The irate Moose then jumped on the gun which promptly fired off,and shot the hunter who was last seen heading down the road in the back of an ambulance.
Local Papers were full of it,"The Moose Strikes Back"!

Last edited by Dick Dasterdly; Sep 6th 2008 at 8:25 am.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Report it?
I did mention I was away, so doubt they would interview everybody in Spain with a shotgun for what good that would do anyway.
The problem with starving,abandoned and stray hunting dogs does not exist in the UK and at the end of the day somebody has to deal with the problems that the hunters cause, then appear to walk away from.
With regard to "dictatorship",maybe you have it the wrong way round as I dont believe passports,chips and jabs plus other records are yet compulsory for all dogs in the UK.

The police will know who has the shooting rights for that parcela and would have at least spoken to the equivalent of the game keeper, there are a lot of abandoned dogs in our area but they are not hunting breeds ,just mongrels that people have got bored of, weve found pups dumped and given them to the local vet, he trys to home them but if unsuccessful they get put down,

Making new laws will only inconvenience law biding people, crooks /red necks will carry on the same,there are much more important things for police to do than wander around the campo checking whos dog has had what for lunch and if its mmr jabs are up to date.

Of course you have to have a license for firearms/shotguns ,you even need permission for air rifles,crossbows and long bows!!
Spains licensing laws are more strict than the UK, you have to pass a firearms handling exam to get one plus of course police back ground checks and a psycological test ,but he best bit is you are pretty much unrestricted on the firearm type you can own when youve got a license, not like under Herr Blair / Brown.

Rgds

Rotor
Old Sep 6th 2008, 9:33 am
On the road again.

"but he best bit is you are pretty much unrestricted on the firearm type you can own when youve got a license,"

Thanks for that Rotor,

Think I`ll just settle for an AK47 mounted in a gun terret on top of my roof!

Should give the B#ggers something to think about!----
Old Sep 6th 2008, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Nige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud of

You chaps obviously know which end of the shotgun to hold when out with the dogs. In Cadiz province according to the all powerful and most revered Junta, the days for popping off Rabbit basically this season are:
13 de julio a 7 septiembre MEDIA VEDA
12 de octubre a 30 de noviembre PERIODO GENERAL
and only on Thursdays Saturdays Sundays and public holidays.

As a non hunter but very interested in all things 'campo' can you explain what is meant by the two periods?
And also comment on this little video showing Uncle John Charlie with his dogs Lady, Uca & Tais? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYGhspjSgxw
media veda en siguenza: ¡cohóne!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.