Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Is there any animosity about brixit

Is there any animosity about brixit

Old Jun 28th 2019, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

Leper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond reputeLeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there any animosity about brixit

1. Since the referendum I've been advising every Brit that'll listen that if they qualify, apply for an Irish passport asap. If your grandfather, grandmother, mother, father was Irish then you qualify. Go for it; it could be the best decision you ever made. Obviously, you won't be telling as much Irish jokes as hitherto.

2. If you haven't applied for an Irish passport, no sweat. I reckon Brexit won't happen. When all is said and done, there is often more said than done.

3. 200,000 people residing in the UK have applied for Irish passports and consequently the Irish Passport Office is clogged up. Even we Irish have to wait months for renewals. Both my grandfathers were from Essex, but for some reason that doesn't qualify me to apply for a British passport. Perhaps this is some kind of Thank-You for many in the UK qualifying to play for the Republic of Ireland. Thank you for Zinadene Kilbane.
Old Jun 28th 2019, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leper
1. Since the referendum I've been advising every Brit that'll listen that if they qualify, apply for an Irish passport asap. If your grandfather, grandmother, mother, father was Irish then you qualify. Go for it; it could be the best decision you ever made. Obviously, you won't be telling as much Irish jokes as hitherto.

2. If you haven't applied for an Irish passport, no sweat. I reckon Brexit won't happen. When all is said and done, there is often more said than done.

3. 200,000 people residing in the UK have applied for Irish passports and consequently the Irish Passport Office is clogged up. Even we Irish have to wait months for renewals. Both my grandfathers were from Essex, but for some reason that doesn't qualify me to apply for a British passport. Perhaps this is some kind of Thank-You for many in the UK qualifying to play for the Republic of Ireland. Thank you for Zinadene Kilbane.
I am in the position where I could claim an Irish passport as my mother was Irish. However that would only allow me to stay in the event of no deal but it wouldn't give me free healthcare or the state pension increase rights so don't really see the point? British citizenship with a deal is the best way as both of those rights are then covered also who is to say in event of no deal that bi lateral agreements aren't made to cover such things outside of the deal on offer? As always wait and see

Last edited by bobd22; Jun 28th 2019 at 5:16 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2019, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
The UK has also done very well as an EU member. It's an unpopular and inconvenient reality. But it will find out soon.
But Spain has done even better. Especially the 'poorer' regions like Andalucia, Extremadura. Britain in general like many northern countries pays more into Brussels' coffers than it receives.
People here take it as a given to be a part of the EU, and on the surface it all seems plausible and so cannot understand the turmoil that Britain is going through.
But there is an agenda which I am very uncomfortable with, hence my reason for voting leave.
Old Jun 28th 2019, 4:49 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Perhaps you are one of those clever people who never make typos! I notice that you did not end your post with a full stop.
Oh I knew it was a typo, but I thought s'he meant Brisket. I have a great deal of animosity about brisket.
Old Jun 28th 2019, 4:55 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Oh I knew it was a typo, but I thought s'he meant Brisket. I have a great deal of animosity about brisket.
Brisket's quite nice if it's corned (salted), boiled and served with boiled spuds and cabbage
Old Jun 28th 2019, 5:46 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Closing the thread as no-one is respecting a new members question.

Rosemary