British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Terrorist attack in Barcelona (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/terrorist-attack-barcelona-901995/)

tebo53 Aug 17th 2017 4:03 pm

Terrorist attack in Barcelona

Just heard on the local news about a terrorist attack in Barcelona. Vehicle ran down people in the street, 1 dead and 20 injured so far......

So sad to hear it happening here in such a wonderful country.

Steve

magnumpi Aug 17th 2017 7:10 pm

Re: Terrorist attack in Barcelona

Barcelona attack: At least 13 dead, 50 injured after terror attack on city centre - National | Globalnews.ca

The dead and injured numbers have risen significantly

scot47 Aug 17th 2017 9:23 pm

ISIS/Daesh have claimed it was their work.

big wheels Aug 17th 2017 11:38 pm

It would appear you are not safe in any large city these days. What a sad state of affairs.

amideislas Aug 18th 2017 2:49 am

I'd argue it's not safe anywhere, not just major cities.

Do you realise more people die everyday in automobile accidents than have died in the entire history of terrorism?

Having said that, it is indeed sad and terrifying that people can be led to commit such despicable acts.

Retired in Euskadi Aug 18th 2017 5:50 am

'Having said that, it is indeed sad and terrifying that people can be led to commit such despicable acts".
It's hardly surprising that radical Muslims commit these atrocities when the Quran implores them to slaughter the infidel on numerous occasions. Eg Sura (chapter 8:39; 9:5).
What Islam needs is a Reformation and re-thinking of the violent verses; doubt it'll happen though.

amideislas Aug 18th 2017 6:28 am

Originally Posted by Retired in Euskadi (Post 12319332)
'Having said that, it is indeed sad and terrifying that people can be led to commit such despicable acts".
It's hardly surprising that radical Muslims commit these atrocities when the Quran implores them to slaughter the infidel on numerous occasions. Eg Sura (chapter 8:39; 9:5).
What Islam needs is a Reformation and re-thinking of the violent verses; doubt it'll happen though.

Yet, by the numbers alone, the percentage of Christians who've engage in acts of religious violence far outnumber those of Muslims.

Frankly, I don't see it as a problem with one religion or another, it's a problem of radicals vs. moderates.

rspltd Aug 18th 2017 7:13 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12319341)
Yet, by the numbers alone, the percentage of Christians who've engage in acts of religious violence far outnumber those of Muslims.

Frankly, I don't see it as a problem with one religion or another, it's a problem of radicals vs. moderates.

It would be interesting to know on what figures or facts you base the above assertion.

EMR Aug 18th 2017 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Retired in Euskadi (Post 12319332)

There are just as many Muslim scholars who will contradict your assertion.
No one on here is an expert in 8th century Arabic, are they, are you ?
The nutters in Charlottesville also use distorted religious beliefs to justify their philosophies.

old.sparkles Aug 18th 2017 8:04 am

Not my area of the world, but Australian news is also reporting explosions in Cambrils and another location (sorry can't recall other location)

mikelincs Aug 18th 2017 8:51 am

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 12319370)
Not my area of the world, but Australian news is also reporting explosions in Cambrils and another location (sorry can't recall other location)

Yes, 5 terrorists killed before they could attack more pedestrians, and all being linked to a house explosion where it is believed people were making bombs and explosives.

mikelincs Aug 18th 2017 8:51 am

Moses2013 Aug 18th 2017 8:52 am

Very sad to hear and I think we should just stop mentioning religion here. In reality it has nothing to do with religion, or let's stay most people who kill just have a so called religion on paper but it has nothing to do with that.

old.sparkles Aug 18th 2017 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Moses2013 (Post 12319393)
Very sad to hear and I think we should just stop mentioning religion here. In reality it has nothing to do with religion, or let's stay most people who kill just have a so called religion on paper but it has nothing to do with that.

:goodpost:

amideislas Aug 18th 2017 9:10 am

Originally Posted by rspltd (Post 12319357)
It would be interesting to know on what figures or facts you base the above assertion.

It's a pretty simple Google, but to give you a head start, if you work at it a bit, you might find that there have been days when the daily death toll from anything not related to terrorism doesn't exceed the total in modern history.

The point is, that while it's tragic that some feel the need to conduct these atrocities, the fact remains that the very reason a handful occasionally die in terror events is to achieve sensational headlines in all media worldwide to promote their cause. It works.

It's natural to feel afraid. That's the very purpose of terrorism. But the fact remains, you're far more likely to die or be injured in your daily commute than in a terrorist incident. Anywhere.