Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Are there shops in Gibraltar where I can buy Microwaves sold in the UK ?

Are there shops in Gibraltar where I can buy Microwaves sold in the UK ?

Old Jun 12th 2012, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

robt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant future
Default Are there shops in Gibraltar where I can buy Microwaves sold in the UK ?

Hi, Having some difficulty finding a particular microwave in Spain .

A customer ordered from Amazon.es CT-552WBPQ and instead received the CT-559WBPQ. Seems that she didn`t get the right one.

What confused her is that the micro she received came direct from the UK. Had it`s 3 pin plug and English manual.

When I contact Amazon.uk they say the micro I want can not be shipped to Spain as it`s too bulky. Rubbish, so why did that customer get her micro shipped from the UK.

So, my question is, being so near Gibraltar do they have shops , because I just come up blank . Are there any Argos, Marks&Spencer etc where I could find this Microwave - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-NN.../dp/B003DNSA26

Thanks.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 9:54 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are there shops in Gibraltar where I can buy Microwaves sold in the UK ?

I think you may have fallen foul of Amazon's strange "marketplace" system.

Many of the goods on their website are supplied by third party companies, not direct from Amazon. These companies may choose not to ship to Spain or to do so at an expensive delivery rate.

Goods ordered and supplied direct by Amazon are post free to Spain if over £25.

I have just looked at a couple of similar microwaves on the Amazon UK site which are supplied by Amazon and they are quite happy to ship to Spain free.

Here's one example http://goo.gl/sShWi

The link you gave is for an item not supplied by Amazon.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 11:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are there shops in Gibraltar where I can buy Microwaves sold in the UK ?

Originally Posted by robt23

Are there any Argos, Marks&Spencer
Thanks.
Argos Gib / Shop Direct tel. Gib 20071076 is a transport company bringing in Argos products at a PRICE however I would think there future is limited with Argos now delivering items free to Spain

Marks & Sparks ( York Ltd ) tel. Gib 20075857, I personally have never seen any electrical items there.

Argos Gib also had a warehouse in La Linea for Spanish deliveries.

Last edited by Fredbargate; Jun 12th 2012 at 11:15 am. Reason: Last line added
Old Jun 12th 2012, 11:27 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

both models seem the same, same basic specn, capacity etc, just some minor differences on the outside
a search on the panasonic website doesnt bring up the 552 model, just different model variants.

is this another case of the "numbers game" where different retailers have a single digit difference in the model number, so they can say their price cannot be beaten on that model no ??
Dixons, Currys and Argos used to be very good at that.

if they couldnt supply the model number listed then they should have contacted and said so, offering the alternative. EU consumer law now applies, although they will try to hide behind the plastic fencing around the UK.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

robt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant future

I have just looked at a couple of similar microwaves on the Amazon UK site which are supplied by Amazon and they are quite happy to ship to Spain free.

The link you gave is for an item not supplied by Amazon.
just checked your link out Fred, seems that model is also on the no ship. Tried going through the system and it blocks me .

I have also tried other micros on Amazon but they direct me to Amazon.es. In any case , I am looking for the model I want, which did what my old Panasonic did 25 years ago.

What can that be ? Yes, you might be asking that question -simple. This micro has an Auto feature . i.e put the pizza in - press pizza and away you go . No having to input weight. The micro weighs the food and has a steam sensor. See the difference.

Domino , the 2 micros might look the same but the one Fred linked me to doesn`t have that important feature.

In any case I will follow up Fredbargate on the Gibralter stance -

Argos Gib / Shop Direct tel. Gib 20071076 is a transport company bringing in Argos products at a PRICE however I would think there future is limited with Argos now delivering items free to Spain

Marks & Sparks ( York Ltd ) tel. Gib 20075857, I personally have never seen any electrical items there.

Argos Gib also had a warehouse in La Linea for Spanish deliveries.
These sellers are very ambiguous .
Old Jun 12th 2012, 12:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

???????
Old Jun 12th 2012, 1:09 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

just checked your link out Fred, seems that model is also on the no ship. Tried going through the system and it blocks me
It worked for me - I went all the way to the checkout with no problems. I wouldn't have posted if I wasn't sure.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 1:15 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

just checked your link out Fred, seems that model is also on the no ship. Tried going through the system and it blocks me .

I have also tried other micros on Amazon but they direct me to Amazon.es. In any case , I am looking for the model I want, which did what my old Panasonic did 25 years ago.

What can that be ? Yes, you might be asking that question -simple. This micro has an Auto feature . i.e put the pizza in - press pizza and away you go . No having to input weight. The micro weighs the food and has a steam sensor. See the difference.

Domino , the 2 micros might look the same but the one Fred linked me to doesn`t have that important feature.

