Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Third party national living in Spain?

Third party national living in Spain?

Old Feb 11th 2019, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

SpanishLangStudent is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Third party national living in Spain?

I apologize in advance if this had been asked before and will delete this thread if needed.

Hello,

​​​​​​I'm currently studying Spanish at degree level as a mature student (29) and had planned on moving to Spain upon completion of my studies but with increasing uncertainty with Brexit and with the prospect of no deal appearing ever more likely it appears this will be significantly more difficult than I had previously anticipated.

This brings me onto third party nationals, as I understand it post-Brexit British citizens will belong to a group known as third party nationals, alongside citizens from countries such as Australia and the USA. What this actually details I'm not entirely sure as the information that I've found thus far is sparse but I have read that it entitles someone from that group to travel within the Schengen zone for up to 90 days visa free (?) as long as that person has the same amount of time left on their passport from their intended departure date.

Ultimately my question is in the event of a no deal Brexit would I be able to live (as in privately rent) in Spain for 90 days at a time and if yes how long would I have to leave for before being allowed to return? I was going to ask about working remotely too but I understand that's an entirely different ballgame so I'll save that for a future thread.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by SpanishLangStudent; Feb 11th 2019 at 12:52 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2019, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

stevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond reputestevesainty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Third party national living in Spain?

British Nationals as 3rd country citizens may spend up to 90 days visa free in the Schengen zone in any 180 days. There are discussions in Spain about having a simple form for extending the 90 day period to 180 days in any year to allow "Swallows", people who overwinter in Spain to do so as they do now,although nothing has yet been settled.
If people are driving through other Schengen zone countries before they arrive in Spain,they must take into account that the 90 days clock starts ticking when they enter the Schengen zone.