Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Thieving Movistar

Thieving Movistar

Old Apr 20th 2011, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thieving Movistar

As long as you use them before the 6 month deadline then there isnt a problem,all this came in after the bombs in Madrid.

I top up a friends phone if he isnt over within the 6 months and he doesnt have a problem, is 10 euros really worth crying about? as previous poster says, when the message comes through it does tell you the time it is valid for
Old Apr 21st 2011, 12:08 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pwwm
As long as you use them before the 6 month deadline then there isnt a problem,all this came in after the bombs in Madrid.
Therein lies the problem as I am often outside of Spain for more than six months at a time and so end up with a new number each time I return which causees quite a bit of inconvenience for my contacts.

I shall have to check up on those Orange ones if that other info is correct, firstly if the call rate is reasonable and secondly will I have a signal here at my fairly remote location

Last edited by Dick Dasterdly; Apr 21st 2011 at 12:10 am.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 1:57 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

I think I might have an ideal solution for people who rarely use their phones.

Contact Movistar from the mobile using 1004 and ask to go onto a contract - "Contracto Libre'. This contract has NO minimum monthly charge and all costs come directly from your Spanish bank account.

To summarize;
  1. No monthly contract fee
  2. No minimum spend
  3. No need to top up (ideal if you're not in Spain)
  4. MUST have a Spanish bank account though

We have done this for our children so that they have a way of contacting us in an emergency. Some months there is no deduction from our bank and other months it is a matter of cents.

Hope this helps you all.

PS - This contract is not advertised and is not available from the shops - you will need to be able to speak Spanish (or get a friend to help).
Old Apr 21st 2011, 2:19 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Before they cut you off they send a few messages to you, just switch the phone on now and again or leave it switched on
As already said you just top up and it is refunded by most suppliers, or even better, phone someone up on it once a month I am sure they would enjoy hearing you.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 3:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
I'm not quite clear on this as they normally switch off the sim, so was it the case that the sim was switched back on again with the top up, or had it not been switched off and simply didn't allow any calls till you replaced some of the money they had robbed ?
I do not use mobiles much in Spain or Uk but usually put 5 euros top up on within 6 months however I had failed top up in time this time and I was unable to make any calls although I could still receive calls. As I say I topped it up 5 euros and straight away got a message saying re instated and my 5 euros was then added to the original old balance. To be honest it's pretty good works through vodafone pretty cheap tarrif, also whats handy is you can top up from the UK via Eroski online all in English. Only thing I can fault is it won't let you send texts to UK numbers did when I first got it but then stopped allowing them? I sent a message via online customer service and they said to go to desk in store as I believe you have to alter the tariff but not sure as not been to desk yet. However as a standby system untill we move full time it works fine.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 5:01 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Before they cut you off they send a few messages to you, just switch the phone on now and again or leave it switched on
As already said you just top up and it is refunded by most suppliers, or even better, phone someone up on it once a month I am sure they would enjoy hearing you.
A bit difficult when the phones don't operate outside of Spain.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 5:05 am
On the road again.

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I think I might have an ideal solution for people who rarely use their phones.

Contact Movistar from the mobile using 1004 and ask to go onto a contract - "Contracto Libre'. This contract has NO minimum monthly charge and all costs come directly from your Spanish bank account.

To summarize;
  1. No monthly contract fee
  2. No minimum spend
  3. No need to top up (ideal if you're not in Spain)
  4. MUST have a Spanish bank account though

We have done this for our children so that they have a way of contacting us in an emergency. Some months there is no deduction from our bank and other months it is a matter of cents.

Hope this helps you all.

PS - This contract is not advertised and is not available from the shops - you will need to be able to speak Spanish (or get a friend to help).
So what are the normal call charges ?
I would bet they won't be cheap.
In any event I'm not keen on turning moviestar loose in my bank account from various reports I've heard.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 5:09 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

A bit difficult when the phones don't operate outside of Spain.
Course they work, they roam to a local network, I have a UK orange sim in my dual that goes to Movistar here and I also have a Vodafone es sim in it.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 5:30 am
On the road again.

Originally Posted by jdr
Course they work, they roam to a local network, I have a UK orange sim in my dual that goes to Movistar here and I also have a Vodafone es sim in it.
I've had several Spanish PAYG and none of them worked outside of Spain and were cut off with loss of funding after six months.
The same obviously applies to the other posters from the first page.

I have no problem operating my UK mobile in Spain,but thats a different thing altogether. I would happily continue to use that one only, if the call charges weren't so high when roaming.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

xxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nice

Originally Posted by jdr
Yoigo dont always work in the UK...
Old Apr 21st 2011, 6:29 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

I've had several Spanish PAYG and none of them worked outside of Spain and were cut off with loss of funding after six months.

I have no problem operating my UK mobile in Spain,but thats a different thing altogether. I would happily continue to use that one only, if the call charges weren't so high when roaming.
Strange how mine even worked in Mexico then.
Maybe they have not contacted the supplier to allow roaming ?
Old Apr 21st 2011, 6:32 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by xxfrecklesxx
Yoigo dont always work in the UK...
Maybe cos they are already piggy backing on another suppliers network and it won`t roam to the strongest signal.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 6:38 am
On the road again.

Originally Posted by jdr
Strange how mine even worked in Mexico then.
Maybe they have not contacted the supplier to allow roaming ?
Are you referring to a Spanish PAYG Sim ?
Old Apr 21st 2011, 6:41 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Are you referring to a Spanish PAYG Sim ?
Yes, Spanish and UK both worked in Mexico and they even use the USA band.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 7:14 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

as I said on the other thread - my OH's PAYG HITS sim works abroad

he recently used it in the Ukraine!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.