British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Tenerife, Santa Cruz is it the best place to live? Help needed (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/tenerife-santa-cruz-best-place-live-help-needed-869680/)

Sisis Dec 27th 2015 5:57 pm

Tenerife, Santa Cruz is it the best place to live? Help needed

Hola a todos,

I am a swede, i am fluent in Spanish and English.
I am international, currently working with swedish real estate in Alicante. I however do not really like the region...am looking for a beautiful place to settle with me and my lil dog. Somewhere where i can have a good life, meet expats and at the same time be welcomed by the locals. Is Santa cruz a good place for my ideas? And for work, i would obviously be valuable where foreigers buy property. Or where is the nicest place to live in Tenerife?

Just to say, I hate Torrevieja and Benidorm,my neighbour cities, so you get an idea of what i am looking for.. tourist yes, but not hen party crazy..i think you understand ;)

Hope to hear your ideas.
Gracias, Anna

Dick Dasterdly Dec 27th 2015 7:12 pm

Re: Tenerife, Santa Cruz is it the best place to live? Help needed

Difficult to have the best of both worlds Sisis.
If you want to sell properties you will obviously sell more where there is most demand, generally within range of typical tourist areas.
The North of Tenerife is very nice with a pleasant climate, milder than anywhere on the peninsula and much more inclined towards the typical Spanish culture than the South of the Island.
Santa Cruz is a pleasant city but it's also very nice a little further West in the Puerto or Tacoronte region, though whether it will be so easy to get involved in the possibly more limited mostly Spanish controlled property trade up there I don't really know.

Moses2013 Dec 29th 2015 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Sisis (Post 11822116)
Hola a todos, I am a swede, i am fluent in Spanish and English.I am international, currently working with swedish real estate in Alicante. I however do not really like the region...am looking for a beautiful place to settle with me and my lil dog. Somewhere where i can have a good life, meet expats and at the same time be welcomed by the locals. Is Santa cruz a good place for my ideas? And for work, i would obviously be valuable where foreigers buy property. Or where is the nicest place to live in Tenerife? Just to say, I hate Torrevieja and Benidorm,my neighbour cities, so you get an idea of what i am looking for.. tourist yes, but not hen party crazy..i think you understand ;) Hope to hear your ideas. Gracias, Anna

Tenerife is a great island, but if Santa Cruz is beautiful depends on the individual. It's still a city with traffic, high rises, tourists, so not everyone's cup of tea and living their full time will be completely different. For me personally the Costa Brava is still the nicest part of Spain and you have everything you will find on a small island, including more. There are lively resorts from May to August, but you can easily escape them and nowhere is as ugly as Benidorm.

Dick Dasterdly Dec 29th 2015 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Moses2013 (Post 11823142)
Tenerife is a great island, but if Santa Cruz is beautiful depends on the individual. It's still a city with traffic, high rises, tourists, so not everyone's cup of tea and living their full time will be completely different. For me personally the Costa Brava is still the nicest part of Spain and you have everything you will find on a small island, including more. There are lively resorts from May to August, but you can easily escape them and nowhere is as ugly as Benidorm.

I was based for a good many years in Tenerife and the main thing I miss here on the peninsula is the wonderful year round climate as well as having its own separate micro climates within easy range.
I never really considered it as a small island, there was so much to do and see, as well as having four other wonderful islands within very easy range on daily ferries.
Anyone who judges Tenerife only from the trashy Southern tourist resorts is making a huge mistake.

Moses2013 Dec 29th 2015 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 11823276)
I was based for a good many years in Tenerife and the main thing I miss here on the peninsula is the wonderful year round climate as well as having its own separate micro climates within easy range.I never really considered it as a small island, there was so much to do and see, as well as having four other wonderful islands within very easy range on daily ferries.Anyone who judges Tenerife only from the trashy Southern tourist resorts is making a huge mistake.

Agree, but we're all different and some people do get rock fever after a while and I would certainly not judge the whole of Tenerife. As I said, Tenerife is a great island, but Santa Cruz is still a city like any other. It's certainly not that small and plenty to do as mentioned, but I still think that mainland Spain has more to offer than Benidorm. As a Swede working in real estate, Costa Brava would certainly be an option, as there are a lot of international buyers and salaries are higher. If something goes wrong, you could also work for a multinational in Barcelona and Swedish/English will help.

Rosemary Dec 31st 2015 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Sisis (Post 11822116)
Hola a todos,

I am a swede, i am fluent in Spanish and English.
I am international, currently working with swedish real estate in Alicante. I however do not really like the region...am looking for a beautiful place to settle with me and my lil dog. Somewhere where i can have a good life, meet expats and at the same time be welcomed by the locals. Is Santa cruz a good place for my ideas? And for work, i would obviously be valuable where foreigers buy property. Or where is the nicest place to live in Tenerife?

Just to say, I hate Torrevieja and Benidorm,my neighbour cities, so you get an idea of what i am looking for.. tourist yes, but not hen party crazy..i think you understand ;)

Hope to hear your ideas.
Gracias, Anna

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary

Dick Dasterdly Jan 1st 2016 5:12 pm

Very few if any posters on here based in Tenerife, but you could find the tenerifeforum very useful with loads of info and advice.