Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Is there no good news in Spain....or....

Is there no good news in Spain....or....

Old Jul 25th 2012, 6:05 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is there no good news in Spain....or....

Is there no good news in Spain....or....is Steviedeluxe just having a break?

It could be either one, but I was beginning to wonder if Spain is totally doomed, no good news on the horizon, no business opportunities, less than zero jobs, because Stevie can alway google up "optimism" always found the silver lining in Spains clouds.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 6:34 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there no good news in Spain....or....

Originally Posted by JLFS

It could be either one, but I was beginning to wonder if Spain is totally doomed, no good news on the horizon, no business opportunities, less than zero jobs, because Stevie can alway google up "optimism" always found the silver lining in Spains clouds.
I don't see the economic struggles Spain is going through as doom and gloom. Its no secret that I wanted this recession to hurt people in such a way that it stops back all the crap we have been obsessed with for so long, the mass consumerism that sees us value shit like Primark clothes and no end of Chinese filth that rolls off the production line, designed to last 6 months before we are forced to return and buy yet more. We had become weapons of massive consumption, killing the small and quality in return for the big and throw away. It didn't work, we will come out of this recession with an even greater hunger and we will feed our fat desires until the next recession and it will all begin again, over and over, never learning....... cheered up yet? No? Stick with me.
It would be nice to think that the Spanish, traditionally much more politicised than us here in the UK will emerge from this with a bit more fire in their bellies. It certainly looks that way, the protests are much more committed than the limp wristed crap we had over students having to pay their own way and stop spunking money in the student bars than we had here in London and who knows what will emerge from a slimmer, trimmer Spain? Who knows what political fire is building in someones belly, maybe Spain will focus more on its infrastructure rather than simply building houses to make money, maybe they will force more of their wealthy to pay their way, chase up hidden taxes and eradicate corruption. Maybe Spain will lead the way in Europe, if it can take hold of its banks, maybe nationalising all of them they can show the rest of Europe how an economy can be run because away from the filthy mess of the Banking industry in Spain it can actually run a healthy, "in the black" economy, much better than almost all the other countries in Europe........ Or maybe it will do like the rest of us and just carry on regardless.... who knows?
Old Jul 25th 2012, 6:51 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I don't see the economic struggles Spain is going through as doom and gloom. Its no secret that I wanted this recession to hurt people in such a way that it stops back all the crap we have been obsessed with for so long, the mass consumerism that sees us value shit like Primark clothes and no end of Chinese filth that rolls off the production line, designed to last 6 months before we are forced to return and buy yet more. We had become weapons of massive consumption, killing the small and quality in return for the big and throw away. It didn't work, we will come out of this recession with an even greater hunger and we will feed our fat desires until the next recession and it will all begin again, over and over, never learning....... cheered up yet? No? Stick with me.
It would be nice to think that the Spanish, traditionally much more politicised than us here in the UK will emerge from this with a bit more fire in their bellies. It certainly looks that way, the protests are much more committed than the limp wristed crap we had over students having to pay their own way and stop spunking money in the student bars than we had here in London and who knows what will emerge from a slimmer, trimmer Spain? Who knows what political fire is building in someones belly, maybe Spain will focus more on its infrastructure rather than simply building houses to make money, maybe they will force more of their wealthy to pay their way, chase up hidden taxes and eradicate corruption. Maybe Spain will lead the way in Europe, if it can take hold of its banks, maybe nationalising all of them they can show the rest of Europe how an economy can be run because away from the filthy mess of the Banking industry in Spain it can actually run a healthy, "in the black" economy, much better than almost all the other countries in Europe........ Or maybe it will do like the rest of us and just carry on regardless.... who knows?
You must be joking, speaking yesterday with a friend of the maridas who works in the tax office, dealing with the "medium" sized fraud cases, she said that even when things come to light, it is all down to negociation how much the individual has to pay back....if any at all.

Meetings are held, offers are made and rejected, level of fines discussed between officals and dodgers.

With the result usually being a "bigger" fine and less repayment, which looks good to the general public, when for the public coffers the opposite would make more economic sense, but........we all know how it works.

Of course all the palms involved have to be greased.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 6:54 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

You must be joking, speaking yesterday with a friend of the maridas who works in the tax office, dealing with the "medium" sized fraud cases, she said that even when things come to light, it is all down to negociation how much the individual has to pay back....if any at all.

Meetings are held, offers are made and rejected, level of fines discussed between officals and dodgers.

