Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Think may have been given a daft quote...

Think may have been given a daft quote...

Old Apr 22nd 2009, 10:46 pm
Just Joined

KMas is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Think may have been given a daft quote...

Hi,

I'm less than a week away from my move to Spain and in the process of trying to sort some details out. I've been given a quote for some work that I think is unreasonable (based on UK prices) but it might be the Spanish norm - could someone advise?

We are moving into a house that had a previous Sky installation, we will be bringing our own box, the lead between the dish and the box is still in place, we will be buying our own dish, the only thing that needs done is for the dish to be positioned. The holes are there from the previous one so I can put it up myself. What would be a reasonable cost just to have a dish positioned to get Sky?

I'll wait and see the response before giving my quote in case it is right and I'm just being tight lol.

Thanks
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 10:58 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Think may have been given a daft quote...

what part off spain please we have from 90 cm - 3 meter dish here in the main land . in the Alicante area 2 meter dish but know of few 3 meter dish in area

just the area and i be able two give list off well know , professional Installers

jurdy
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 11:20 pm
Just Joined

Hi, I'll be down near La Linea (in an urb'). (Cadiz)

Thanks Jury

Last edited by KMas; Apr 22nd 2009 at 11:26 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

If you can fit the dish yourself and just need it positioning. Connect the LNB to the box and point the dish somewhere just to the left of of due south at an angle of around 35 degrees from horizontal and with a bit of luck, and a bit of "left a bit right a bit" you should get a signal
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 12:41 am

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by KMas
Hi,

I'm less than a week away from my move to Spain and in the process of trying to sort some details out. I've been given a quote for some work that I think is unreasonable (based on UK prices) but it might be the Spanish norm - could someone advise?

We are moving into a house that had a previous Sky installation, we will be bringing our own box, the lead between the dish and the box is still in place, we will be buying our own dish, the only thing that needs done is for the dish to be positioned. The holes are there from the previous one so I can put it up myself. What would be a reasonable cost just to have a dish positioned to get Sky?

I'll wait and see the response before giving my quote in case it is right and I'm just being tight lol.

Thanks
An Engineer and I use that word loosely will charge about 50 euros to re align your dish but why not do it yourself. Below is a link to buy your own meter for twenty quid and a website with all the Sat locations.Its not a meter the pros use but will do the job. You need a meter, Left a bit and up and down will not get you the correct /best available picture. If you buy the cheap meter there are no future call out fees as we do have a lot of wind here in Spain and the dish may move a degree or two after a bad winter. Best of luck with your move. The satcure website also covers most problems you may encounter and helpful pictures to guide you if its not on the site try their forum, I have found them most helpful and they deliver to Spain. Why not buy in the UK before arrival and e-mail them for advice before you arrive. I would advice you to deal with recommended Spanish installers as there are cowboys a plenty out there pilgrim.

http://www.dishpointer.com/

http://www.satcure.net/tech/satmeter.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qMbbi2l9JA

Last edited by poshnbucks; Apr 23rd 2009 at 12:50 am.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 12:49 am
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

poshnbucks is right there lot off cowboys out there but good installer will stand by his work and you sould be going out every few day moving you dish are empty the dishwasher .....

yes i have picked up the pices from cowboys installers in spain ... some spanish aswell .... satandpcguy on here and give run down aswell

hi posh
pm you there

jurdy
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

sensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud of

60 euros is the price,still think thats dear but thats what they tried to charge me when lnb got water in it,bought a new one from shop,couldnt get it to work,sent there guy up had to replace the new one as it was faulty,didnt get paid needless to say
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 6:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sensationalfrog
60 euros is the price,still think thats dear but thats what they tried to charge me when lnb got water in it,bought a new one from shop,couldnt get it to work,sent there guy up had to replace the new one as it was faulty,didnt get paid needless to say
Use info from here

http://www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk/

Price sounds about right, realignment is anywhere from 40 to 80 Eu's depending on location.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 9:03 am
Just Joined

I've been quoted €300 just to have the dish positioned! I thought that might be steep. I'll read over everyones links and advice, thanks very much for your help!
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 9:11 am
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

€ 300 !! What a rip off !!!

In our area you pay 399,- For box, dish and installation!

Good that you checked here!
Old Apr 24th 2009, 2:05 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Pity you can't name and shame on here as whoever quoted that price are definitely trying it on ... are you sure they only quoted for repositioning and not for a complete installaton?
Old Apr 24th 2009, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to beholdHondon Voyager is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jur
€ 300 !! What a rip off !!!

In our area you pay 399,- For box, dish and installation!

Good that you checked here!
That seems very cheap as my box was in the region of a couple of hundred and a dish must cost even more ?? But as u say 300 euro for alignment is crazy money.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 5:35 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Is it for installing the dish, and is that set with problems? If you can't use the usual bracket on a wall because of a building or tree in the way, then to put a concrete base down might be around that price.

The above should give you a clue - try reading "Sur in English" or any of the ex-pat rags that are around. Here you need to be sure of what you asked for and what they are going to supply you with - there are few protection laws here

Davexf
Old Apr 25th 2009, 6:37 am
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poshnbucks
An Engineer and I use that word loosely will charge about 50 euros to re align your dish but why not do it yourself.
oi, we are not all cowboys!!!

50 - 70e to install and align a small (80cm dish) sounds about right.

yes you can do it your self - with a sat "beeper" and your receiver and portable tv near the dish. dishpointer will be useful.

300e for a dish reposition does depend what was required...was it a big dish, new concrete base, amount of cabling, new lnbs, dismantle, reassemble, realign.

put it this way - i supply and install an 80cm dish (with stand and lnb and cabling) for around 100 euros. i do realignments for dishes from 30 -70 euros, depending how bad the situation is (should have charge mitzy a lot more considering how his dish was installed!)

to the OP - rememebr that the basic sky minidish will not really be any good here in spain, and on an 80cm dish you will not get the main bbcs and itvs, for these look for a 1.45m dish. dont go for a maplins / fortecstar "petal" dish - cheap but very nasty.

if you want any more advise, pop it on here...as i said above, we are not all cowboys...
Old Apr 25th 2009, 10:32 am
Just Joined

Hi, thanks for the replies.
All he would be doing is attaching a 2m dish to the wall and pointing it in the right direction, everything else is there already.
I shall ask around when I am there next week. He seems to be pricy as his full install is €900.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.