Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Is there any animosity about brixit

Is there any animosity about brixit

Old Jun 25th 2019, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

Stillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond reputeStillgame has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there any animosity about brixit

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Why? The UK will be paying my pension. The UK will be taking tax. The UK will (probably) be where my children go to live and work.

Why can't I try and make a better future for us and them. (I know remainers don't believe it will be better but that's not my point here). I have a right to vote because it affects me and might affect my family!
Agreed.
Also, although many wont admit it, most Brits move to Spain not because they see it as the land of opportunity. It's the weather, lifestyle, property price etc. Relatively few for other economic reasons. Most are retirees or otherwise self sufficient - certainly not reliant on welfare. Also quite happy to just have a fleeting interest in Spanish language if at all. Nowt wrong with that.
Comparing immigrants to the UK with expats in Spain is nonsensical.
Old Jun 25th 2019, 2:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stillgame
It is from the point that most immigrants to the UK actually come to work but as you say majority come to Spain to retire or early retirement and are pretty much self sufficient however not all. Some do of course come to work set up a business or simply marry a Spaniard who wants them to settle here, from that stance there is no difference. Also EU consists of more than Spain Cyprus Italy etc with the pull of good weather. Where there is no difference in my view is British and many other EU incomers fail to intirgrate something that many in the UK complain all the time about re EU incomers to the UK especially language wise. Of course we use the magic expat term to describe ourselves which somehow seems to mean we as a higher being than a mere immigrant don't need to bother.
Old Jun 25th 2019, 2:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stillgame
Agreed.
Also, although many wont admit it, most Brits move to Spain not because they see it as the land of opportunity. It's the weather, lifestyle, property price etc. Relatively few for other economic reasons. Most are retirees or otherwise self sufficient - certainly not reliant on welfare. Also quite happy to just have a fleeting interest in Spanish language if at all. Nowt wrong with that.
But then again you benefit from Spain being in the EU. I doubt many of these retirees would move to Spain if the healthcare, roads, facilities & living conditions were not like they are today. Otherwise Albania would be flooded with Brits
Old Jun 25th 2019, 2:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lmj2018

if resident in Spain why are you taxed in Uk?
Possibly has a government pension which will always be taxed in the UK? That's my position I didn't vote leave but a person has the right to vote whichever way they choose.
Old Jun 25th 2019, 3:27 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

OK folks can we please get back on topic and answer the OP´s question and not go down the usual route about Brexit.

Here is the original question as a reminder.

Rosemary

Originally Posted by joedachef
I was wondering if there any animosity about the UK wanting to leave
the EU from the Spanish people towards the British there or ones like use wanting to retire there
next year
Its something that's crossed my mind over the past few weeks
Old Jun 25th 2019, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

Lmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond reputeLmj2018 has a reputation beyond repute

Rosemary, the OP, is asking about the animosity about Brexit. Hence the replies.
Old Jun 25th 2019, 7:17 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

There is little, if any animosity. Just a kind of pity, if anything.

Now, if one were to refer to the common stereotypes, well the stereotypes formed of the English aren't particularly positive, yet are considered sort of amusing, rather than a threat, but for the English who've been open minded enough to settle amongst (and integrate within) the real Spanish population, you'll find that the Spanish are very warm and welcoming, especially after discovering that you don't fit the stereotypes. The same is true with any other nationality, really.

It's not about WHO you are, it's about HOW you are. That's an important distinction.
Old Jun 25th 2019, 7:49 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lmj2018
Rosemary, the OP, is asking about the animosity about Brexit. Hence the replies.
The OP is asking about any animosity from SPANISH people not about any animosity from Brits.

Rosemary
Old Jun 25th 2019, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute

No animosity as far as I can discern from our Spanish friends. You have to understand that Spain has done very well out of the EU as a net recipient. When we first came here our neighbours had mules and most work was done by hand. Now they have several cars, a nice tractor and other machinery. Views will change as Spain contributes to new member states in the East. Also when they realise one size doesn't fit all. They are also astute enough to see the irony in their home politics is no better than the UKs.
learn the language, accept the vagaries of Bureaucracy and integrate and you will be fine. People have been living in other countries successfully since time began.
Old Jun 25th 2019, 10:36 pm
Banned

joedachef is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Is there any animosity about brixit

Does OP mean Old Person -lol
Old Jun 25th 2019, 11:02 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by joedachef
Does OP mean Old Person -lol
Opening poster = You
Old Jun 26th 2019, 2:02 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by olivefarmer
No animosity as far as I can discern from our Spanish friends. You have to understand that Spain has done very well out of the EU as a net recipient. When we first came here our neighbours had mules and most work was done by hand. Now they have several cars, a nice tractor and other machinery. Views will change as Spain contributes to new member states in the East. Also when they realise one size doesn't fit all. They are also astute enough to see the irony in their home politics is no better than the UKs.
learn the language, accept the vagaries of Bureaucracy and integrate and you will be fine. People have been living in other countries successfully since time began.
The UK has also done very well as an EU member. It's an unpopular and inconvenient reality. But it will find out soon.
Old Jun 28th 2019, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

minouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond repute

If even after more than 3 years some still can't spell Brexit ...
my only on topic comment
Old Jun 28th 2019, 2:15 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps you are one of those clever people who never make typos! I notice that you did not end your post with a full stop.
Old Jun 28th 2019, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

minouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond reputeminouette has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Is there any animosity about brixit

Originally Posted by Fred James
Perhaps you are one of those clever people who never make typos! I notice that you did not end your post with a full stop.
Correct!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.