Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Things we hate about Britain...and are they any better in Spain ??

Things we hate about Britain...and are they any better in Spain ??

Old Jun 16th 2007, 6:34 am
Livin' in Spain at last!

chrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Things we hate about Britain...and are they any better in Spain ??

Originally Posted by Sally
What's your Blood Pressure mate?
LOL! Getting higher by the minute Sally! I am going to take a lay down now in a darkened room!
Old Jun 16th 2007, 7:13 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things we hate about Britain...and are they any better in Spain ??

Originally Posted by chrisw
Hi all! I agree with all the above statements re thing to hate, ESPECIALLY the "Nanny State" and "Political correctness"! :curse:It seems we fought for freedom and now this is gradually being taken away from us to the point that we are all assumed to be "morons" unable to make decisions for ourselves!
Believe what you see on the TV news, it IS all true! Our young generation have largely become "binge drinkers" I work with a large number of young people who are really lovely people, and who I get on with extremely well. But the vast majority of them regularly binge drink to the point that they don't know what they are doing, turn up for work hungover and spend most of the next morning in the loo disposing of "the evidence".
At Christmas, the local authority install urinals on a piece of waste land in the City because of the problems of "doorway deposits". Ambulances and Police are constantly in attndance because of fighting or passing out through overdrinking.
I think a lot of it is peer pressure, but of course this can only continue if family values allow or accept this type of attitude or behaviour.
It is REALLY refreshing for me to hear that the young people in Spain CAN and DO have a good time without having to get drunk to be able to enjoy themselves. Isn't this strange when Spanish children are permitted to drink (albeit that it may be watered down) at home with the family from a very early age. Surely there is a lesson for us to learn here.
HUGE big flashing red speed signs fitted in rural villages! :curse: HELLO, who is going to see them????? If they cut the hedges back motorists would be able to see the EXISTING speed signs!
Resurfacing roads that don't need doing , and not resurfacing roads that do! :curse:They have spent a whole week doing a road about half a mile away. The road is about quarter of a mile long and they have just COMPLETELY resurfaced it, involving detours an' all. There are 3 or 4 houses down that road! Our road is crumbling to pieces and serves hundreds of people!
Traffic light EVERYWHERE and as many per square mile as possible! :curse:
No independent shops, only chain stores or franchises!
I have got to stop myself here because I seems as though the list is endless!
Since having been a member of the forum, have read hundreds of posts, but have yet to read anything which would deter me from moving to Spain. Nowhere is perfect, but it is more than good enogh for me! I am so looking forward to making the move (whenever that will be! God willing not too long!)
You guys are SO lucky to be there already and clearly love your new lives. Savour it you are definately in the right place!
Chris XXX
So you are gonna have a big problem deciding on whether to go to the beach or stay by the pool when you get here then chris. ?
Old Jun 16th 2007, 7:17 am
Livin' in Spain at last!

chrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Things we hate about Britain...and are they any better in Spain ??

Originally Posted by jdr
So you are gonna have a big problem deciding on whether to go to the beach or stay by the pool when you get here then chris. ?
Hi JDR, Nah! No me importa!
Old Jun 16th 2007, 8:54 am
The Best Fed Scot

Lochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of light

Agree with you on the independent shops. Town centres in the UK seem to be clones of each other with identical top shop, burtons, river island, gap... All part of the plastification of the UK, everything neatly packaged and marketed by the big chains. How dull!
Old Jun 16th 2007, 8:57 am
The Best Fed Scot

Lochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of light

Oh, and I'd like to add coffee to the list. Cannae get a decent coffee anywhere in Britain. Bland, overpriced and oversized.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 9:17 am
Just Joined

tommyg is an unknown quantity at this point

Granted we are over polite (although the original poster mentioned it as on the decline in the UK) and staff in shops etc do smile. As an example whilst being served at our local market last Friday an older man quite clearly barked to the woman and waved his bag of fruit over my shoulder, wanting to be served straight away. She pointed she was serving us and he mumbled away behind us, she smiled in a form of apology.

Overall life is great I am just saying in the larger towns manners can be a little lacking, but once you fit in with this way of behaving you don`t really pay much attention to it. My wife wanted to add her viewpoint about Spanish men going into pubs she has worked in the West End of London, who would happily go up to the bar and click their fingers for service, despite lots of others already waiting. At least then she could choose to ignore them until it would be their turn.

Fish, fruit, meals out, markets etc are all great and if there is anything like Branston Pickle that we fancy we do have a local English Quick Save (it amazes us how many people do their whole weekly shop in these places, considering they are not cheap).

Tom
Old Jun 16th 2007, 10:42 pm
Fed up in England!!

silverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=scampicat;4918930]
Originally Posted by scampicat
In the UK I love :

The green grass/none in my part of Spain for around ten months of the year!
The fact that so much stunning scenery can be fitted into one small place
Rivers with water in them/Water???? River?????
Indian Take-aways
Fish and Chips

In the UK I hate :

The lack of family values /These are alive and well and flourishing in Spain
Political Correctness/?Que?
'Nanny' State
Consumerism and 'keeping up with the Jones's'/Shall I have one sardine or two?
Traffic!/Empty Roads

Highlighted in blue are my opinions ofdifferences between the two countries.
I've just asked my Indian friends to teach me how to cook some Indian dishes so I can do some Indian diner parties for my mates when we're over there!
Old Jun 16th 2007, 10:46 pm
The Best Fed Scot

