Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

thinking of moving to spain...

thinking of moving to spain...

Old Nov 14th 2011, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

emmaboo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: thinking of moving to spain...

Originally Posted by The Oddities
I do not have children in school however I would expect a Spanish state school to teach in Spanish not English regardless of how many English children they have. Surely you would not expect a state school in England to teach in Spanish just because there are a number of Spanish children attending.

Rosemary
No no no lol
sorry i dont expect a spanish school to teach in english of course not, however i would think that there would be english students who attened the school thats what i ment sorry .
Old Nov 14th 2011, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emmaboo
No no no lol
sorry i dont expect a spanish school to teach in english of course not, however i would think that there would be english students who attened the school thats what i ment sorry .
Your son will most likely struggle in a state school at 14 years old, could you delay til the school hols in the UK and take a shorter break to begin with
Old Nov 14th 2011, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

No no no lol
I am renting tro the 6 months to get a real feel for the spanish life, if we choose to stay longer then i would more then likley place my son in a fee paying international school.
Just am not sure where to rent for my stay .
Old Nov 14th 2011, 6:08 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

No no no lol
But how will he learn anything when they are teaching in Spanish. The other students will not be able to translate for him because it would not be allowed and also because their work would suffer. Although I appreciate that 6 months in Spain might be an excellent experience for him I would have thought that this would be far to destructive to his education.

Rosemary
Old Nov 14th 2011, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by stuboy
Your son will most likely struggle in a state school at 14 years old, could you delay til the school hols in the UK and take a shorter break to begin with
Was thinking the same to start with, only reason i considerdered taking my son out of school in england and bringing him to spain is he is in a unit in englans and wont start his job train till sept
Old Nov 14th 2011, 6:15 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Unmutual
Your analysis of the utility companies isn't too far off the mark.

But I'm afraid your other assertions are completely bewildering, because in my six years here I've found quite the opposite.

If those are your experiences then I can only assume that you are immensely disliked by the Spanish because I've found them very genuine and welcoming.
Oh, please....

I didn't say anything about the Spanish. In fact I happen to get along with the Spanish better than English or Germans. I completely agree and find the Spanish to be quite genuine.

But come on - if you aren't aware of the ubiquitous two-price system, then you really must be a newbie.

But that's not the point. The point is that the law in Spain does not protect you from being misled or even "duped" nearly to the extent it does in the UK... and the larger and more "reputable" companies tend to be the ones who most leverage Spain's "soft" fraud enforcement in their favour - Telefonica, Endesa, major car dealers, real estate agents, etc..

For example, you don't have to look very far to find lots of horror stories about Endesa and all the utility companies overcharging - sometimes ridiculously, and the victims have no recourse.. It is rampant. ...and I see it all the time. Every one of my electricity bills is "estimado" and overcharged - every single one. They never read the meter. I have to dispute all of them, every billing period. I rarely get any response - let alone any credit or refund. They simply ignore my disputes. If I refuse to pay, they threaten to disconnect. There is no recourse. I am forced to pay it. I have calculated over €2000 overpaid in the last 4 years. No possibility for credit or refund. It is completely ignored. But that's just how it is.

And Telefonica's all-in €29.95 per month is indeed billed at a minimum of €52 per month, before any calls are made. This is a simple fact. Look for yourself. This would be fraud in any other country.

Look, those who have always lived in places like the UK should at least consider that you will not have the same priviledge of those who are a longstanding integral part of the local culture ...and as a foreigner, you will likely pay more for lots of things, and be told lots of inaccuracies to entice you to take the bait - because the law will not protect you very well, and they know this.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

[QUOTE=The Oddities;9732327]But how will he learn anything when they are teaching in Spanish. The other students will not be able to translate for him because it would not be allowed and also because their work would suffer. Although I appreciate that 6 months in Spain might be an excellent experience for him I would have thought that this would be far to destructive to his education.

Rosemary[/

Yes i think you have a point, dont think i have thought hard enough about what it would be like for my son, might wait till the hoilday to start and just start off with the 6 weeks x
Old Nov 14th 2011, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Really?

Telefonica's all-inclusive €29.95 flat rate is always billed at a minimum of €52 euros per month. Don't take my word for it. Look it up.

Endesa and Iberdrola routinely overcharge, beginning with their "estimado" billing, and they will resist at every opportunity to credit or refund once you've paid it. They will overcharge you and threaten to disconnect your supply if you refuse to pay their overcharges. Only recourse: Read your meter and cancel direct debit! Otherwise they'll get you...

