Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Things that you cannot translate, no matter how hard you try

Things that you cannot translate, no matter how hard you try

Old Nov 17th 2009, 5:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things that you cannot translate, no matter how hard you try

Originally Posted by JLFS
Oh well, if you thought the translation form Chulos buddy was very good, then I suppose it must be.

Nuff said...............
Dont worry, I thought chulo's translations were terrible - a bit like google translate on speed
Old Nov 17th 2009, 6:13 pm
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of

El vulgar ignorante a todos repreden y habla mas de lo que menos entiende.

Ignorante y burro es todo uno.

Alcalde tonto sentencia pronto.

I`m told typical Spanish phrases.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 6:37 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chulo

Ignorante y burro es todo uno.

Alcalde tonto sentencia pronto.

OK

Shall we all try and be nice to each other now
If you are placing foreign posts up here you will have to translate (even though I appreciate what the thread title is) because the language of this forum is English.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 6:49 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Yes quite right. Suppose there must be lots of members on here who don't speak much Spanish (nothing wrong with that). Perhaps they could google though The ones who like to practice their spanish could always google too and argue the point on a spanish forum
Old Nov 17th 2009, 8:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Typical, my culo! Think it should be "El vulgar ignorante, a todos reprende y habla más de lo que menos entiende.
No such word as "repreden".
Old Nov 17th 2009, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Why would people who are bi-lingual or excellent with a second language want to translate:confused: It has a meaning for them instantly without going through the process of translating. Professionals don't translate literally either

If you feel you must, have a google, there are lots of forums discussing this sort of thing.

Example here

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourc...%2c+meaning+of

Not rocket science if you want to show off is it
Well, I have two sides of the family who speak different languages and cannot communicate directly with each other. So therefore I constantly need to translate things backwards and forwards.

Things like "es muy pesado" do have an instant meaning for me, however when it comes to forming that meaning into words in the other language it isn't always that easy. It might be there in your head as an image or a feeling, but putting it into words is sometimes very difficult.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Is it just my imagination or does this thread smell of testosterone?
Old Nov 18th 2009, 5:49 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
Oh well, if you thought the translation form Chulos buddy was very good, then I suppose it must be.

Nuff said...............
.... just to clarify, I meant the last two only.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 7:12 am
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Veleta

Things like "es muy pesado" do have an instant meaning for me, however when it comes to forming that meaning into words in the other language it isn't always that easy. It might be there in your head as an image or a feeling, but putting it into words is sometimes very difficult.
Try Tiresome (or even cumbersome, but I find the former more in common usage). It works for both person or when referring to a situation. eg That guy is really tiresome, or this game is really tiresome.

As for No tengo ganas, I find 'can't be arsed' works fine although you may want to substitute 'bothered' for the last word
Old Nov 18th 2009, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Fortaleza
Try Tiresome (or even cumbersome, but I find the former more in common usage). It works for both person or when referring to a situation. eg That guy is really tiresome, or this game is really tiresome.

As for No tengo ganas, I find 'can't be arsed' works fine although you may want to substitute 'bothered' for the last word
'Tiresome' is the best I have heard so far. I've been saying 'he's hard work' or 'he's heavy going' whilst being conscious of the fact that they aren't quite right.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 11:33 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I think they could all apply, different meanings for the context. None are incorrect. Nothing wrong with Chulo's "pest" may not be the one I would choose but it is acceptable. I would accept "pain in the ass"
Old Nov 18th 2009, 12:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I think they could all apply, different meanings for the context. None are incorrect. Nothing wrong with Chulo's "pest" may not be the one I would choose but it is acceptable. I would accept "pain in the ass"
"pest" wouldnt work in the context of a famous Spanish saying

"Eres tan pesado como una vaca en brazos"
Old Nov 18th 2009, 12:20 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by cricketman
"pest" wouldnt work in the context of a famous Spanish saying

"Eres tan pesado como una vaca en brazos"
As I sadi different meanings according to context
Old Nov 18th 2009, 1:17 pm
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of

Translation is not an exact science, everybody has different abilities and terms of phrase.

In my area of the UK pest is regularly used, I`m often called a pest by my Spanish friend in both languages and at the end of the day the meaning is the same more or less.

Along with chulo.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 4:24 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Translation is not an exact science, everybody has different abilities and terms of phrase.

A teacher who was teaching me Russian, said he always told people that translating from one language to another, particularly if you are doing it 'in real time' like in a conversation is CDA which he called 'Constant Desperate Approximation'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.