Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Thinking of buying property in Murcia, Spain

Thinking of buying property in Murcia, Spain

Old Oct 10th 2014, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of buying property in Murcia, Spain

Always choose a currency broker over a bank for exchanging large amounts of cash. Banks have very extortionate rates and can take a week or more to actually move the money. The currency brokers of which there are many ( I currently use Currencies Direct and MoneyCorp) move the cash on receipt of your money to them ie 24 hours.

Always go for a Spanish solicitor, it makes sense, they know the local law, English ones do not. Just make sure it is an independant one from that of the vendor or one that the vendors agent recommends you use. Again I use Abaco Assesores. They are a Spanish firm based in Torrevieja, but the nicety here is that although they are Spanish they have they also cater to the english by having english speaking para-legals for house completions. The para legal will also accompany you to the notary's office when the actual exchange takes place to walk you through the technical jargon that can crop up in Spanish. In our case the notary raised the point that the mortgage company were attempting to overcharge us by a month should the mortgage run to full term! All of this discussed in Spanish when we understood no Spanish at all. Thanks to the para legal we were fully informed.

Last edited by Bri and Katee; Oct 10th 2014 at 8:36 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2014, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

I used Hifx for my first purchase in Spain and am soon to complete on another purchase. Hifx now seem to be an online exchange and my preference is to deal with a broker/dealer/salesman direct as I believe you can get a better rate.. I have opened an account with fxechange and that is who I am likely to use having spoken to the broker.
The other benefit is I can instruct the trade and then transfer the funds to the Company. Some other brokers require you to put them in funds prior to trading.
I did send over the holding deposit using my online current account. It worked well but cost £10 plus a rate that was around 1.5 cents less than you can achieve through a broker.
Old Oct 12th 2014, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

Tony V is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you, everyone on this site has been really helpful and kind.
Sometimes it's just great to know that there is a wealth of knowledge out there and that people are willing to share
Old Oct 12th 2014, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your time and effort in responding. It's very much appreciated and some very good advise there too.
Old Oct 12th 2014, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

I think I need to do a lot more research. Perhaps visit different areas and look at lots of property. Then make my decision in a year or so.
Old Oct 12th 2014, 9:59 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

There are many options but no "right" choices. What suits one may not suit another's requirements. Go visit for sure, but don't leave it too long to live your dreams.
Old Oct 12th 2014, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by missile
There are many options but no "right" choices. What suits one may not suit another's requirements. Go visit for sure, but don't leave it too long to live your dreams.
Thank you, that's a interesting statement.
Could be deep and meaningful, could be flip.lol
I shall give it some thought.
Hope you are having a great day
Old Oct 12th 2014, 10:23 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

It was a serious comment. We only have one life and it is all too short.

I meet so many people who say "wish I had done this sooner" and others who say "if only ....".

Enjoy your day too.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 5:57 am
Just Joined

Thank you to all who have responded to my questions. I have tried to reply individually. I am really grateful for all the tips and advice.
I must be doing something wrong as my replies don't seem to be appearing.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

bil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Tony V
Thank you to all who have responded to my questions. I have tried to reply individually. I am really grateful for all the tips and advice.
I must be doing something wrong as my replies don't seem to be appearing.
Hi Tony
I have sent you private message.
Hope to here from you soon.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

bil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant futurebil8999 has a brilliant future

Hi Tony
Sent you a couple of messages last night, can you let me know if you received them, as not showing up at my end.

Bill
Old Oct 18th 2014, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone
I used Hifx for my first purchase in Spain and am soon to complete on another purchase. Hifx now seem to be an online exchange and my preference is to deal with a broker/dealer/salesman direct as I believe you can get a better rate.. I have opened an account with fxechange and that is who I am likely to use having spoken to the broker.
The other benefit is I can instruct the trade and then transfer the funds to the Company. Some other brokers require you to put them in funds prior to trading.
Just an update that may be of interest.

I have just used Money Transfers Abroad with a Best Rate Guarantee | FC Exchange to transfer funds to Spain.

Could not fault the service or rate achieved.

i) Opened account on line.
ii) Contacted by Trader who was going to act for me.
iii) Made trade a couple of days later.(better than HIFX on line rate)
iv) Settled with bank transfer at around 1pm next day.
v) Completed online transfer to Spanish account around 2pm
vi)Funds transferred that day.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by johnnyone
Just an update that may be of interest.

I have just used Money Transfers Abroad with a Best Rate Guarantee | FC Exchange to transfer funds to Spain.

Could not fault the service or rate achieved.

i) Opened account on line.
ii) Contacted by Trader who was going to act for me.
iii) Made trade a couple of days later.(better than HIFX on line rate)
iv) Settled with bank transfer at around 1pm next day.
v) Completed online transfer to Spanish account around 2pm
vi)Funds transferred that day.

That sounds very impressive.
I am now collating all the information provided by the really helpful people on this site.
I would be looking to rent and to use it myself for the first 5-10 years then reassess the situation.