Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Tenant Eviction Nightmare -Part 2

Tenant Eviction Nightmare -Part 2

Old Jan 12th 2021, 8:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tenant Eviction Nightmare -Part 2

Barcelona’s Latest Affordable Housing Tool: Seize Empty Apartments (bloomberg.com)

It seems that local authorities are taking an anti-landlord, pro-tenant stance.

Not a good time to get into "buy-to-let".
Old Jan 12th 2021, 9:47 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jan 13th 2021, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

DOWNANDOUT is an unknown quantity at this point

That Barcelona situation ' seizing empty properties' is more applicable to the bigger institutions who own multiple properties but with this 'hard left/marxist' coalition anything can happen.

I need to ask a question about 'Community Of Owners'

Do they only send Community mails to Spanish addresses and not to the UK? I have another fear that the 'President' and her son are planning to try and take ownership of our flat by physically posting Comunidad demands to our empty flat where we obviously won't be able to see them. They could then raise a legal case via the civil courts to auction off our property to pay the debts owed to the Community.

I've already written to them asking whether they can email any letters to us but they have not bothered to reply.

PS. I've asked a local company about security doors and they will visit the flat , do some measurements and provide me a quote.

Last edited by DOWNANDOUT; Jan 13th 2021 at 3:20 am.
Old Jan 13th 2021, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DOWNANDOUT
That Barcelona situation ' seizing empty properties' is more applicable to the bigger institutions who own multiple properties but with this 'hard left/marxist' coalition anything can happen.

I need to ask a question about 'Community Of Owners'

Do they only send Community mails to Spanish addresses and not to the UK? I have another fear that the 'President' and her son are planning to try and take ownership of our flat by physically posting Comunidad demands to our empty flat where we obviously won't be able to see them. They could then raise a legal case via the civil courts to auction off our property to pay the debts owed to the Community.

I've already written to them asking whether they can email any letters to us but they have not bothered to reply.

PS. I've asked a local company about security doors and they will visit the flat , do some measurements and provide me a quote.
You seriously need to get an English speaking gestor /lawyer on to this and promptly .

Unless your current door is in poor condition I`d save your money , a cordless disc cutter would get a multi locking point steel door open in around 10-15 minutes , if the neighbours are in cahoots noise wont be an issue .
Old Jan 13th 2021, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

Our front door looks weak but we'll wait for the quote before considering replacing. He told me not to bother with cylinder locks as used on 'metal gated doors' that fit over your own door and recommends armoured security doors (ie. replacing the actual door).

I did contact a Gestor who only lives 100 yds away from our flat but he hasn't bothered to reply.

Last edited by DOWNANDOUT; Jan 13th 2021 at 10:46 am.
Old Jan 13th 2021, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

My be someone here can recommend an English speaking gestor they have used in that area ?
Old Jan 13th 2021, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

Palmerston has a reputation beyond reputePalmerston has a reputation beyond reputePalmerston has a reputation beyond reputePalmerston has a reputation beyond reputePalmerston has a reputation beyond reputePalmerston has a reputation beyond reputePalmerston has a reputation beyond reputePalmerston has a reputation beyond reputePalmerston has a reputation beyond reputePalmerston has a reputation beyond reputePalmerston has a reputation beyond repute

Security doors come with certified ratings - the higher the rating, the more impenetrable, and the more you pay.

A good one is tested against entry using a gas torch, scissor jack, pad saws, grinders, jig saw and sledgehammer.

Any security door that can be penetrated with regular hand tools is false economy.

DOWNANDOUT will find out the spec options, rating and cost when he gets someone out to take a look.

Appointing a keyholder ASAP to do daily checks until the flat is sold may yet be the most cost effective option.
Old Jan 13th 2021, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Palmerston
Security doors come with certified ratings - the higher the rating, the more impenetrable, and the more you pay.

A good one is tested against entry using a gas torch, scissor jack, pad saws, grinders, jig saw and sledgehammer.

Any security door that can be penetrated with regular hand tools is false economy.

DOWNANDOUT will find out the spec options, rating and cost when he gets someone out to take a look.

Appointing a keyholder ASAP to do daily checks until the flat is sold may yet be the most cost effective option.
Getting someone to visit a house 7 times a week is impracticable and expensive , I sometimes use 4G cameras for security , they text you an image when triggered , just put one of these in the flat and it`ll keep you informed where ever you are in the world , https://soulnatura.es/camaras-trampa...874840578.html , nowhere as good as a monitored alarm but they do work .
Old Jan 13th 2021, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

"......... and it`ll keep you informed where ever you are in the world..."
And then what? Guardia Civil? Neighbour? 'Who ya gonna call?'
Rotor, if that happens, what do you do then? What's your plan?
Old Jan 13th 2021, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

Palmerston has a reputation beyond reputePalmerston has a reputation beyond reputePalmerston has a reputation beyond reputePalmerston has a reputation beyond reputePalmerston has a reputation beyond reputePalmerston has a reputation beyond reputePalmerston has a reputation beyond reputePalmerston has a reputation beyond reputePalmerston has a reputation beyond reputePalmerston has a reputation beyond reputePalmerston has a reputation beyond repute

It's the logistics and time taken to get anything installed in the flat that's the problem, given that DOWNANDOUT's stuck in the UK and, as yet, has no contact in Spain to help him out.

