Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving to España

Thinking of moving to España

Old Dec 8th 2009, 10:50 am
Just Joined

JimmyD40 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of moving to España

Hi everybody!

I have finally made my mind up to move out to Spain...Ive lived in England all of my life and feel like a change is needed, dead end job, not in a serious relationship, no real ties to where I am...so why the heck not?

Top of my list is the Costa Del Sol as I used to holiday there as a child. I just wondered where I need to start...does anybody have any first tips or advice for a newbie? Does anybody live in Marbella?? I have lovely memories of the place.

Thanks and best wishes,

Jimmy
Old Dec 8th 2009, 11:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of moving to España

You don't say if you want to retire there, or whether you'd need a job etc. If you need to work, unless you have a pile of money to fall back on, I would not even consider it without a firm job offer. I'd also suggest you have a trip down there, see if it still does it for you, if you haven't visited since a child it will have changed a lot, and not all for the better. And living in Spain is a completely different kettle of fish from being on holiday there
Old Dec 8th 2009, 11:18 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Some on here say there are lots of jobs around

According to today's Sur unemployment is reaching crisis levels in Marbella, up 4.7% in a month.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo

According to today's Sur unemployment is reaching crisis levels in Marbella, up 4.7% in a month.
Where are all these jobs?
Old Dec 8th 2009, 11:26 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I think some on here may be a little hopeful then
I still remember those jobs at Ikea with some 5o,ooo applicants
Old Dec 8th 2009, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I think some on here may be a little hopeful then
I still remember those jobs at Ikea with some 5o,ooo applicants
I can't help wondering if that was a little bit of creative reporting. 50,000 is a MASSIVE number, kind of hard to believe.

On the positive side I know about half a dozen people who have been shortlisted for interview so it's not all bleak.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 11:39 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Wish you could name those "some"? I've heard some posters claim you can get a job if you try hard enough, but I've not heard anyone say there are "lots of jobs around".

For the OP, a good jobsite in Spain is infojobs.net If you use the search word "ingles" you'll see 7,768 jobs advertised. However most of these will be aimed at local spanish who can speak English (in addtion to other skills). Also most of the jobs will be located in either Madrid or Barcelona, not on the Costa del Sol. If you were looking for work in England you'd be better looking at London or the south-east rather than Cornwall.

On the other hand, if you can find buyers for those on the CDS wanting to sell their property, you'd have as much work as you could cope with !

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 1:33 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the jobs advertised to the English are dodgy timeshare or share sales, paid only by results, if you are lucky enough to get paid at all.
One of the biggest estate agents went down the pan owing thousands to their employees.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 1:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Veleta
I can't help wondering if that was a little bit of creative reporting. 50,000 is a MASSIVE number, kind of hard to believe.
But they give a very exact breakdown of the figures, what would be the point of making them up?
que Ikea ha recibido ni más ni menos que un total de 50.074 candidaturas -28.487 han sido de mujeres y 21.587 de hombres- para los 300 puestos de trabajo que la compañía precisa para su establecimiento en Jerez.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 1:56 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
But they give a very exact breakdown of the figures, what would be the point of making them up?
It was similar when Iceland opened here, thousands after a few jobs.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 4:36 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Spain is great for retirees, (providing they have a pension/cash source to tide them thru.)

Getting a job there is a very different kettle of fish and you would be well advised to pay attention to the more pessimistic posters.

That doesn't apply if you have an internet business that you can run from anywhere, but beware, even that is no guarantee, as a friend of mine found out to his cost.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 5:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bil
Spain is great for retirees, (providing they have a pension/cash source to tide them thru.)
Exactly what I have always maintained. If you have more than sufficient funds to enjoy life, if you are not worried about the ups and downs of the markets, don't need a job, then it's quite a good deal.
Old Dec 8th 2009, 5:26 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Not as good a deal as it used to be. In the early 90's you could sell a house in south east England, buy a villa with pool (CDS) car and all the trappings and still have a healthy bank balance (earning 12% in a spanish bank). Cost of living was considerably less.

Average price of a house in the UK is about £167,000, can't get much for that now counting around 12% oncosts. Moving now with a UK pension and the poor exchange rate is like signing away about 20% purchasing power. It is a no-brainer!
Old Dec 8th 2009, 6:09 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Not as good a deal as it used to be. In the early 90's you could sell a house in south east England, buy a villa with pool (CDS) car and all the trappings and still have a healthy bank balance (earning 12% in a spanish bank). Cost of living was considerably less.

Average price of a house in the UK is about £167,000, can't get much for that now counting around 12% oncosts. Moving now with a UK pension and the poor exchange rate is like signing away about 20% purchasing power. It is a no-brainer!
Well, if you're specifying the "south-east" in paragraph 1, you should quote the average price of a house for that region in paragraph 2. According to the Beeb, in May 2009 (and if anything prices have gone up a little since) it's £264,906).
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/h...ml/region9.stm
But you could well be right. I think anyone reading your posts would certainly be put off buying on the CDS.

As I mentioned before, if the OP can find someway of helping the selling process of houses in the CDS, they'd be quids in! Not talking about becoming an estate agent (plenty o f those without work now?) But maybe something else? Anyone has ideas? Or is Jackytoo right - it'll be almost impossible to sell a house on the CDS?
Old Dec 8th 2009, 6:25 pm
Banned

Yes, fair point about the average price but it still wouldn't buy the same as it bought in the early nineties. Everything has changed now and the exchange rate is a double whammy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.