Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

ARE THERE ANY HAIRDRESSING JOBS IN SPAIN?

ARE THERE ANY HAIRDRESSING JOBS IN SPAIN?

Old Mar 2nd 2009, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

jenniferb6820 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ARE THERE ANY HAIRDRESSING JOBS IN SPAIN?

Hi peeps,

I posted a question on another thread but this is more on the topic of what im asking about, well Im 20 years old and nearly qualified as a hairdresser, I am looking to work abroad particularly in spain this year or next and I was just wondering if there are many hairdressing jobs out there? Does anyone know if hairdressers are in demand in spain, as much as they are in places like Oz or New zealand? I have read on previous posts about there being a shortage of jobs in spain at the moment....so Im thinking of putting it off for maybe another year or so because of this. Can anyone help me please? Any useful websites etc?

Any information would be much appreciated, like I have said in my previous post I am desperate to work abroad!!! : ) Thankyou!!
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ARE THERE ANY HAIRDRESSING JOBS IN SPAIN?

if you move to an expat you may have half a chance but there will be a lot of competition
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

mrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of jobs for hairdressers advertised in free papers along the coast, seems not a week goes by when an add is not in them, BUT, what they will not mention is mostly they are commission only, so, you would not earn much,plus, they expect you to pay your own insurance stamp etc., so not really worth it.

Sorry to sound so negative, good luck whatever you decide.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 9:16 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

I'm on the Costa de la Luz and I think a hairdresser is proobably the last thing needed here, there are plenty of Spanish hairdressers and quite a few British ones as well. It is very hard to get established here and you would have to be legal and pay tax which I think has gone up to a minimum payment of 275 per month.

This it is not to say that you won't get a job but you really will need to speak Spanish if you want to successed.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 8:37 am
Just Joined

Ok Thankyou, Ive been reading lots of other posts regarding jobs in spain and alot of people mentioned how at the moment its so hard to get a job out there.

I suppose I was hoping that having a trade might help me but as you've mentioned there doesnt seem to be a lack of hairdressers in spain.

I know In Oz and New zealand they are crying out for hairdressers but I didnt really want to go that far just yet with me being quite young and also the process takes quite a while to sort out etc, I was looking for somewhere like spain or the canary Islands, maybe Italy I dont really know!

I'll continue to do a load more research on places where it might be abit easier to get a job as a hairdresser abroad, Im hoping to find somewhere hot but thats also not too far away from home Thanks for your replies, they've been useful!!!
Old May 10th 2009, 8:56 pm
Banned

mehmet69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Re: ARE THERE ANY HAIRDRESSING JOBS IN SPAIN?

Originally Posted by jenniferb6820
Ok Thankyou, Ive been reading lots of other posts regarding jobs in spain and alot of people mentioned how at the moment its so hard to get a job out there.

I suppose I was hoping that having a trade might help me but as you've mentioned there doesnt seem to be a lack of hairdressers in spain.

I know In Oz and New zealand they are crying out for hairdressers but I didnt really want to go that far just yet with me being quite young and also the process takes quite a while to sort out etc, I was looking for somewhere like spain or the canary Islands, maybe Italy I dont really know!

I'll continue to do a load more research on places where it might be abit easier to get a job as a hairdresser abroad, Im hoping to find somewhere hot but thats also not too far away from home Thanks for your replies, they've been useful!!!

hi jennifer, i am a new member and noticed your message, i am a barber and looking to move abroad and open up my own shop, i am looking to visit mallorca to check out business over there and also malta appeals to me as you wont have any language problems over there, but what caught my eye with your message was that you said in new zealand they are crying out for hairdressers, how do you know this ? maybe it may be more profitable for me to set up shop over there ? look forward to your reply jennifer or anyone knowledgable about business in new zealand, take care
: thumbup:
[/B]
Old May 10th 2009, 9:16 pm
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mehmet69

hi jennifer, i am a new member and noticed your message, i am a barber and looking to move abroad and open up my own shop, i am looking to visit mallorca to check out business over there and also malta appeals to me as you wont have any language problems over there, but what caught my eye with your message was that you said in new zealand they are crying out for hairdressers, how do you know this ? maybe it may be more profitable for me to set up shop over there ? look forward to your reply jennifer or anyone knowledgable about business in new zealand, take care
[/B]

Hi - hairdressers are in the top 5 skills shortage list believe it or not - think this maybe due to the poor pay - only know this as we looked into it a couple of years ago and thought i may be desperate enough to go back into hairdressing - but thankfully i came to my senses - try looking on the Ozzie forum on here you will find lots of information and there are some lovely people on there - good luck
Sam xxx
Old May 10th 2009, 9:31 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Sam Greenfield
Hi - hairdressers are in the top 5 skills shortage list believe it or not - think this maybe due to the poor pay - only know this as we looked into it a couple of years ago and thought i may be desperate enough to go back into hairdressing - but thankfully i came to my senses - try looking on the Ozzie forum on here you will find lots of information and there are some lovely people on there - good luck
Sam xxx
thanxs sam , i'll look into it further, poor pay is not a concern as i'm looking to open up my own salon, my concern is that quality of life is getting shit in uk and have had enough, take care sam, thanx
Old May 10th 2009, 9:38 pm
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

thanxs sam , i'll look into it further, poor pay is not a concern as i'm looking to open up my own salon, my concern is that quality of life is getting shit in uk and have had enough, take care sam, thanx
Youre most welcome - i wish you luck
Sam xxx
Old May 10th 2009, 10:25 pm
Banned

[/B]
mm
Old May 11th 2009, 8:04 am
Just Joined

Hi,
Yeah well Ive been trying to research into working abroad after I qualify and I have been told by people I know who have also looked into this that places like Oz and New Zealand are crying out for hairdressers/barbers. Plus I am always seeing adverts on the internet about starting a new career in these places, they always seem to be advertising whereas Iv had a look into spain and Italy and it seems jobs are few and far between in countries like those, I hope this helps It might make it worthwhile to look into it : )
Old May 11th 2009, 10:03 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

If you go to the capital Madrid and look around, a lot of the hairdresser/beauty shops seem to employ Latin Americans and/or Eastern Europeans. This may be because it's seen as a low-paid job, and indeed it may have changed lately as a result of La Crisis. It's also the case that where you have a large expat market to cater for (in this case I'm talking about say Ecuadorians serving others from Ecuador), you may have more opportunities. Of course, the need to speak the language fluently is essential. When the upturn starts again (and I'm not predicting when!!) you may find it a lot easier going to the coastal British expat zones to do this type of work. Having said that, don't rule out the likes of Madrid (and Barcelona) - there's quite a lot of American, Irish and British expats based there, mainly in either the English teaching or the IT industry, and you may be able to find a niche.