Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Things you need to do to move to Spain before transition period is over

Things you need to do to move to Spain before transition period is over

Old Feb 8th 2020, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you need to do to move to Spain before transition period is over

Originally Posted by Fred James
That is perfectly true, but it has little to do with your assertion that just signing on the register immediately makes you tax resident.

Signing on the Padron would be a better indication of residency for tax purposes because you are effectively declaring that your permanent home is in Spain. Signing on the register only indicates that you want to stay for more than 90 days

Sorry but I feel that this Register/ residency thing is word play. It is quite transparent that in asking for a green card you are formally requesting residency if not then the idea of 5 years then automatic permanent residency wouldn't exist.
You cannot be resident in two countries. EU nationals with settled status are deemed UK residents and are required ( unless Payee) to submit tax forms. They can not circumvent that rule by living for example half the year in Poland. And, I am pretty sure all those Brexiteers would be fuming if that was the case
Old Feb 8th 2020, 10:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you need to do to move to Spain before transition period is over

Of course one can be resident in two countries physically. Splitting the year between two or more countries. Tax or fiscal residency is a different matter and that is why there is a dual tax treaty some of which is straightforward i.e 183 day rule however if complicated then authorities in both countries work out and determine your tax residency. There are many on this forum who will be deemed tax resident in Spain yet still pay income tax in the UK I am one of them, anyone with a UK government pension will pay tax on that pension to the UK even though tax resident elsewhere because the dual tax treaty covers that. Are you not confusing citizenship with residency? Spain does not recognise dual citizenship however UK and certain other countries do. So if one takes Spanish citizenship officially they renounce their UK citizenship (I say officially practically they probably don't).
Old Feb 8th 2020, 10:31 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Tax or fiscal residency is a different matter and that is why ...............…. those who can afford to are domiciled in tax havens
Old Feb 9th 2020, 11:49 am
Just Joined

HelenH70 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all. So if I came to Spain in say November and stay with my son (temporarily as I’d have no immediate job) what procedure would be best to apply to stay permanently there? Also my partner and I will be married in August 2020 so would that allow him to come and live there with me at a later time say 2021? Thanks
Old Feb 10th 2020, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute

In my opinion If you are coming to spain before the B word i would have all relevant forms downloaded filled in paid for ready to go.have a pre booked appointment at the right police station for the day after i arrived with all photocopies and every relevant piece of information and get things started as soon as possible.
Old Feb 10th 2020, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

The day after you arrive? Umm...you need a spanish bank account to pay TASA for a start and then you cant just turn up speaking English...it is Spain !!
Old Feb 10th 2020, 7:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Reality is you need to get over to Spain now and get some preparation done at least get a Spanish bank account. As you will not be working you will need to ensure you have in that bank account sufficient money to satisfy whichever office you apply for residency through that you have sufficient funds. Another bit of preparation is to find out which office you apply to and what amount held in the bank they deem sufficient, it varies there is no set figure. You will also need some form of proof of address as you will not own property or be officially renting, it may be that a letter from your son saying you will live with him will suffice? If you will not be covered by and have in your possession an s1 for medical cover you will need to have in place full private medical care . Hence if I were you I would come over prior to November and speak with a gestor or someone who can answer such queries and be prepared and ready to act on your behalf in November. In my mind November is leaving it very late but again the gestor could advise you better on that one. As for your partner who by then will be your husband, so long as you are legally resident before 31 Dec then the withdrawal agreement allows for them to join you at a later date.
Old Feb 10th 2020, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

The Withdrawal Agreement states you have to be resident in Spain by 31st December 2020, but the actual application for residency doesn't have to be in by 30th June 2021. I wouldn't personally leave it that late but try to get it done by 31st December if at all possible. It's quite probable that new procedures of applying for residency will be introduced in stages, and by the end of the year you will be getting your TIE in plastic with photo and biometrics instead of the green paper certificate of registration.
Old Feb 10th 2020, 9:11 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
The day after you arrive? Umm...you need a spanish bank account to pay TASA for a start and then you cant just turn up speaking English...it is Spain !!
We did ours exactly as suggested. Opened an account online from UK, not an issue to register the day after we arrived!
Old Feb 10th 2020, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by snikpoh
We did ours exactly as suggested. Opened an account online from UK, not an issue to register the day after we arrived!

So you can open a spanish account without being present but can not close said account without presenting yourself with ID in branch where account opened?
Old Feb 10th 2020, 10:04 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
So you can open a spanish account without being present but can not close said account without presenting yourself with ID in branch where account opened?
Different banks have different rules.
Old Feb 17th 2020, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

Ok so I’ve decided that I’m going to move over to Spain (Benalmadena) after I’m married in August 2020. I’ll be able to stay with my son for a while until I get established. My husband will finance me being there and then I can get work and a place etc. My British passport is valid until August 2021 so what are the initial things I would need to do before/after the move. Many thanks to you all but I’m finding it all a minefield at the moment and just want to know exactly what I need to/should do to make it as stress free as possible
Old Feb 17th 2020, 12:38 pm
Started off with nothing

You do not NEED to do anything other than buy an air ticket. Good luck finding work, hopefully your son will be able to assist.
Old Feb 17th 2020, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

One: get your NIE ( it's a number you need for everything. Easy to get)
Two: open spanish bank account
Three: deposit a fairly big amount of money in account ( thousands not hundreds)
Four: get private medical cover
Five: sign on padron ( local population register
Six: Get an appointment to apply for residency
Seven: Pay for appointment
Eight: Get a gestor/ lawyer to help with visit to police for time of appointment and to advise on what papers will be required.
Old Feb 17th 2020, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by missile
You do not NEED to do anything other than buy an air ticket. Good luck finding work, hopefully your son will be able to assist.
hi I’ve been told I need to get an NIE? Open a bank account and deposit thousands of pounds not hundreds and get a gestor.... really confused now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.