Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Are there any social welfare helps in Spain?

Are there any social welfare helps in Spain?

Old Aug 7th 2012, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

LeavingtheUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are there any social welfare helps in Spain?

At all?
Old Aug 7th 2012, 7:44 pm
Banned

lokalokaloka is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Are there any social welfare helps in Spain?

After paying into it for 2 years I believe.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 8:06 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

and then it runs out after 2 years
Old Aug 7th 2012, 8:08 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LeavingtheUK
At all?
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

I noticed that you have asked about Canada too and to be perfectly honest with you if you do not have work to come to in Spain and have responsibilities such as children I would be the last person to encourage you to come here. Spain is not a haven if you do not have an income, the Spanish people rely on family not the government when in crisis. I know of families who are all living off of one persons pension because there is no work. Think very lon and hard as to whether you can be totally self sufficient if you moved here because the state does not help in the same way as they do in the UK.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Aug 7th 2012, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

It seems Spain does not have enough money to look after its own people, doubt it will hand out to non spanish who have not contributed to the system. I have absolutely no knowledge of benefits here nor in UK.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 8:38 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

At all?
Are you planning to come to Spain and claim benefits?...........
Old Aug 7th 2012, 8:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

At all?
Maximum amount of unemployment benefit is for 2 years if you have worked for at least 5 years. If you have worked 2 years then you get 6 months. At the moment households who have no family members working get a payment of 450 euros, this is an emergency measure due to the high unemployment rates

Unemployment benefit tends to be higher than in the UK, but is limited.

Every family with children gets 100 euros child benefit per month per child plus around another 1000 euros per year in tax benefits per child

People on low incomes get subsidised rent, school materials, uni fees etc, but no one gets any cash for housing benfit etc

So as you see there are plenty of benefits in Spain. It is just that coming from the UK, it feels like there arent any because the UK is so generous.

And all of the above benefits depend on you having an employment record. Those who have never worked on a legal contract get nothing.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 8:43 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

At all?
Do you deserve any?

I'm getting a good paro payment but......I've paid in a good amount.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

uk1357 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cricketman
Maximum amount of unemployment benefit is for 2 years if you have worked for at least 5 years. If you have worked 2 years then you get 6 months. At the moment households who have no family members working get a payment of 450 euros, this is an emergency measure due to the high unemployment rates

Every family with children gets 100 euros child benefit per month per child plus around another 1000 euros per year in tax benefits per child

People on low incomes get subsidised rent, school materials, uni fees etc, but no one gets any cash for housing benfit etc

So as you see there are plenty of benefits in Spain. It is just that coming from the UK, it feels like there arent any because the UK is so generous.

And all of the above benefits depend on you having an employment record. Those who have never worked on a legal contract get nothing.

seems fair enough to me
Old Aug 7th 2012, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk1357
[/B]
seems fair enough to me
If Spain was a land of plentiful jobs then I would agree with you
Old Aug 7th 2012, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

Tambo has a brilliant futureTambo has a brilliant futureTambo has a brilliant futureTambo has a brilliant futureTambo has a brilliant futureTambo has a brilliant future

Do families get the child benefit ?

Even if they have not paid in?
Old Aug 7th 2012, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

It never fails to amaze me that people complain bitterly about immigrants claiming benefits in the UK that they have not contributed to but then expect to come to Spain with no job and no prospects and try to claim here.

Thank goodness the Spanish government have more sense than to fall for that one.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 12:20 am
BE Enthusiast

TheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond repute

Changing due to reforms currently.

As a resident from the UK you are only entitled to benefits after working for 1 year. After the first year of working and paying into the system, you may qualify for the minimum benefit if you lose your job. As I understand it for a single person with no dependants this is currently a monthly payment of €300 to cover everything inclusive of rent if you are renting.

Not something I would ever want to rely on here in Spain, or in the UK, but I understand that other EU countries have reciprocal agreements with the UK. You would probably be better off moving to Germany, or Ireland where it is much more expensive to live. And, wetter. And, not as much fun. And, more like England, or Wales, or Scotland, or NI. And, with a higher crime level. Better chance of work mind if you actually want to work.´

Last edited by TheLostPhotographer; Aug 8th 2012 at 12:25 am.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 5:16 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

no-one received the subsidy for school books in my area last year - the money wasn't there

they have been told to re-apply & might get it now instead - & apply seperately for this year's

which I dare say they they might get next year now

Last edited by lynnxa; Aug 8th 2012 at 6:21 am.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 6:11 am
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

You're entitled (but not guarenteed to get) to 4 months paro for every year worked, my payment is €1080 per month.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.