Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Things you need to do to move to Spain before transition period is over

Things you need to do to move to Spain before transition period is over

Old Feb 17th 2020, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

HelenH70 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Things you need to do to move to Spain before transition period is over

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
One: get your NIE ( it's a number you need for everything. Easy to get)
Two: open spanish bank account
Three: deposit a fairly big amount of money in account ( thousands not hundreds)
Four: get private medical cover
Five: sign on padron ( local population register
Six: Get an appointment to apply for residency
Seven: Pay for appointment
Eight: Get a gestor/ lawyer to help with visit to police for time of appointment and to advise on what papers will be required.
my UK passport expires August 2021 should I renew it before I come to Spain (so I can travel back to UK when necessary)
Old Feb 17th 2020, 1:15 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you need to do to move to Spain before transition period is over

Originally Posted by HelenH70
hi I’ve been told I need to get an NIE? Open a bank account and deposit thousands of pounds not hundreds and get a gestor.... really confused now.
It depends on exactly what you wish to do.
Only if and when you wish to become resident will you need to …………….
It really is not as difficult as you may think. If your son is resident(?), surely he is the best person to advise and assist you.

Last edited by missile; Feb 17th 2020 at 1:20 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2020, 1:19 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

my UK passport expires August 2021 should I renew it before I come to Spain (so I can travel back to UK when necessary)
That would seem sensible. Alternatively, you could pre-arrange an appointment at the office in London to renew your passport before August 2021.
Old Feb 17th 2020, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by missile
It depends on exactly what you wish to do.
Only if and when you wish to become resident will you need to …………….
It really is not as difficult as you may think. If your son resident, surely he is the best person to advise and assist you.
thank you for your input. Maybe I’m just thinking it’s a bigger deal now with the UK leaving the eu and that things are going to be different when wanting to move to Spain etc.
Old Feb 17th 2020, 2:20 pm
Started off with nothing

Hi,
No worries, I do hope you will enjoy Spain. Take it one step at a time, relish the challenge of your new life.
Old Feb 17th 2020, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by missile
Hi,
No worries, I do hope you will enjoy Spain. Take it one step at a time, relish the challenge of your new life.
yes I will thank you. Will my husband be able to come and live over there with me after the Brexit transition period? That’s the impression I’m under. Will I be able to use my UK phone over there? I’m with Vodafone. Thanks for your help
Old Feb 17th 2020, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

yes I will thank you. Will my husband be able to come and live over there with me after the Brexit transition period? That’s the impression I’m under. Will I be able to use my UK phone over there? I’m with Vodafone. Thanks for your help
Yes, as you are married before 31st December 2020 and you will establish residency before that date (though the actual application can be made up to 30th June 2021). Currently you can roam free with your UK phone. What will happened after this year is anyone's guess, as it depends on any new agreement UK makes with EU.
Old Feb 17th 2020, 4:44 pm
Started off with nothing

Will I be able to use my UK phone over there? I’m with Vodafone. Thanks for your help
Yes you can use your mobile and UK numbers will be same cost as if you were phoning from UK. However if you phone numbers in Spain, you will be cheaper to get a Spanish SIM card. Any good phone shop will fit SIM card for you.
Old Feb 17th 2020, 4:46 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

One: get your NIE ( it's a number you need for everything. Easy to get)
Two: open spanish bank account
Three: deposit a fairly big amount of money in account ( thousands not hundreds)
Four: get private medical cover
Five: sign on padron ( local population register
Six: Get an appointment to apply for residency
Seven: Pay for appointment
Eight: Get a gestor/ lawyer to help with visit to police for time of appointment and to advise on what papers will be required.

I would advise starting the process of exchanging your UK d/l for a Spanish one as soon as possible as well.
Old Feb 18th 2020, 6:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

You talk about finding work in Spain. What exactly did you have in mind? Do you need to work at some point or will your husband be able to support the both of you? Is your husband going to live in spain and work in uk or work and live in spain? These are the questions you should be asking yourself. Work is very difficult to find here even if you speak spanish. It is also different timetable. You often work longer hours( finishing at 8.00pm) and for only about a quarter of what you might earn in uk!!!. 26%of Spanish families now live below the bread line and 30% of graduates are unemployed. So bear this in mind. Also bear in mind that moving within Schengan area ( I think) will be restricted for UK citizens after Brexit ( Well we voted for no freedom of movement!!) so this might affect your husbands work situation.
Old Feb 18th 2020, 11:47 am
Just Joined

You talk about finding work in Spain. What exactly did you have in mind? Do you need to work at some point or will your husband be able to support the both of you? Is your husband going to live in spain and work in uk or work and live in spain? These are the questions you should be asking yourself. Work is very difficult to find here even if you speak spanish. It is also different timetable. You often work longer hours( finishing at 8.00pm) and for only about a quarter of what you might earn in uk!!!. 26%of Spanish families now live below the bread line and 30% of graduates are unemployed. So bear this in mind. Also bear in mind that moving within Schengan area ( I think) will be restricted for UK citizens after Brexit ( Well we voted for no freedom of movement!!) so this might affect your husbands work situation.
please don’t take offence but you do come across very negative. I understand totally what your saying, but there are people living in poor conditions in the UK also. My attitude is life is short and you need to embrace it and be as positive as possible.
Old Feb 18th 2020, 11:55 am
Started off with nothing

please don’t take offence but you do come across very negative. I understand totally what your saying, but there are people living in poor conditions in the UK also. My attitude is life is short and you need to embrace it and be as positive as possible.
good for you. Follow your dream. Better to try and risk failure than to live in fear of what if …...
Old Feb 18th 2020, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

There is nothing wrong with being positive but it shouldnt be applied as a way dealing with reality. I feel that if you are focusing on questions such as will your uk phone work in spain you might be a long way to getting to grips with moving, living and working in spain.
Old Feb 18th 2020, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

There is nothing wrong with being positive but it shouldnt be applied as a way dealing with reality. I feel that if you are focusing on questions such as will your uk phone work in spain you might be a long way to getting to grips with moving, living and working in spain.
I can see why you’d think this way, but I do know that my phone would work in Spain (well for now anyway with regards to roaming) it was more of wether I’d be able to continue to use Vodafone as my provider. I.e if I can transfer my account to Spain.
Old Feb 18th 2020, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

No you cant just keep your account with your provider and become a spanish customer. If this is the kind of thing that stresses you Spain might be a little bit of a shock

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.