Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Is there a Spanish version of the Kennel Club?

Is there a Spanish version of the Kennel Club?

Old May 10th 2008, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

HereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really nice
Default Is there a Spanish version of the Kennel Club?

I am looking for a certain breed of dog (well if Hubby let's me haha) but will wait until in Spain before searching. Does anyone know how to check out breeders to make sure they are reputable etc? Just like the Kennel Club in the U.K.
Old May 10th 2008, 12:04 pm
Mucho Macho

XTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there a Spanish version of the Kennel Club?

Take in one of the wonderful Spanish dogs that need a good home instead! They're the most loving and grateful dogs you'll ever find.....and they really need us to help them!
Old May 10th 2008, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

HereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really nice

I hear what you are saying extreme and agree 100%. Only thing that put me off doing that is having kids...you just never know how they will be or react to a boisterous boy!
Old May 10th 2008, 12:36 pm
Mucho Macho

XTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HereKittyKitty
I hear what you are saying extreme and agree 100%. Only thing that put me off doing that is having kids...you just never know how they will be or react to a boisterous boy!
Spanish dogs are by nature very gentle and loving.....aggression in dogs is literally unknown here. Probably been beaten out of them over the generations.
And as for a specific breed, there's no guarantee that any particular example of that breed will have all the characteristics necessary for coping with children.
Old May 10th 2008, 1:09 pm

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by HereKittyKitty

Kitty

We came to Spain some three years ago and intended to get some form of mastiff after we had spent a good while taking the train and driving around Spain. However We didn't manage any traveling as within weeks we had taken in a female Spanish pointer who had been left for dead by hunters at the end of the season she was very thin and had a badly cut leg and had recently had pups. We nursed her and got her vet shots, a few weeks later a big black Lab was left at the local through road and we took her in.. However now 2 years later both are in tip top condition,micro chipped and are very happy together and are part of our family. We have grand children twin boys age 3 who live a few miles away and the dogs are so gentle with them and put up with being pushed aside when in the way of their toys, They go to the beach or across my land everyday and have met other dogs of all shapes and sizes and have shown no aggression, what has been said about these Spanish dogs is so true they are treated here as a tool and are used as such and in the main have little human
interaction which they crave, In the towns the little dogs women carry are looked after but outside at the end of the hunting season the surplus are thrown out they do not even have the guts to shoot them. Kitty please wait and you will see a dog will find you and they will love you for it Try to give one of these dogs a home you will have no trouble with being bitten etc...... now cushions thats another matter :curse:

Last edited by poshnbucks; May 10th 2008 at 1:13 pm.
Old May 10th 2008, 1:18 pm
Mucho Macho

I don't know if any of you with Spanish dogs have noticed this.....but they seem to get very unsettled when they hear Spanish voices!
Old May 10th 2008, 1:51 pm

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by XTreme
I don't know if any of you with Spanish dogs have noticed this.....but they seem to get very unsettled when they hear Spanish voices!
They will be OK at our house then
Old May 10th 2008, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

Understand your concerns re: children - however the local vets and organisations such as Action for Animals will know of plenty of rescued strays who are suitable for a young family.

Our Spanish vet found us a lovely puppy which had been mis-treated and abandoned by the roadside, and he is probably going to grow to the size of 'Beethoven'!! Absolutely incredibly sweet natured, great with the children (despite his poor start to life), and has far more road sense and is better off-lead than the dog we bought over from the UK.

It's easy to see that these dogs just want a loving home - and believe me they are grateful and faithful companions when you take one on.
Old May 10th 2008, 2:14 pm
Mucho Macho

And for the benefit of anybody who missed the original thread.....I just happen to have three ready to go at the moment!

Two boys....one girl....and wherever you are in Spain we'll get them to you! Even if I have to carry them there myself!
Old May 10th 2008, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for your replies. You have given me food for thought certainly.
I can't bear the thought of cruelty to defenceless animals. Last week there was a case on local TV of a female (for want of a better word) who shut her white alsation in a room and left her to die from starvation and thirst. The TV showed the poor animal just lying there. What a horrible feeling that leaves you with. She is being sentenced soon and I pray she goes to jail.
How could anyone do that?

Anyway thanks again....we'll see what happens in the future. The breed I am after I have hankered over for many years and would certainly make me feel secure on my own due to it's sheer size. Won't bother to mention as I can just imagine the replies now!!!

Extreme are those really your dogs? Do you run a rescue centre?
Old May 10th 2008, 3:12 pm
Mucho Macho

No....they're not my dogs....and I don't run a rescue centre. Though it feels like I do sometimes!

As for the breed you were thinking of....if it was a Rotty....don't bother. We've got 2 Brit ones from German bloodlines (10 and 8) and they're as they should be.
Every Spanish Rotty I've seen does not fit the breed criteria in any way, and the older ones all seem to suffer from hip dysplasia. I'd be very suspicious about getting one here.
Old May 10th 2008, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

it's not a rottweiller extreme.
Old May 10th 2008, 3:31 pm
I believe.

Grebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by XTreme
Take in one of the wonderful Spanish dogs that need a good home instead! They're the most loving and grateful dogs you'll ever find.....and they really need us to help them!

We adopted a 4 week old pup.

We weren't really bothered what size it grew into as long as it started out small so our moggy would except it.
She has grown into the best behaved & lovable doogle that either of us has had the pleasure to know.
She travels fantastically,
And we recently took her to the UK where she took part in our wedding
Old May 11th 2008, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

xxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nicexxfrecklesxx is just really nice

HI,

we ended up with a dog from the UK and a spanish one, we bought over a Sheltie puppy, (whos now 4) and who has so far broke a front leg (badly) she fell/slipped, was pushed by a cat down some steps, and recently broke 7 ribs!! we think one of the horses kicked her,

And then we decided to get a Spanish Mastiff, I googled them, and found a few breeders in Spain, one thing i would watch is things like breed problems, Mastiff suffer from hip problems, and we found out to our cost that they are not hip scored here like in the UK (well some are) and ours developed bad hip dysplacier at only a year old, and had to have major surgury.
Old May 11th 2008, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

Palmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Grebo

We adopted a 4 week old pup.

We just have too!!!

She gets on great with our other spanish adopted dog (just found wandering along the track at 8weeks old, all skin and bones)!

And to the person who said about spanish dogs reacting badly to spanish voices.....that is so true in our case! If our dog hears even "Hola" he starts howling and howling....

My advice? Same as the other posters who live here. Definitely adopt one. There are many in need of good homes, even huskies, samoyeds etc, as people buy them, then realise they´re too big/noisy/dirty, whatever and give them up!

Go on, give a dog a home!

Last edited by Palmera; May 11th 2008 at 12:31 pm. Reason: trying to make picture smaller..to no avail-sorry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.