With the result usually being a "bigger" fine and less repayment, which looks good to the general public, when for the public coffers the opposite would make more economic sense, but........we all know how it works.

Of course all the palms involved have to be greased.
I did say maybe......

Its sad, like here in the UK I think the opportunity has passed, although it looks like Ireland is doing something, yet more bankers arrested yesterday. Happy days!
Old Jul 25th 2012, 7:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Give him time, he's busy googling at the moment, good news is harder to find nowadays, but don't despair, he'll find some for you. Given all the good news he gave us in the past, business booming, jobs galore, I'm at a loss to understand how Spain is on the bones of it's ar$e and so many are unemployed. Perhaps Spain will win the Olmpic's football.
Just reading Montoro, says 2013 will be a difficult year but it will be the last year of the recession!

Last edited by agoreira; Jul 25th 2012 at 7:45 am.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 7:52 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

I think the good news is there JL, just it never gets printed.
Bad news sells newpapers etc, sends people into a spin and they don't see all the other news on the way past.
There are more pundits for bad news than good news, all trying to put a personal slant on it. With good news you don't need pundits, no need for a personal slant.
I remember saying some time ago, Rajoy should have a dept of media people who announce 2 or even 3 items of good news for every bad item, using larger headlines.

but thats people for you, even BE seems to have more bad news than good news
Old Jul 25th 2012, 7:58 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Give him time, he's busy googling at the moment, good news is harder to find nowadays, but don't despair, he'll find some for you. Given all the good news he gave us in the past, business booming, jobs galore, I'm at a loss to understand how Spain is on the bones of it's ar$e and so many are unemployed. Perhaps Spain will win the Olmpic's football.
Of course there is no problem in the UK (agro's constant message UK good Spain bad), no youth unemployment, no double dip recession, no bank libor or laundering corruption, everything superb - allows Agro to come here to gloat over what he sees as an inferior country and people..

As for good news, I'm afraid you won't get much from me for a while, because I have a family funeral to see to.

But if you want positive developments from the private sector (and there are plenty) you can look at the following websites and aggregation sources. A bit more sensible than blindly going through millions of google results

On Twitter @EduGonzalezL (Madrid foreign investment) or @pierrewaters (Anglo-French entrepreneur in Madrid)
Recently bought these snippets:
French Showroomprive to open office in Madrid http://ict.seenews.com/news/french-s...n-madrid-82041
French gas supplier Air Liquide acquires Madrid-based Gasmedi http://www.airliquide.com/en/press/p...-in-spain.html

Or perhaps monitor Spanish rail sales here: http://www.spanishrailwaysnews.com/principal.asp?cs=1 and find stories like these recent ones:
assignia Infrastructures to help with construction of Morrocan high speed line http://www.spanishrailwaysnews.com/n...ot=252&cs=spai
Railway exports up by 26% in 2011 http://www.spanishrailwaysnews.com/n...ot=251&cs=spai
Assignia wins a Railway contract in India http://www.spaintechnology.com/icex/...605161,00.html
-- always worth looking at Spaintechnology.com for stories like this - Spanish 3D conquers movie mecca http://www.spaintechnology.com/icex/...602998,00.html

Of course you could follow positive news from the start-up scene. Although a site like loogic.com (in Spanish) is better for more up-to-date stuff, you can follow the previous month's developments here http://startupspain.com/category/sta...onth-in-spain/ For example in May/June - http://startupspain.com/last-month-or-two-in-spain/
And now one more step up to the heavy-hitters of the last two months: companies that have raised more than 1 million €. The first mention is for Adtriboo, the creative crowd-sourcing site who raised 1 million € at the end of June from a collection of directors at big name companies including Jose Maria Dot from Liberty Seguros, Javier Juanco, former Director of Quality and Commercial Development at Telefonica, and many more. And second, we´ve got Yuilop – who we interviewed just a short bit ago here on StartupSpain – who had a huge series A funding round, coming away with 4.5 million € from Shortcut, Bright Capital, Bruno Ducharme and Nauta Capital. Yuilop, who provides mobile messaging/calling services, plans to use the newly raised capital to expand internationally and further expand their solutions.
Start-ups that will really succeed on the world stage include Gamisfaction, BrainSins, Zyncro, Tuenti, Favmonster, Akamon and Sezion.