Rbt, my comment was based on your original email quoting
NN-CT-552WBPQ and NN-CT-559WBPQ (the NN- is the prefix given autormatically by the Panasonic website)

You have to be very careful with the Amazon website, they only ship to Spain if it is a "sold by Amazon" product with the free delivery option in the UK.
I tried to order a quantity of a small beauty item for the BH, they have a stop on the max of 5 units (which meant no free delivery). But allowed me to buy 10 of the larger size with no restriction. So I ordered the larger size and delivery was 4 days - excellent service.

I think someone has been conned on this, but proving at a distance is difficult, but Distance Selling on the Internet is an EU law, not just the UK.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Domino

You have to be very careful with the Amazon website, they only ship to Spain if it is a "sold by Amazon" product with the free delivery option in the UK.

I think someone has been conned on this, but proving at a distance is difficult, but Distance Selling on the Internet is an EU law, not just the UK.
Too right on that...and Fred , yes you are correct ,I just tried to go through with that link and , it does work. Damn shame I can`t get the micro I want.

I am going to try Gibraltar right now. Will let you all know what happened.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

Been on the dog and bone a dozen times to Argos in Gibraltar - always engaged. I think I`ll give that one a miss thanks to Fredbargate for the lead though.

I have been looking over the link below and I really like that microwave. Has some good press too ! It`s not auto as in put pizza in, press pizza button and forget about it. It does however, have the pizza button which the other micro I was originally interested in didn`t. I like my pizza`s and Roast Chicken.

Originally Posted by Fred James
Only problem now is the payment . I usually pay by Cash-on-Delivery or Bank transfer and Amazon seems like they don`t have that option. I don`t use credit cards.

So, it seems I¨m stuck . Wonder if Fred can find some magic and source out that micro here in Spain or someone willing to except Cash-on-Delivery ( Re-embolso ).

Thanks anyway.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

I think I have found the micro I`m after - It`s practically the same as your link Fred , only it`s touch-pad, brilliant ! Price is steep but it looks great and the company does " Transferencia Bancaria" , which is OK. I would have preferred Cash-on-Delivery though.

Still, it`s the only place out here with those compact measurements.

http://www.geezbuy.es/product.php?id_product=100412510

You can view it better at Comet.

http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Combination...crowave/242458

Click on the image and you get a great Zoom and if you really want to zoom in just click again and perfect.

See what happens.

Last edited by robt23; Jun 12th 2012 at 8:07 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 7:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi robt23
I rang Argos Gib this morning they are still in business and also do Tesco products.

With reference to the Geezbuy / Comet prices they must be working on the soon to be exchange rate of 1.775 €s to the £
Old Jun 13th 2012, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Hi robt23
I rang Argos Gib this morning they are still in business and also do Tesco products.

With reference to the Geezbuy / Comet prices they must be working on the soon to be exchange rate of 1.775 €s to the £
Fred, as I am sure you are aware, prices in €'s are nearly always much much higher than the £ eqvt in many shops, especially online.

BHS dual label their products in the UK and instead of around 20% you will find it is around 30-35%.
Boots have an extra markup
BodyShop have an extra markup

when wanting to buy christmas presents I considered buying in €'s (+delvy) but got things ordered on the UK websites with free delivery at much lower prices.

Did the EU ever exist for UK companies?
And the Alliance part of Boots has a much larger turnover than the UK (albeit owned by America's KKR)
Old Jun 28th 2012, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

Hi all,

This is an update on the microwave that I ordered :

http://www.geezbuy.es/product.php?id_product=100412510

This Geezbuy.es really is pathetic to say the least. Rubbish customer service, can only contact them by a web chat !!

When you want something confirmed you have to pound them again and again with E-mails.

They came up with a lame excuse today that the messenger put a heavy load on top of the microwave and of course they can`t deliver something that`s in ruins can they.

This could all be genuine , however, I just don`t believe them.

I made an ` ingreso bancario ` last Thursday which they said they never received. Course they wanted proof of this so I had to scan the document. I don`t have a scanner so next day went to the local web cafe.

E-mailed it to them and bingo , the accepted it. However, all labouring from there. I really don`t think these guys have the microwave - Why ? Probably because it has a British 3 pin plug on it. If they do have it , it`s probably trashed somehow , which is where they came up with that crapy explanation.

I put my heart in the microwave as the measurements and the specs were exactly what I was after.

Damn, the buggers got me !!

Shouting out loud from the roof top "Don`t buy from Geezbuy.es"

Last edited by robt23; Jun 28th 2012 at 12:46 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

EllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond repute

disgraceful when those sort of web sites operate without giving out contact details and hiding behind a registration in the name of his graphic designer.

You know what I would do...moan to the owner of the business, the faceless fella behind that web chat

Fortunately people like him leave trails and Snr Ruben Canteli Lopez also owns redesmovil.com and uses the email address he registered that with on facebook. Therefore if you cannot get hold of him on 985717256 then send him a message to his facebook account

https://www.facebook.com/ruben.canteli.3

hope you see your microwave soon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.