[QUOTE=silverchick;4923719]
Originally Posted by scampicat

I've just asked my Indian friends to teach me how to cook some Indian dishes so I can do some Indian diner parties for my mates when we're over there!
Should be useful, one thing better in britain than spain is indian cooking!
Old Jun 16th 2007, 11:09 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Lochy;4923738]
Originally Posted by silverchick
Should be useful, one thing better in britain than spain is indian cooking!
There, if you lived on our CDS urbo you would be near "Nirvana" the best Indian restuarant in Spain or UK.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 11:10 pm
The Best Fed Scot

[QUOTE=jdr;4923816]
Originally Posted by Lochy
There, if you lived on our CDS urbo you would be near "Nirvana" the best Indian restuarant in Spain or UK.
Where's that then?
Old Jun 16th 2007, 11:15 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

[QUOTE=Lochy;4923821]
Originally Posted by jdr
Where's that then?
Higeuron, Benalmadena Pueblo, just above Fuengirola.
Old Jun 17th 2007, 6:28 pm

glad 2 b back is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tommyg
I hate to disagree with most on here, but even though manners in the UK are on the decline, they don`t exist in Spain at all. Maybe in a little town/village where they are delighted you are spending money, they are polite, but believe me in towns manners are non existant. We were actually told by a Spanish neighbour, that we don`t ever say por favor it`s only the tourists that do. Having said that it`s not a problem as you soon get used to barking out requests in shops without ever saying thank you, the staff don`t react any differently to you, indeed the staff almost have more respect towards you. A classic example is walking 2 abreast on a pavement towards a Spanish couple is always interesting as they usually walk straight at you, clearly expecting you to step out of their way. As holiday makers we use to as we had manners, but after a while you think FFS, why can`t you move for a change. So now we also walk 2 abreast and at the last second one of us will go behind the other. They usually continue 2 abreast and we collide. This usually is followed by a few Spanish expletives at which point we laugh at them.

Another example is how rude older men (sexist they certainly are) to female staff in shops, almost throwing the money at them and then waiting for them to pack their bags.

Once you get over this you can have a real laugh, but please don`t make out the Spanish are perfect.

Tom
I couldn't agree with you more!
Old Jun 17th 2007, 6:37 pm

Hi all! I agree with all the above statements re thing to hate, ESPECIALLY the "Nanny State" and "Political correctness"! :curse:
I see this as something good at least there are laws in place to stop racial abuse and prejudism.

Believe what you see on the TV news, it IS all true! Our young generation have largely become "binge drinkers" I work with a large number of young people who are really lovely people, and who I get on with extremely well. But the vast majority of them regularly binge drink to the point that they don't know what they are doing, turn up for work hungover and spend most of the next morning in the loo disposing of "the evidence".
Teenagers have drunk for years nothing new, and also Spanish kids do too and smoke dope, and take drugs I hear cocaine is rather a popular choice, guess what they even have sex out of marriage, I hear 13 is the age of consent in Spain.

At Christmas, the local authority install urinals on a piece of waste land in the City because of the problems of "doorway deposits".
One you'll have to get used to cos Spanish men have a tendancy to whip it out wherever they please. I'm not joking btw anywhere even in busy streets in town, during the day when there are kids about.

Resurfacing roads that don't need doing , and not resurfacing roads that do! :curse:They have spent a whole week doing a road about half a mile away. The road is about quarter of a mile long and they have just COMPLETELY resurfaced it, involving detours an' all. There are 3 or 4 houses down that road! Our road is crumbling to pieces and serves hundreds of people!
Traffic light EVERYWHERE and as many per square mile as possible! :curse:
No independent shops, only chain stores or franchises!
yet some more, although they tend to make a much better job of the roads in blighty not full of pot holes. Yes traffic jams do exist in Spain.

I have got to stop myself here because I seems as though the list is endless!
Since having been a member of the forum, have read hundreds of posts, but have yet to read anything which would deter me from moving to Spain. Nowhere is perfect, but it is more than good enogh for me! I am so looking forward to making the move (whenever that will be! God willing not too long!)
You guys are SO lucky to be there already and clearly love your new lives. Savour it you are definately in the right place!
Chris XXX
I sincerely wish you all the best with your move xxx good luck
Old Jun 17th 2007, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

tommyg is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that, I was beginning to think the Spanish in my area were different to the rest of the country.

Tom
Old Jun 17th 2007, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by lost in spain
A Spanish friend of mine says this is a big problem in central Malaga and the government are trying to entice young people away from drinking excessively in certain outdoor areas in the city by offering alternative activities for them.
I think alcohol abuse is a problem here in inner city areas.

But I agree in general you dont get that feeling of menace from young Spanish people, like you can do in the UK. Binge drinking in the uk is an obscene phenomenon. And now theres a spate of those grim programmes when you see cctv footage of rough looking young girls on hen nights getting pissed, falling over and fighting.

But then again the media in the uk is so negative, if you got all your information about England from the TV you would think you were going to be stabbed everytime you left your house, theres no balance in the way things are reported.
I agree with you there is "Spanish yobs" and there are extremely run down areas but expats are not going to venture into those areas. I used to frequent Malaga reguarly and see plenty. I liked it there because it was a city as opposed to a seaside tourist resort to me it was real life with all the grit.

As for the UK media couldn't agree more, they hype up everything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.