Lastly, keep a look out for various Spanish companies that are doing well and will hopefully continue to hire more people - Inditex, Mango, Mercadonna, Freixenet, Bodegas Torres, Group Restalia (100 Montaditos) etc Don't rule out Telefonica from making a strong surge either. The gloomsters will look at their past performance and current need to sell off non-core parts, but their turn-around in tech areas has been astounding and is getting noticed by savvy commentators. Look up Wayra, M2M, openwebdevice and TefDigital to see where the future belongs.

Of course things would be better if Spain adopted an independent currency and sorted out its over-indebted public sector, but that is down to the politicians. One thing you should note is that exports have performed well in recent years - not bad for the allegedly uncompetitive country! A balanced view of economic matters (you generally get the poor public sector and banking news here, as well as more positive stories from the private sector) http://www.thecorner.eu/
Old Jul 25th 2012, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

I also hoped that this crisis would make us think again about what kind of world we want and what kind of political/economic system we want.

But it hasn't. The politicians are either too scared of the unknown or - more likely - have vested insterests in maintaining the status quo. So while we can find money to rescue the banks, it's the poor that pay.

They talk about finding a solution to the crisis, but their solution won't be my solution - just look at Greece. Their solution will be reducing national debt and budget deficits, even if that means tens or hundreds of thousands of people living in poverty or on the streets with no access to health and welfare.

For them, this crisis is an opportunity.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 8:05 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I've got some good news for Spain and I haven't googled a thing today (apart from the exchange rate).

The people of Spain are going to take a month's holiday in August.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
The people of Spain are going to take a month's holiday in August.
Those that are working, anyway
Old Jul 25th 2012, 8:18 am
Banned

Originally Posted by rachelk
Those that are working, anyway
And for the others it is the usual......

garlic and water

AJOder y AGUAntar
Old Jul 25th 2012, 8:56 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you always keep quoting the corner website? A lot of stuff on it is crap and seems to be run by a few spaniards whose aim is to bump up Spain Another one of those sites seems to be run by a Brit

Every country in the world will have start ups happening all the time...even greece
Old Jul 25th 2012, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Why do you always keep quoting the corner website? A lot of stuff on it is crap and seems to be run by a few spaniards whose aim is to bump up Spain Another one of those sites seems to be run by a Brit

Every country in the world will have start ups happening all the time...even greece
I'm a fan of Steviedeluxes optimism. However, a lot of the links and stuff are just spam

A bit like those hundreds of IT jobs advertised in Madrid. How many actually exist? Many are posted by recruitment agencies trying to get people on their books
Old Jul 25th 2012, 9:42 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rachelk
I also hoped that this crisis would make us think again about what kind of world we want and what kind of political/economic system we want.

But it hasn't. The politicians are either too scared of the unknown or - more likely - have vested insterests in maintaining the status quo. So while we can find money to rescue the banks, it's the poor that pay.

They talk about finding a solution to the crisis, but their solution won't be my solution - just look at Greece. Their solution will be reducing national debt and budget deficits, even if that means tens or hundreds of thousands of people living in poverty or on the streets with no access to health and welfare.

For them, this crisis is an opportunity.
The Greeks are paying for fear of losing the Euro. If the Greeks leave, there would likely be a mass exodus, and that, as stated by so many high ranking officials, will not be allowed to happen, at any cost, even if Greece is to be sentenced to poverty for the next 20 years. There is simply too much invested in it to allow it to fail.

Spain is next. we are already well on our way. The banks know it, the markets know it. The exodus of cash has already begun, and the prospects for recovery are pretty dim.

Even scarier, the prospect that in the likelihood things get a lot worse, historically, harshly burdened populations often revolt and adopt extreme socialist ideologies, which would effectively plunge Spain back into the dark ages for the foreseeable future. In the worst possible case, we could end up a bit like many south american states. Corrupt and impoverished. Only two social classes: Rich and poor.

The money is already leaving:

Spain reveals €100 billion in capital flight

Another scary capital flight chart

Euro banks cut holdings and buy dollars

Last edited by amideislas; Jul 25th 2012 at 9:55 am.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 10:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas

In the worst possible case, we could end up a bit like many south american states. Corrupt and impoverished. Only two social classes: Rich and poor.
Like the US you mean? Do some reading about the decline of the US middle classes over the past 40 years

Yes this is the consequence of a liberal free market economy. It is currently happening in the UK and in Europe also

You either make stuff and are poor, or invent the money to make stuff, and are rich

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.