Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Thinking of opening a bar in Tenerife.

Thinking of opening a bar in Tenerife.

Old Sep 16th 2011, 9:07 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of opening a bar in Tenerife.

Originally Posted by Luxor
Thats good info - thankyou.

So your guarded advise would be... "this isnt a good idea"...
As anyone on this forum will tell you I, like virtually all others here will advise you not to buy a bar but strangely enough about two years ago someone in our little town opened an internet cafe and it appears, only judging by customer numbers, to be very successful. Could have been lucky and just found a niche.

Graham
Old Sep 16th 2011, 10:59 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

just go out and have a look. Ask around, watch the bars and restaurants, talk to the owners, see what the clientele are like, maybe even offer to do a bit of part time, free of charge work in one... Get "on the ground" info

Jo xxx
Old Sep 16th 2011, 11:59 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

bars and internet cafes by the very nature of the way they operate with a high footfall can be a front for other things, less legal,
I know of an internt cafe that is very small, high footfall, sells alot of small cakes in boxes and employs a door minder.

and no I havent been inside, just had a flat a couple of floors above.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 6:25 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

good market for cupcakes where you lived? Might give it a try.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 6:30 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
bars and internet cafes by the very nature of the way they operate with a high footfall can be a front for other things, less legal,I know of an internt cafe that is very small, high footfall, sells alot of small cakes in boxes and employs a door minder.

and no I havent been inside, just had a flat a couple of floors above.

Good morning Domino
How true, and the genuine cafe with free wifi seem to struggle, as 2 students with a water and taking 2 hours is not exactly a money spinner.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 7:28 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I watched a fat lady outside a posh (ish) seafront cafe the other day who was intently working away on a posh notebook, oblivious to her surroundings, including the impatient waiter who kept asking her if she wanted anything. She kept waving him away and carried on typing furiously. She had a table with four seats all to herself.

We had the table next to hers and the very attentive waiter served us in an instant, although we had to wait a few minutes for the gooey chocolate cakes to go with our coffee.

The fat lady was well-dressed, out of character with her surroundings and looked more intelligent than the rest of us. I found out her nationality when she hit the wrong key on her notebook a few times. Each time she said, 'f***', quite loudly.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 8:30 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I watched a fat lady outside a posh (ish) seafront cafe the other day who was intently working away on a posh notebook, oblivious to her surroundings, including the impatient waiter who kept asking her if she wanted anything. She kept waving him away and carried on typing furiously. She had a table with four seats all to herself.

We had the table next to hers and the very attentive waiter served us in an instant, although we had to wait a few minutes for the gooey chocolate cakes to go with our coffee.

The fat lady was well-dressed, out of character with her surroundings and looked more intelligent than the rest of us. I found out her nationality when she hit the wrong key on her notebook a few times. Each time she said, 'f***', quite loudly.
In a Cockney accent I presume.

or maybe that would have been "akin ell".
Old Sep 17th 2011, 8:48 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ononno
good market for cupcakes where you lived? Might give it a try.
its not cupcake, its "brownies"
Old Sep 17th 2011, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by JLFS
Good morning Domino
How true, and the genuine cafe with free wifi seem to struggle, as 2 students with a water and taking 2 hours is not exactly a money spinner.
I suppose there is a choice, stay legal and go bust or go illegal and get busted.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 10:25 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Some Cafes on the CDS you have to get a password with your drink. In July I was charged 10 euro per night for internet in room. Have seen a lot of internet cafes close down on the CDS. Suppose it depends on area.

A young relative bought a bar on La Gomera despite all the advice not to. Only managed nearly a year, fortunately they hadn't sold their UK house but they have finished up in debt. Might a well just taken a year out, would have been more enjoyable.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Some Cafes on the CDS you have to get a password with your drink. In July I was charged 10 euro per night for internet in room. Have seen a lot of internet cafes close down on the CDS. Suppose it depends on area.

A young relative bought a bar on La Gomera despite all the advice not to. Only managed nearly a year, fortunately they hadn't sold their UK house but they have finished up in debt. Might a well just taken a year out, would have been more enjoyable.
but would not have gained valuable experience.

in the uk someone fails in business they are treated as failures in life

in the us someone fails in business they are welcomed with open arms - they have tried and have learnt and wont make the same mistakes again.

how goes it in Spain ?
Old Sep 17th 2011, 11:08 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
In a Cockney accent I presume.

or maybe that would have been "akin ell".
I couldn't tell from just the one word and the normally verbose Cockney lady at my table didn't say anything, she was stuffing chocolate cake into her face as fast as she could.

The typing lady did look like a fatter version of Princess Ann, but she wouldn't come to Torrevieja, would she?
Old Sep 17th 2011, 12:12 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I couldn't tell from just the one word and the normally verbose Cockney lady at my table didn't say anything, she was stuffing chocolate cake into her face as fast as she could.

The typing lady did look like a fatter version of Princess Ann, but she wouldn't come to Torrevieja, would she?
Don't suppose she looked like this lady journalist? Could well have been "researching" your bit of Spain. Apologies in advance to Annie if it isn't her.

I spend most of my time mooching around Spain, ostensibly researching articles for national newspapers and magazines, but really just sitting in cafes, reading the paper and drinking wine.
http://anniebennettspain.com/about/

Old Sep 17th 2011, 12:36 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

The main problem with opening a business is finding the right one, having the right idea,and the best location for it.

A lot of tried and tested ones have started to fail,due to crisis to some extent and also that they are not new or cutting edge anymore.

It is even tougher in these times, as a lot of peoples spending power has been
depleted.

I was thinking of opening a pole/lap dancing club in Saudi, any andvice would be appreciated.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 12:56 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Stevie, you wouldn't miss her with those clothes would you. Thought it was a Sandeman sherry advert

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.