If I were DOWNANDOUT, I'd be anxious to have some immediate presence to check on the flat so okupas can't take advantage of the 48 hour window. Until any security upgrade is added to the flat - be it your package, a full monitoring one, or security door, he's vulnerable. Every day without action is an opportunity for the okupa's unfettered re-entry.

Hopefully, the gestor he's called knows an honest, reliable person who is more than happy do do 24/48 hour checks for a bit of extra cash. It would be worth the outlay to overcome the flat's immediate vulnerability. I don't know what alternative he has. As a minimum, it would act as a holding measure until he's in a position to get other security in place.
Old Jan 13th 2021, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mark604
"......... and it`ll keep you informed where ever you are in the world..."
And then what? Guardia Civil? Neighbour? 'Who ya gonna call?'
Rotor, if that happens, what do you do then? What's your plan?
Call the Police/GC/neighbour/Gestor in that area obviously
Old Jan 13th 2021, 2:41 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Securtias Direct will fit a monitored alarm in very short time but the flat has had the power cut has it not ?
Old Jan 13th 2021, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

Yes we are in a very vulnerable situation and I'm afraid there is no easy way .

1. The security door will help , but we will need to be there to let the man in to take the door off and probably use our mains electricity to fit the armoured door. But we are stuck in the UK in lockdown and the keys are with our solicitor in Alicante. Plus we are very reticent of handing over our keys to another local Spanish locksmith and I will tell you the reason why.
Our tenant and his whole family were shaking hands and having a joke with all the court officials - they all knew them because they are active members for the CCD political party. Our tenant was even putting himself forward to become the mayor of Calpe and Lliber. Even the Citizens Advice Bureau who I first contacted for guidance several years ago knew our tenant because he also worked as a manager in the Town Hall (where the CAB offices are located). I do not want to take the risk of giving our keys to any local tradesperson who may sympathise with our tenants political party ideals.

2. Our lawyer said that the electricity was switched off but he didn't say 'cut off' so I'm assuming the court officials switched it off at the mains (thank god ! because the African man was cooking food on a hob placed on those carpet tiles - such a dangerous fire hazard).

3. We don't have a clue what's happened with regards water and electricity because the tenant has been there 10 years and probably switched suppliers . All we have are copies of bills from our previous nice lady tenant (now deceased) relating to an energy company that do not exist anymore. So I suspect our electricity and water will be disconnected very soon if he stops paying and that is going to take quite a bit of time and effort to resolve if there are outstanding debts (which we will claim is not contractually ours to pay).

4. We don't know whether the 'Community Of Owners' and our tenant are colluding to 'hit' us with a massive 'Comunidad' debt . Remember that the tenants mother is/was the President and they were supporting him throughout his 3 year stint of appeals against eviction. They could still try and embargo our flat for non-payment even though we have never seen any demand letters or yearly accounts because of non-access to the flat for over 10 years. This is why we may need a Gestor service to help sort out this particular matter as we are completely in the dark.

I have sent 3 emails to the local police advising them of our flats address and stating that the eviction took place with the help of the Guardia Civil on the 8th Jan and that we will not be renting the property out again. I advised them that I will keep the emails as evidence to prove that anyone found in our apartment should be arrested for breaking and entering . Further the locksmith handed the only set of keys to our lawyer so no-one should be legally occupying our property.

Not sure what else we can do for the moment .

I have however found this website to locate registered qualified Gestors in our area and sent emails to 2 located close to our flat . Now awaiting their costs if they agree to act as an intermediary service to redirect mail to them and to provide support and guidance with regard any issues concerning the management of our property.

List of registered 'gestores' in Spain - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
Old Jan 13th 2021, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

I dont follow Spanish politics that closely but I would take this saga to the former tenants opposition candidate , they will absolutely love it and possibly help you out , revenge could be very sweet .
Old Jan 13th 2021, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
I dont follow Spanish politics that closely but I would take this saga to the former tenants opposition candidate , they will absolutely love it and possibly help you out , revenge could be very sweet .
On post #47 I made the same suggestion in reply to Downandout

"Earlier you spoke about contacting the tenant's political party and advising them of his behaviour. Instead it may be of greater effect to contact the opposition party as they may be more incentivised to make use of the info? Be wary of being sued for slander etc. You may need to hint and lead rather than be direct."

Regards

jonboy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.