Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Thinking of Wintering in Santa Cruz de Tenerife.

Thinking of Wintering in Santa Cruz de Tenerife.

Old Jul 21st 2013, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

prestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thinking of Wintering in Santa Cruz de Tenerife.

My partner and i have been regulars on the Goan ex-pat site for a number of years. Both of us have Wintered and Monsooned in India for over 30 years but sadly we are both now creeping towards Slippers and Sherry.Im 64 and she is late 50s.......hope Im not in trouble..again...And to cut short a long story without moaning too much, we are completely fed up with the Indian Experience.Pollution , crime and just over crowding to a point you will not believe unless you have been to India and traveled by train even more if you have dared the perils of bus travel-said to be the best method of birth control on the sub-continent ! so we are seriously thinking of Wintering in Santa Cruz de Tenerife from late November to early March or 3 months in plain English. We are looking for a small furnished studio flat within the city limits.We will be traveling from London to Tenerife around the 5th of August to do a reccy and generally just have a look round. I know some will say we are not genuine ex-pats because we live in London and Winter abroad but health reasons demand that i live in London or very near a decent health service, which Spain has.Forget India, please, unless you are very very rich.
So any advise is very welcome either by PM or posting on this site.
Old Jul 21st 2013, 3:35 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of Wintering in Santa Cruz de Tenerife.

Are you referring to the province of Santa Cruz de Tenerife, ie the 4 most westerly Canary islands or the only to the city of Santa Cruz on Tenerife ?
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

prestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond repute

The city. we travel there on the 12th August to have a look around.Like the idea of the ferries being available to visit the other islands and be able to fish of the breakwaters.The Atlantic side was too rough due to the size of the waves !
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 7:05 pm
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Are you referring to the province of Santa Cruz de Tenerife, ie the 4 most westerly Canary islands or the only to the city of Santa Cruz on Tenerife ?
They can get a winter there too... Gran Canaria is the place... Playa del ingles and Mogan with all year sunshine..
Old Jul 22nd 2013, 7:08 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Santa Cruz is a pleasant enough place, though I wonder about flights.
Many more from UK into Reina Sofia in the South I would think than to Los Rodeos.
Also the South is best for visiting the other lovely Western isles by ferry from Los Cris. however I can well understand it if you wish to avoid the touristy resorts.
The rest of the island has much to offer and see as do the other three quieter isles out to the West.

The South, once you get around the corner to Los Cris and beyond probably has the best Winter climate, while the East coast is often affected by the prevailing Easterly breezes, though that can often be a blessing in the hotter weather.
I spent many happy years there, though I could well be a little out of touch by now.
There is a dedicated and fairly active "Tenerife Forum" where it's usually possible to get much more up to date info.

Anyway, I hope that helps a little and I hope you find something to match your requirements.
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tommy.irene
They can get a winter there too... Gran Canaria is the place... Playa del ingles and Mogan with all year sunshine..
Tommy, do you never tire of the sunshine and sometimes long for a strong breeze or a perfect frosty morn? I love the idea of 'wintering' somewhere warm but all year round I'm not so sure?
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 6:16 am
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=stuboy;10813913]Tommy, do you never tire of the sunshine and sometimes long for a strong breeze or a perfect frosty morn? I love the idea of 'wintering' somewhere warm but all year round I'm not so sure?............................................. ..............[Im here for health reasons..the cold and damp would do me harm... sunshine is good for me..
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 10:40 pm
On the road again.

[QUOTE=tommy.irene;10814158]
Originally Posted by stuboy
Tommy, do you never tire of the sunshine and sometimes long for a strong breeze or a perfect frosty morn? I love the idea of 'wintering' somewhere warm but all year round I'm not so sure?............................................. ..............[Im here for health reasons..the cold and damp would do me harm... sunshine is good for me..

Much nicer in every respect in Tenerife, Tommy.

Far healthier too.
Nothing like as much of that awful African Sahara sand and fine dust to contend with for instance, though to be fair it could be even worse if you lived in Fuertaventura.

Why do you think they chose the much clearer air of Tenerife and La Palma to build those big observatories ?