British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Tenants did a runner! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/tenants-did-runner-891472/)

Christiensen Feb 14th 2017 6:15 pm

Re: Tenants did a runner!

Philat98 ,thanks for your reply . My tenant did the same trick took out my good tumble dryer and replaced it with an old 3kg load that wasn't even a condenser type ,needed an outlet which I didn't have .
They too ,I hear are still living in the same village .

philat98 Feb 14th 2017 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Christiensen (Post 12179890)
Philat98 ,thanks for your reply . My tenant did the same trick took out my good tumble dryer and replaced it with an old 3kg load that wasn't even a condenser type ,needed an outlet which I didn't have .
They too ,I hear are still living in the same village .

Its a simple scam for hard nosed types who know the law. The thing that annoyed me was that our tenant was not satisfied with six months free accomodation but had to make a mess of the flat too. He drives a BMW so hes not living on bread and water.

Christiensen Feb 14th 2017 6:35 pm

Mine, 4 months non payment.Plus water and electric unpaid and cut off .

Rotor Feb 15th 2017 7:02 am

You need to put this behind you and move on, lawyers fees will just add to your loss ,I was advised never to rent to Spanish as so many abuse the system, get a UK Tennant and have them credit checked in the UK and only accept those who are sqeaky clean.

Christiensen Feb 15th 2017 7:34 am

Thanks Rotor you are right. I feel so angry about because it was my lawyer that brought the tenants to me .He knew I was trying to sell not rent .So this is how the saga began . By the way I am a girl not a boy ,as I think I have been seen as male .The Christiensen is my surname .

Rotor Feb 15th 2017 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Christiensen (Post 12180331)
Thanks Rotor you are right. I feel so angry about because it was my lawyer that brought the tenants to me .He knew I was trying to sell not rent .So this is how the saga began . By the way I am a girl not a boy ,as I think I have been seen as male .The Christiensen is my surname .

You could denounce them for theft , it may take months if not years to get to court, personally it would make me feel better and costs nothing unless you need an interpreter.good luck.

Christiensen Feb 15th 2017 8:30 am

Hi Rotor to denounce them for theft would my 1st step be a visit to the police.
It's not so much about money ,although it's cost me a lot ,it's the principle of the matter .As I have since been told the female of the couple owes money all over the place .She runs a bar in the next village .Thanks for your interest .

mikelincs Feb 15th 2017 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Christiensen (Post 12180376)
Hi Rotor to denounce them for theft would my 1st step be a visit to the police.
It's not so much about money ,although it's cost me a lot ,it's the principle of the matter .As I have since been told the female of the couple owes money all over the place .She runs a bar in the next village .Thanks for your interest .

I really suspect that you will just have to chalk this one up to experience, a denuncia will not change anything, and legal action will take years and cost thousands of Euros, and you will still not be guaranteed payment. Leaving without notice is extremely common in Spain, in fact we lost several thousands of Euros when relatives, who owed us the money, just left their accommodation in Spain and returned to the UK, we now have no idea where they are as they sold their property in the UK and left, they now have not signed onto the electoral roll in the UK and have, to all intents and purposes disappeared. they owe money to us, and we have since found they owe to a number of other people as well.

Christiensen Feb 15th 2017 9:41 am

That is awful ,relatives too. I will never , even if I live to 110 , understand the dishonesty and lack of morals affecting those who have tried to help them .The promised 1st 400€ from the ' evil ' ones as I knew I had fat chance of receiving was not paid into my bank. End of story .Thanksto all who contributed .Amen

Tweedpipe Nov 10th 2017 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12180390)
I really suspect that you will just have to chalk this one up to experience, a denuncia will not change anything, and legal action will take years and cost thousands of Euros, and you will still not be guaranteed payment. Leaving without notice is extremely common in Spain, in fact we lost several thousands of Euros when relatives, who owed us the money, just left their accommodation in Spain and returned to the UK, we now have no idea where they are as they sold their property in the UK and left, they now have not signed onto the electoral roll in the UK and have, to all intents and purposes disappeared. they owe money to us, and we have since found they owe to a number of other people as well.

Folks can move, even change country and change name, but to disappear completely is very difficult.
Why not name them, so that some sleuth reading this can track and possibly provide some feedback - assuming you really want to know that is.

missile Nov 10th 2017 10:28 pm

I do hope some of those who plan to buy to let in Spain read this post.

Pulaski Nov 11th 2017 1:33 am

Originally Posted by missile (Post 12379514)
I do hope some of those who plan to buy to let in Spain read this post.

I fear your hopes will be dashed. :(

OTA63 Nov 12th 2017 10:27 am

May be little to do with this thread but I think that the OP and those of you who have experienced similar must have been devastated. I think it is appalling that a tenant would treat a landlord and their property in such an appalling way.
My wife are intending to move to the Torrevieja area next November to live and will be wanting to rent long term as our home. We would never even give a passing thought to behaving in such a way.
This sort of thing can only serve to give genuine renters a bad name and make it more difficult to find a decent place to rent with a good landlord.
Can those of you affected not name and shame particularly if those "tenants" are still living in the same area. Put an ad in local shops or the local rag to warn other landlords and hopefully make it impossible for these people to rent another property.

missile Nov 12th 2017 1:37 pm

To be fair to the Spanish, this type of behaviour is all to common in UK.

OTA63 Nov 12th 2017 4:21 pm

It doesn't matter whether it's the UK, Spain or anywhere else this sort of behaviour is deplorable. Landlords deserve decent tenants and tenants deserve decent landlords.