Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

thinking of moving to spain...

thinking of moving to spain...

Old Nov 16th 2011, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

cat6 has a brilliant futurecat6 has a brilliant futurecat6 has a brilliant futurecat6 has a brilliant futurecat6 has a brilliant futurecat6 has a brilliant future
Default Re: thinking of moving to spain...

Originally Posted by JuanSolo
Actually, there's a bilingual program in Madrid and in state schools (colegios públicos) they teach in English and Spanish, roughly 50% of the classes are in English.

Anyway I wouldn't recommend to move to Spain without a fixed incom or with a job arranged.
There's a bilingual program in the colegios concertados where we live in the Basque country. And as for jobs, if you fancy teaching English, I would say you'd have absolutely no problem here at all. Just as a counterbalance to the many posters who have a tendency to assume the CDS, Costa Blanca etc. are completely representative of Spain as a whole.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 7:54 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cat6
And as for jobs, if you fancy teaching English, I would say you'd have absolutely no problem here at all.
Hi, I've been following this thread with interest since the beginning. The OP said in her first post that she wouldn't be working.
She simply wants to go to Spain for an extended holiday with her adolescent son and toddler daughter. Those who have kept on-topic suggest that it's not a good idea to take a 14 year old out of UK education for several months (and away from his friends and family). He wouldn't have any mates to discuss teenage problems with, he wouldn't settle in a Spanish school, ... The toddler should be OK except that she'd prevent her mother from having a social life until babysitters and/or Day Centres are organised.
One point no one has brought up - will the OP get permission from the father(s) to take the children out of the UK?
Since she won't be working, has she calculated how much money she must take with her to pay the rent, utilities, insurance,... and feed and clothe the three of them for the duration? if she were contemplating coming to France, I'd recommend at least 2000€ per month for rent and basics, but maybe Spain is cheaper....
Old Nov 16th 2011, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

JuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The Oddities
You were not rude to Graham at all, in fact I do not think that you are ever rude to anyone.

Yes it is a broad community with people having different experiences, however, unfortunately those of us who have settled in happily in our chosen location tend to be told that we are blind to the negatives and therefore our opinions are not of any value and they say that we view the place with rose tinted glasses. I would love any of these people to walk in our shoes for a month and then perhaps they would understand that our life is absolutely terrible (due to OH´s health) and has been for the past 2 years. Nevertheless we do not blame this on Spain or the Spanish people (Spanish surgeons, doctors etc) but look at the broader picture and value what we have, our pleasant experiences and the people that we live amongst. We have not allowed our difficulties to make us bitter and twisted so perhaps we are not "normal" Brits. Maybe we have had so much influence from our Spanish friends and neighbours that we have lost the ability to whinge about things, I do not know but I do know that it is their positive thinking and kind thoughts that have supported me throughout our ordeals.

Rosemary
I'm sorry to hear you're suffering and I wish a fast recover for your OH. I'm glad you two cope with this setback with bravery and positiveness.

Should this help people to understand that what happen to you does not matter, it's how you take what happens that matters.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 8:56 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Should this help people to understand that what happen to you does not matter, it's how you take what happens that matters.
Thanks for that bit of wisdom. I feel much better.

By the way, I have a 2-mile stretch of beautiful beachfront property in Belize - perfect for your dream home. I am forced to sell it to pay my Endesa electric bill this month.

You can rest assured that I have forgiven Endesa for charging me €100K this month - after, all, it's how you take what happens that matters, right?

So, to thank you for that wisdom, just give me €100K in cash, and the beachfront property is yours. Then you have a beautiful beachfront property, I can pay the electric bill, and Endesa gets €99950 in profit. Everbody wins!
Old Nov 16th 2011, 9:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas

By the way, I have a 2-mile stretch of beautiful beachfront property in Belize - perfect for your dream home. I am forced to sell it to pay my Endesa electric bill this month.

You can rest assured that I have forgiven Endesa for charging me €100K this month - after, all, it's how you take what happens that matters, right?

So, to thank you for that wisdom, just give me €100K in cash, and the beachfront property is yours. Then you have a beautiful beachfront property, I can pay the electric bill, and Endesa gets €99950 in profit. Everbody wins!
And this contribution helps the OP (or indeed any newcomer who may have taken some snippets of info from the thread as per HBG suggested...!) HOW___????

Please guys letś try tokeep on topic, the forum loses out when threads wander too far from the themes.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dmu
One point no one has brought up - will the OP get permission from the father(s) to take the children out of the UK?

UK residents dont need permission to take their children out of the country.