I've never had a car repaired here without being forced to pay for unneccesary parts replacements and the associated labour. Just recently I had a broken tail light repaired on an old Fiesta. Naturally, they replaced not only the lamp and the lens, but also the entire lamp housing, fusebox and the turn signal switch on the steering column (neither of which were defective in any way). End cost: €700. No pay, no car. No recourse.

But luckily I brought the car to the shop with the tank empty. I learned about that previously when I took my Opel Tigre to the Opel dealer to have the cam belt replaced. I had just filled the tank minutes before I brought it in for repair. Naturally, they also replaced the ignition system and a number of other engine parts unrelated to the cam belt - and naturally, the tank was empty when it was returned to me.

But everyone I know says this is completely normal - and NEVER EVER EVER take your car to the repair shop (in spain) with a full tank.
As a matter of interest how much were you charged for the cam belt as we need one and have been quoted 300 euros.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 6:47 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
As a matter of interest how much were you charged for the cam belt as we need one and have been quoted 300 euros.
Cam belt was about €300. So I guess that's about right.

Total bill was €977.43.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

Unmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really nice

Originally Posted by amideislas
But come on - if you aren't aware of the ubiquitous two-price system, then you really must be a newbie.
You're well wide of the mark again I'm afraid.
I can guarantee that I have a far better understanding of the Spanish outlook on life than you have. I've lived in a totally Spanish speaking small rural community since 2005.....total immersion out of circumstance rather than choice. Most days I speak more Spanish than English.....no choice in the matter.
And in shops, I pay the same price as the Spanish.....and in some cases less!

The Spanish take people as they find them, and providing you show a commitment to their country and willingness to learn their language you will never be outside looking in.
Unfortunately very few Brits get to that position because they can't leave their arrogance and sense of superiority back in Britain.
We're in their country and the onus is on us to prove ourselves.....if you don't, then quite simply you'll find doors closed to you everywhere.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 7:29 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I can guarantee that I have a far better understanding of the Spanish outlook on life than you have. I've lived in a totally Spanish speaking small rural community since 2005.....total immersion out of circumstance rather than choice. Most days I speak more Spanish than English.....no choice in the matter.

The Spanish take people as they find them, and providing you show a commitment to their country and willingness to learn their language you will never be outside looking in.
Unfortunately very few Brits get to that position because they can't leave their arrogance and sense of superiority back in Britain.
We're in their country and the onus is on us to prove ourselves.....if you don't, then quite simply you'll find doors closed to you everywhere.
Congratulations in overcoming all that superiority and arrogance
Old Nov 14th 2011, 7:30 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I think this op is a wind up, no-one spells that bad unless intentional, someone is having a larf
Old Nov 14th 2011, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Unmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really nice

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Congratulations in overcoming all that superiority and arrogance
Never had any jacky....that would be an impossibility with my accent I'm afraid!
Old Nov 14th 2011, 8:04 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Like you we live in a totally Spanish community and are charged the same as all of the local people. We chose to live with them, beside them and do the same things as them, we are not separate from them at all and have never wanted to change that. Our local garage charges us the same as others in the town and their prices are always extremely fair, builders charge us the going rate for jobs and do not fleece us, electrician is also very reasonable. They all work in a professional manner and we have never had cause to complain about anything. We are accepted as part of the community, our neighbours are supportive and caring, we also support and care for them, one family tell us that we are an important part of their family and we honestly feel that this is true.

Different areas will give people different experiences, however as you so rightly said it is also the persons attitude that will effect how they are perceived and treated.

Rosemary
Old Nov 14th 2011, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Like you we live in a totally Spanish community and are charged the same as all of the local people. We chose to live with them, beside them and do the same things as them, we are not separate from them at all and have never wanted to change that. Our local garage charges us the same as others in the town and their prices are always extremely fair, builders charge us the going rate for jobs and do not fleece us, electrician is also very reasonable. They all work in a professional manner and we have never had cause to complain about anything. We are accepted as part of the community, our neighbours are supportive and caring, we also support and care for them, one family tell us that we are an important part of their family and we honestly feel that this is true.

Different areas will give people different experiences, however as you so rightly said it is also the persons attitude that will effect how they are perceived and treated.

Rosemary
Agreed Rosemary! And unfortunately there are Brits out there who don't conduct themselves well with the Spanish, and make things difficult for the rest of us.
If the Spanish are running a two tier system it's only for people they don't like. And as you know they don't make any attempt to hide their feelings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.