Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving to Spain

Thinking of moving to Spain

Old Apr 1st 2011, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

craig1878 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of moving to Spain

Hello,

I am currently toying with the idea of moving to Spain. I am a 30 year old single male and I would not require getting a job in Spain. I have booked a flight to Malaga and a return to UK from Alicante a week later giving me time to look around and hopefully find somewhere suitable.

I would like to ask advice on places which I should include in my visit. Ideally I would like to stay somewhere busy, and pretty central with an expat community. I am worried that I may get lonely by myself, so anywhere that is socially active would be great.

Also, if anyone has any extra advice i would be most grateful.

Thanks,

Craig
Old Apr 1st 2011, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of moving to Spain

Originally Posted by craig1878
Hello,

I am currently toying with the idea of moving to Spain. I am a 30 year old single male and I would not require getting a job in Spain. I have booked a flight to Malaga and a return to UK from Alicante a week later giving me time to look around and hopefully find somewhere suitable.

I would like to ask advice on places which I should include in my visit. Ideally I would like to stay somewhere busy, and pretty central with an expat community. I am worried that I may get lonely by myself, so anywhere that is socially active would be great.

Also, if anyone has any extra advice i would be most grateful.

Thanks,

Craig
A week is not much time to get the feel of somewhere.Given your flights and time schedule Malaga and Alicante have highest numbers of expats so you will be in the right areas for that.
I think it is more important to ask yourself the reasons for moving.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

If you don't have to be next to the sea, then definitely give Seville a look. Great vibe, young city, lots of expats. You won't get lonely.

The city of Malaga itself doesn't have too many expats. It's a great Spanish city. Also very lively. But, for the expats you will have to go to look up and down the coast.

The other option is Marbella and Puerto Banus. Great night life, specially during the summer. Places like the Nikki Beach Club you can hang out in and then there are places like Linekers, second line in Puerto Banus. It can get a little grim November to April though.

http://www.nikkibeach.com/marbella/events.php
Old Apr 1st 2011, 2:59 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

If you’re looking for an expat community, you won’t find them in either Malaga or Alicante, but they’re not far away.

Fuengirola is the biggest expat community near Malaga and Benidorm near Alicante.

Benidorm is the biggest holiday resort in the world and it is full of Brits, though mostly holidaymakers. You mention a fear of loneliness, which is understandable, and on that basis I would recommend Benidorm, a place in which you cannot feel lonely.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your replies.

I suppose I havent really decided exactly what I want or what I am after which is why I want to try a few different places out.

With going to the touristy places like Benidorm and Marbella I fear that during the off season it might be too quiet, but then with the main cities like Valencia and Seville although busy all year round, I might find it harder to settle and make friends???

Is it unusual for single people to move over to Spain? From reading these forums it seems most people who move are families or couples.
Old Apr 1st 2011, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

Is it unusual for single people to move over to Spain? From reading these forums it seems most people who move are families or couples.
It is not unusual, but it is unusual for them to post on this board. There are forums dedicated to single travellers.

I don't think you wil have a problem settling down in Seville. It has a lot of expats and a constant flow of trousits through out the year, so it won't seem deserted in the off season. The other option is Barcelona. Any reason why you haven't considered it?
Old Apr 1st 2011, 8:35 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replies.
With going to the touristy places like Benidorm and Marbella I fear that during the off season it might be too quiet, but then with the main cities like Valencia and Seville although busy all year round.
Benidorm is quieter in winter but never quiet and has a high concentration of Brits. Valencia is obviously busy all year round and is my third favourite city in the world but as for an expat population I do not think there are that many and will be spread around the city.
Best of luck with your attempts to make a decision.

Graham
Old Apr 1st 2011, 10:39 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your replies.

I suppose I havent really decided exactly what I want or what I am after which is why I want to try a few different places out.

With going to the touristy places like Benidorm and Marbella I fear that during the off season it might be too quiet, but then with the main cities like Valencia and Seville although busy all year round, I might find it harder to settle and make friends???

I moved here a single man and social life has been fantastic even though there was hardly an expat community. I also did not come over to Spain to meet more foreigners. Definetely go and savour Seville, great great city! And Tarifa should be on your checklist as well.