However, its often not the same freedom for French and Spanish parents in their own country.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 10:07 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
However, its often not the same freedom for French and Spanish parents in their own country.
That's certainly true for us in France. It's to prevent divorcees from taking children out of the country without the other parents' permission. Also to prevent kidnappers from taking children out of the country.... You have to show an official signed paper at Border Control.
There was a thread on the USA forum some time ago about fathers not being willing to give permission for an English mother to take their children to the US.
Which is why I mentioned it here...
Old Nov 16th 2011, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Unmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really nice

Endesa are charging you 100K for a monthly electricity bill?
Old Nov 16th 2011, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

tex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud of

DMU said (part quote)
"I'd recommend at least 2000€ per month for rent and basics"

Thats probobly about right for a six month stay, even renting furnished there will be things you feel you 'need' and buy plus other start up costs such as car rental or even travel costs to look at different areas. Don't forget she would not want to go and live a back packer lifestyle, she would want to go eat out, try different things so really for a six month trip I guess she would need £12k minimum

Realistically if she intends to live there long term the only option for the eldest is one of the private schools, maybe @ €400 a month(?), rent €500 ish?, add food, utilities, child care etc and the gal needs a steady income of at least €1500 a month income. A retired couple can live on less but lets be honest with a young family your costs go up.

We don't really know the ladies personal financial circumstances so this may be a feasible project for her and good luck if she goes for it but without that financial security I fear the trip would end in tears.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 12:15 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

UK residents dont need permission to take their children out of the country.

Depends very much on the circumstances, if she is divorced and both partners have parental responsibility the law states that neither parent can remove the child from England or Wales without permission of the other parent or any other person with parental responsibility. Written permission should be kept with the childs passport.

Rosemary
Old Nov 16th 2011, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Depends very much on the circumstances, if she is divorced and both partners have parental responsibility the law states that neither parent can remove the child from England or Wales without permission of the other parent or any other person with parental responsibility. Written permission should be kept with the childs passport.

Rosemary
Parental Responsibility in the UK is meaningless these days as is automatically granted to married parents to allow the CSA to get child maintenance if and when they separate.

However, for instance, it does not give a divorced parent the automatic right to contact or even to see the the kids, this has to be done through the Court.

Can you imagine the queues at passport control if every adult with a child or children was questioned! How would anyone know if the adult was single, married divorced or widowed? For instance, I have a friend who despite having been married 3 times retained her maiden name throughout on her passport and has 3 kids with different surnames.

I actually dont think there is a UK law that states that someone with parental responsibility can stop another from taking their kids on holiday. Ive looked and cannot find it.

Maybe someone can find it as would be interested to read it if it exists.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light

Parental Responsibility in the UK is meaningless these days as is automatically granted to married parents to allow the CSA to get child maintenance if and when they separate.

However, for instance, it does not give a divorced parent the automatic right to contact or even to see the the kids, this has to be done through the Court.

Can you imagine the queues at passport control if every adult with a child or children was questioned! How would anyone know if the adult was single, married divorced or widowed? For instance, I have a friend who despite having been married 3 times retained her maiden name throughout on her passport and has 3 kids with different surnames.

I actually dont think there is a UK law that states that someone with parental responsibility can stop another from taking their kids on holiday. Ive looked and cannot find it.

Maybe someone can find it as would be interested to read it if it exists.
English friend of ours was told at Stansted this summer (returning to UK) that she had to carry her daughter's birth certificate with her as they have different surnames (the child is 10). Sometimes the immigration officers ARE interested ...
Old Nov 16th 2011, 1:40 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Rosemary
Originally Posted by noelrosie
English friend of ours was told at Stansted this summer (returning to UK) that she had to carry her daughter's birth certificate with her as they have different surnames (the child is 10). Sometimes the immigration officers ARE interested ...
Many years ago we used to take our childrens friends on holidays with us, even back then we were advised to carry letters of approval from their parents in case of problems at the borders.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

JuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud ofJuanSolo has much to be proud of

You're most welcome. I'm overjoyed to help people to feel better. Besides I appreciate your feedback.

I'm sorry to hear that. For sure you had to work very hard to purchase such a wonderful property. I hope things don't go that far.
If you feel forgiving Endesa will make you feel better, then it's Ok. €100K is a very expensive bill for a residential facility, even for a hotel with 3000 rooms. There must be a mistake. I'm sure it can be fixed. Perhaps it is more complex to solve a €20 issue than a €2000 one. If you yell at them, you may gain less than if you just smile and set an interview. €100K worth it, both for you and them. Being assertive is often profitable.
Unfortunately I can't afford that property. We live four people in 60 sqm. We spent holidays at my parents in law's and we must get by with my modest wages because my wife got fired because she had a baby. I have a degree in IT and 15 years of experience as a PM / Architect, but somehow I don't grow professionally even though my talent is recognized. That's other reason why I want to move out of Spain.

All of us have long stories to be told with a bottle of good whiskey.

We could complain and moan, or start working hard to override our situation. Things happen, we can tackle the ones within our influence circle but there's no point in suffering because of the ones out of it.

It took a lifetime for me to gather my current wisdom. Sarcasm is fun but it's a two edge sword. Yo can make fun on it or take advantage of it, it's up to you.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Unmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really nice

I have a degree in IT and 15 years of experience as a PM / Architect, but somehow I don't grow professionally even though my talent is recognized. That's other reason why I want to move out of Spain.
What work do you do at the moment Juan?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.