Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Things that you cannot translate, no matter how hard you try

Things that you cannot translate, no matter how hard you try

Old Nov 17th 2009, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold
Default Things that you cannot translate, no matter how hard you try

Ok, this is a spin off from JLFS's thread about the refrán he didn't know how to translate.

Have you come across any phrases (either English or Spanish) that you find impossible to translate? Perhaps we can help each other out, or maybe we can just agree that some things cannot be translated.

Here are a couple to kick off. Perhaps not impossible to translate, but I always struggle to know what to say in English to reflect the meaning accurately. I won't tell you how I translate them yet as I want to see what you guys can come up with.

1) Es muy pesado. (Meaning 'he', a person, is muy pesado, and not referring to his weight!)
2) No tengo ganas.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 2:03 pm
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of
Default Re: Things that you cannot translate, no matter how hard you try

1)Your a pest

2)I don`t feel like it.

Both from my Spanish friend, again.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 2:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Two very common phrases, with the first one being more straightforward imo

1) Es muy pesado = He's very annoying
2) No tengo ganas = I dont want to /I dont have the will to/I'm not looking forward to..
Old Nov 17th 2009, 2:06 pm
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of

Try this one

Vaya yo caliente riase la gente.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 2:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chulo
Try this one

Vaya yo caliente riase la gente.
To do what you like, not to care what anyone else thinks. Más o menos.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 2:38 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

1)Your a pest

2)I don`t feel like it.

Both from my Spanish friend, again.
I thought you were not going to translate anymore as you stated on the "translation thread"

Your "Spanish friend" got it wrong again.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 3:04 pm
Banned

I believe I stated I would not answer stupid questions.

Maybe I should widen that to stupid people.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 3:07 pm
Banned

la ignorancia es valiente!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JFLS should understand that perfectly.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 3:13 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

la ignorancia es valiente!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JFLS should understand that perfectly.
Are you sure that your "Spanish friend" really is your friend????????

He could be telling you these wrong translations, just to make you look like a tit ..................rofl:

Just tell him that he is not up to the job and to leave the translating to others who know more about both languages.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 4:25 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
Are you sure that your "Spanish friend" really is your friend????????

He could be telling you these wrong translations, just to make you look like a tit ..................rofl:

Just tell him that he is not up to the job and to leave the translating to others who know more about both languages.
I see this thread is going the way of all threads at the moment - why can't people stop this fighting and bickering?!

I thought the translations from CHULO (or his friend) were very good - so what's the problem?
Old Nov 17th 2009, 4:32 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Why would people who are bi-lingual or excellent with a second language want to translate It has a meaning for them instantly without going through the process of translating. Professionals don't translate literally either

If you feel you must, have a google, there are lots of forums discussing this sort of thing.

Example here

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourc...%2c+meaning+of

Not rocket science if you want to show off is it
Old Nov 17th 2009, 4:33 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I see this thread is going the way of all threads at the moment - why can't people stop this fighting and bickering?!

I thought the translations from CHULO (or his friend) were very good - so what's the problem?
Oh well, if you thought the translation form Chulos buddy was very good, then I suppose it must be.

Nuff said...............
Old Nov 17th 2009, 4:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh

What? all of them? The first one's were abysmal, but I don't have a problem with the last two. I thought "pesado" was more like "boring" but pest, nuisance are valid. But what do I know?
Old Nov 17th 2009, 4:52 pm
Banned

Veras la paja en el ojo del vecino pero no ves el poste en tu propio ojo.

It may well translate that the person writing this is a dik head.

But if you cannot trust your accountant.

Although he did state that some here are sad, ups sorry that`ll break a rule.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 5:03 pm
Banned

Veras la paja en el ojo del vecino pero no ves el poste en tu propio ojo.

It may well translate that the person writing this is a dik head.

But if you cannot trust your accountant.

Although he did state that some here are sad, ups sorry that`ll break a rule.
Very profound................

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.