Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

is there a call for barbers and hairdressers in alicante provence.

is there a call for barbers and hairdressers in alicante provence.

Old Jan 28th 2007, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

davyrowy is on a distinguished road
Default is there a call for barbers and hairdressers in alicante provence.

hi everyone i am nvq2 fully qualified in hairdressing and barbering , is there much need for these in spain ,or is the local market in your area saturated already. i was thinking of setting up a small salon in alicante area.
replies would be gratefully appreciated.
Old Jan 28th 2007, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is there a call for barbers and hairdressers in alicante provence.

I think you need to be a bit more specific on the area you are looking at but I would suggest you go mobile

The prices in Spanish salons are not too bad so even with basic Spanish you can manage a hair cut and colour

Good luck to you though, I wish I had stuck with the hairdressing when I was 16 !!!! would of given me something to fall back on

Old Jan 28th 2007, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

mrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond repute

Agree,do not know about the Alicante area, but, our daughter is a hairdresser and does mobile hairdressing in our community, fits in well as she has a baby, and she does it when and where she wants. Salons do not pay good wages, mostly commission only.The English people in this area seem to prefer English hairdressers, and also prefer the hairdresser going to the home, they do not seem to like going to the bigger salons, especially the retired people. There is a market for mobile hairdressers, good luck.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Danemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the rough

You would have to be very competetive to compete with the local barbers. In our village (nr Gandia) you can get a wash, but and blow dry (male) for under 10 euros!

HOWEVER... I would give my eye teeth to have my highlights done UK style (ie where you have Goldwell colours to choose from, not just the straw shade bleached effect) and done properly... where each section is then weaved so that it blends into the remaining hair nicely. Over here the Spanish hairdressers just take clumps of hair every so often and bleach it. The effect: a zebra effect in a horrid, almost white shade of blonde. Very straw-looking and very stripey. I have to wait until I go back to the UK to have mine done in copper and my chosen shade of blonde! Although I speak fluent Spanish and have explained to them time and time again how to do it properly they aren´t taught like it so obviously their attitude is "I´m the hairdresser"...

So, mobile might well be a good idea.. advertise loads and build up a good clientelle. You will probably find most Britsh ladies would be glad of an English speaking hairdresser although there will be plenty in some areas such as Javea and Moraira anyway so you need to go to other areas.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Ive got a number of a mobile hairdresser from Xativa way, if you want to PM me for it - AND she does copper/brown shades and she comes to Gandia
Old Jan 29th 2007, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

Danemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the roughDanemad is a jewel in the rough

Hi,
I´ve just PM´d you... thank you.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

davyrowy is on a distinguished road

thanks very much for the replies ladies,i thought mobile might be the answer to start with , until i build the clientele thanks again.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 7:09 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davyrowy
thanks very much for the replies ladies,i thought mobile might be the answer to start with , until i build the clientele thanks again.
Quite a fge mobile hairdressers here on teh Costa Blanca South, aminly serving the expats, but I'm sure that if you get started with a few in your locality, get a few adverts out, then you will soon begin to build up a client base, then word of mouth will do the rest.