Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Things that are more expensive in Spain?

Things that are more expensive in Spain?

Old Oct 20th 2011, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things that are more expensive in Spain?

Unless you plan to travel back to the UK quite often, I'd suggest stocking up on clothes before you move. Although cheap clothes can be bought in Spain, they are very poor quality and decent ones cost more than they can be bought for in the UK, particularly if you shop in the sales or designer outlets.

Over-the-counter medicines like paracetamol, ibuprofen and cold remedies can also be bought much cheaper from supermarkets or pound shops in the UK - they are only sold in farmacias here and although you can buy stronger ones, you will pay a lot more than the 20p or so that the pound shops charge for generic paracetamol.

If you have favourite brands of hair care products, toiletries etc it may be worth bringing a supply of them with you, as they could be difficult to find here. Not necessarily more expensive though, I use Clarins skincare products and they are quite a bit cheaper to buy from the Primor shops than they are in the UK.

Small electrical items like hairdryers, toasters, irons etc can be bought more cheaply in the UK.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 9:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Unless you plan to travel back to the UK quite often, I'd suggest stocking up on clothes before you move. Although cheap clothes can be bought in Spain, they are very poor quality and decent ones cost more than they can be bought for in the UK, particularly if you shop in the sales or designer outlets.
I dont know about that. Shops like Zara, Mango, Springfield and Benetton are on every highstreet in Spain and the prices are quite a lot cheaper that the UK. Quality isnt so bad
Old Oct 20th 2011, 9:19 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Small electrical items like hairdryers, toasters, irons etc can be bought more cheaply in the UK.
Don't bother bringing them - just get Amazon to deliver them either from the Spanish site or the UK site.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
I dont know about that. Shops like Zara, Mango, Springfield and Benetton are on every highstreet in Spain and the prices are quite a lot cheaper that the UK. Quality isnt so bad
We've had this discussion before and will have to agree to disagree! With the exception of one item I bought in Zara and threw away after a couple of months, I don't shop in any of the chains you mention.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Whilst I buy quite a lot via Amazon theres not much chance of a bargain but there is much more choice online or in the High Street in other countries than in Spain.

Quality bed linen and towels, curtains, soft furnishings etc for instance, clothes and much much more.

For those with rellies or a 2nd home in the UK I can recommend buying what you want there and sending it to Spain via Pharos parcels. It is cheap and convenient. A moving box 45x45x53 full of all sorts up to 30kg in weight costs only about 25 quid. I have even sent a set of golf clubs and a bike with them.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 10:01 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
The Sony that have problems are 2007/8. The Samsung seems equally as good as the Sony's.
Pleased about that as I like Sony products.

Graham
Old Oct 20th 2011, 4:08 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Poor choice of shoes in Spain, especially for men they seem only able to make square fronted ones, other styles start at about 50 euros.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 4:20 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

If we're talking clothes then they really are cheaper in UK.

For example; my children have to wear school uniform which, for the boys, comprises black shoes (40euros here and £20 in UK), grey trousers (35 here 2 for £15 in UK), white airtex type top (25euros here or 3 for £5 in UK).

I know Tesco's and Asda to very good deals on school clothes, but there seems to be nowhere to get such bargains here.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 4:24 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the big supermarkets can match Tesco prices - you just need to shop around. I have bought perfectly good shoes for €15 and good polo tops for under €5. As for grey trousers, I have bought good quality ones in El Corte Ingles for less than €35.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 4:26 pm
Spanish, 40

evamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to beholdevamar is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by whitelinen
Whilst I buy quite a lot via Amazon theres not much chance of a bargain but there is much more choice online or in the High Street in other countries than in Spain.

Quality bed linen and towels, curtains, soft furnishings etc for instance, clothes and much much more.

For those with rellies or a 2nd home in the UK I can recommend buying what you want there and sending it to Spain via Pharos parcels. It is cheap and convenient. A moving box 45x45x53 full of all sorts up to 30kg in weight costs only about 25 quid. I have even sent a set of golf clubs and a bike with them.
Just checked their quotation for a parcel I need to send to Spain, and it's much cheaper than the company I was using. Thanks for that, Whitelinen!
Old Oct 20th 2011, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

licinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond repute

For clothing go to http://www.bbclothing.co.uk

Delivery to Spain is £10 & customer service is 2nd to none.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

emjharts is an unknown quantity at this point

Mmm, not much of an answer to my question but rather an arguement between who is better, LG, Samsung or Sony!!! Thanks guys!!!
Old Oct 20th 2011, 6:36 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emjharts
Mmm, not much of an answer to my question but rather an arguement between who is better, LG, Samsung or Sony!!! Thanks guys!!!
It`s the same as any country,all stores have loss leaders, so you just go to all stores and buy them and leave the expensive stuff or buy it all in one store and pay a bit more.
PS get used to threads going off track a touch.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 7:19 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anonimouse
Poor choice of shoes in Spain, especially for men they seem only able to make square fronted ones, other styles start at about 50 euros.
Why dont you just let all your toenails grow to the same lenght then cut them straight across, then the squared fronted shoes would be ideal
Old Oct 21st 2011, 7:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
Why dont you just let all your toenails grow to the same lenght then cut them straight across, then the squared fronted shoes would be ideal
Again, I ask, where the hell do these guys shop?

And I love the way you extrapolate your findings to the "whole of Spain"

You can get cheap shoes at Zara, Springfield etc etc. Though personally I dont think you should scrimp on shoes, its like buying cheap tyres for your car

At the top end Spanish shoes are the best in the world. I'm a big fan of Camper. And have some handmade shoes from Menorca for special occasions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.