Am married now, with children and still enjoying the life here!
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 1:21 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replies.

If you're not too bothered by proximity to coast, then Madrid is a great option. It attracts people from all over the world, and there's a lively English-speaking expat community there too.

One thing about the major cities however. In summer (and particularly August) things grind to a halt and most people head for the coast or mountains. Or (in the case of English language teachers) they for short contracts in the UK. It's not as bad as it used to be in Madrid, but you will still find many restaurants, shops etc that close up for the month.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your help, I will be sure to visit Seville at least, and hopefully find somewhere suitable.
Old Apr 8th 2011, 11:18 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

If you are outgoing making new friends should not be an issue. You will find lots of social activity, (almost) anywhere you choose.
Old Apr 10th 2011, 10:12 am
Just Joined

I wouldn't say I am particularly outgoing, but once I am out of my comfort zone I'm confident I'll be able to adjust (I hope)!!

After speaking to a few people who live on the Costa Del Sol and reading on here, I have decided to visit Malaga, Fuengirola, Marbella and Seville. Also staying for one night in Valencia (prior to Benicassim festival).

I have flights booked for July but I am now considering another visit before then, hoping I will be able to get more of a feel for these places. Would anyone have any suggestions for specific areas which might be worth looking at in these spots. Obviously the central areas, but I probably won't be renting somewhere central long term, so places which are nearby?

Many thanks,

Craig
Old Apr 10th 2011, 10:49 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't say I am particularly outgoing, but once I am out of my comfort zone I'm confident I'll be able to adjust (I hope)!!

After speaking to a few people who live on the Costa Del Sol and reading on here, I have decided to visit Malaga, Fuengirola, Marbella and Seville. Also staying for one night in Valencia (prior to Benicassim festival).

I have flights booked for July but I am now considering another visit before then, hoping I will be able to get more of a feel for these places. Would anyone have any suggestions for specific areas which might be worth looking at in these spots. Obviously the central areas, but I probably won't be renting somewhere central long term, so places which are nearby?

Many thanks,

Craig
We live Costa Blanca, where there are so many disco bars and Club GB where you can meet other singles. I am sure you will find similar in the areas you mention.

If you have any sporting interests(?), that would be a good way to meet others. Look out for the free local rags where you will find out what is going on. You might want to view Costa Blanca News on line > http://www.costa-news.com/index.php?...=60&Itemid=122
There is a section on CDS. You can subscribe to have in sent to UK.

AFIK you will not find a high density of Brits living in Seville and Valencia. Some would say that is a bonus .

Last edited by missile; Apr 10th 2011 at 10:51 am.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 7:00 am
Just Joined

murcia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AdrianTO
It is not unusual, but it is unusual for them to post on this board. There are forums dedicated to single travellers.
Well that´s very prejudicial, I´m single and I´m posting so I wouldn´t take any notice of that.. being single may be unusual in all kinds of places but it shouldn´t put you off from participating just like everyone else whatever you´re doing, whether you´re in a forum or whatever. What you´ll find in Spain is that Spaniards don´t reach out to single people like they do in some other countries. The culture based on Catholocism means large insular families and they have their own support systems within those, and expect everyone else to have theirs within their families too. So if you´re on your own you won´t be made to feel too much part of things and invited into peoples´homes unless you maybe work there and get very integrated via the work route. Which does mean focussing on English speaking expat areas. Towns can sometimes be lonelier places for single people too as everyone is busy in a rush and it´s all very anonymous. I´d head for the known British areas if it´s your first time looking
Old Apr 16th 2011, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your replies.

I am leaning towards the larger expat areas as a start for the reasons you mention although I don't fancy moving anywhere resembling 'little england'.
I have been reading the forums and the impression of Fuengirola seems to be similar to Benidorm, which is a bit too full on for me, but i shall find out and judge for myself once I visit.

I will not be working in Spain as I have a job working in the UK for 2 weeks but then i will have 3 weeks off which is why i am hoping to spend them in Spain. So I won't be able to integrate via the work route, but with 3 weeks off at a time i hope i can meet people in other ways, and as you say, going to the known British areas is probably the best place to start.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.