Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Thing in the Independent

Thing in the Independent

Old Oct 29th 2016, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to allSancho is a name known to all
Thumbs down Thing in the Independent

Has anyone here heard anything about this ?

Uproar in Spain over videos of ‘Brexit-related attacks’ in UK
Old Oct 29th 2016, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thing in the Independent

I saw the first incident reported on the Spanish tv news last week.
Old Oct 30th 2016, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

There are many comments about it on a Spanish group on Facebook that I'm a member of...not many of them were the good kind, there was much hatred towards Brits living on the coast and not bothering to learn Spanish.
It was quite chilling to see many of the things they had to say, and while it didn't make for good reading they do have a point, some Brits living here for many years can't even order a meal in Spanish.
Old Oct 30th 2016, 8:29 am
Account Closed

Tadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond repute

I think this report was before the vote
There has always been this underlying racist attitude by a minority in the UK

Same in Spain there is a minority who are racist towards non Spanish and especially the Brits

Most people in both countries are respectful and accommodating

Although against Brexit I think this will be a platform for the minority numpties to promote their childish hatred

Yes many expats in Spain fail to learn the language but if they are happy no problem

Brits arrogance abroard, their ill manners, drunkenness, aggression and bad language (I don't mean Spanish language) etc. (tourist or residents) are a far bigger problem and this is more than a minority sadly
Old Oct 30th 2016, 10:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree and mentioned on another thread that with the downfall of BNP many of those moved to support UKIP. Not all UKIP supporters are racist but those that did move from BNP etc certainly are. They now see the referendum result as legitimising their warped view. Of course racism is not solely a British thing I have a neighbour young lad who will never acknowledge me if I speak to him basic daily greetings etc. However he obviously resents foreigners in his village but that's as far as he goes not acknowledging them, never says anything nasty or threatening. I fear that if authorities are not careful in the UK this racism as a result of brexit vote will increase. If it does and like this gets in overseas news it will not help the acceptance of expats outside the UK. Reality is good and bad people everywhere and yes my neighbour is entitled to his view and not to speak to those he dislikes. But the law in any country must be used properly to stop people going further either by verbally abusing or assaulting those from other cultures. Of course many from Brexit side will say this behaviour like the falling pound has nothing to do with the result on 23 June.
Old Oct 30th 2016, 10:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tadd1966
Brits arrogance abroard, their ill manners, drunkenness, aggression and bad language (I don't mean Spanish language) etc. (tourist or residents) are a far bigger problem and this is more than a minority sadly
Sadly that is very true

Last edited by Rosemary; Oct 30th 2016 at 10:48 am. Reason: correcting quotes
Old Oct 31st 2016, 9:16 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

We went for a moening walk in the countryside around our home yesterday. The BH was concerned about the hunting gunshots we heard. We noticed a group of hunters were having a post-hunt picnic. We asked if it was safe to carry on. Yes it was .. but the highlight was that they offered us both a drink, which we enjoyed with a very broken Spanish chat - with the locals.

Such nice people and it really bugs me to hear these sorts of stories in the op

Jon
Old Nov 1st 2016, 6:19 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

I've never, ever experienced any kind of unfriendliness from any spanish person, and never, ever experienced any kind of anti-british "racism" of any kind. Never. And never heard of it.

However, we do know a few British expats who could use a lesson in what country they're living in. And anti-Spanish behaviour by visiting Brits isn't terribly uncommon. It seems one of the drawbacks to living in Spain is that there are so many foreigners, and they're too lazy to learn or speak proper English. And no HP of course.
Old Nov 1st 2016, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
I've never, ever experienced any kind of unfriendliness from any spanish person, and never, ever experienced any kind of anti-british "racism" of any kind. Never. And never heard of it.

However, we do know a few British expats who could use a lesson in what country they're living in. And anti-Spanish behaviour by visiting Brits isn't terribly uncommon. It seems one of the drawbacks to living in Spain is that there are so many foreigners, and they're too lazy to learn or speak proper English. And no HP of course.
I fully agree with all your comments ami. My oh and myself have always been made welcome.

Living in Benny of course we can get HP from anywhere

Steve