Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Tenant Eviction Nightmare -Part 2

Tenant Eviction Nightmare -Part 2

Old Sep 15th 2021, 11:36 am
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tenant Eviction Nightmare -Part 2

It doesn't matter what you did in the UK. You now are in Spain so you don't get any stripes for that here!

If you need to encourage unwelcome visitors in your property, that is your business to resolve.

You can go down the legal route, which costs a fortune and you wait years for it to be resolved.

Or you can go down a more 'hands on' approach.

I would opt for the latter approach!

Very obviously, you do have to be rather careful, on who you engage for such matter.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 11:51 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Please remember to keep within the BE rules.

2. Inappropriate Language/Personal Attacks

There may be places where sexually explicit, racist, obscene or vulgar language, graphics or behavior is appropriate however BritishExpats.com is NOT one of them. We do not alllow graphics that contain nude body parts, sexually-orientated or violent acts. Should anyone use inappropriate language, encourage someone to break the law, start a personal attack, or engage in hate speech, they will be barred from all further discussions.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 12:32 pm
Banned

agree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond reputeagree_to_disagree has a reputation beyond repute

Rosemary quite correctly intervened as that dialogue was going in a rather unsavoury direction.

it is clear buying a property has to be approached with some care.

I really have no interest in buying an appartent in a block. One other option would be a house in a development with 24 hour security.

My preference all along has been for a stand alone property but these horror stories of squatters do make me think twice about it.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 12:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agree_to_disagree
Rosemary quite correctly intervened as that dialogue was going in a rather unsavoury direction.

it is clear buying a property has to be approached with some care.

I really have no interest in buying an appartent in a block. One other option would be a house in a development with 24 hour security.

My preference all along has been for a stand alone property but these horror stories of squatters do make me think twice about it.
The best option would be security cams that notify you on mobile such as reolink (posted link before). At the end of the day there are thousands of properties that aren't invaded by squatters and I suppose all you can do is not make it look like the property is a holiday home (remote control shutters, good relationship with neighbors etc.). For us it had to be stand alone property and I never really feel comfortable in apartments, so long term it's less horror for me personally. After living in a detached property we are now very noise sensitive and every time we visit friends or family who live in apartments, we are shocked how loud it is (even with sound proofing). Ok, we can still hear the dogs barking but at least I can close the window and feel more relaxed. I'm no longer interested in listening to my neighbor's love life or if they are just coming off the toilet.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

Shouldn't we just close the thread and have a new thread for bar talk? There is no evidence of a squatter. The tenant was evicted. The current situations are related to assualt, unpaid fines, legal fees and a decision to be made on whether or not to sell. The OP is in a horrible situation trying to deal with the aforementioned problems on behalf of elderly relatives and is likely at his wits end as he has received hundreds of suggestions, few of which have been acted upon.

The takeaway points from this awful story are if you're in the overseas landlord business you need to make sure you pay for very good agents, contracts, lawyers and security which means there's no financial sense in doing it at the low end of the market unless you have multiple properties. In other words the same as you would do in any other country, including the UK. I certainly wouldn't suggest Spain is a no-go for investors.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 1:06 pm
Banned

It is only when I came to Spain that for the first time I lived in an apartment. For me it is quite alien! Here in Spain and other parts of Europe it seems to be the norm to live in apartments.

To be honest it is bonkers what you can hear coming from neighbouring apartments, at times. The Spanish seem to treat it as being quite normal.

Cams and shutters are a must have!

However, it is inevitable that you have to leave the property empty, from time to time.

Anyone of a criminal bend, who makes it their business, with spot the pattern of you being there or not and the more exclusive/appealing the property is, the more attractive it becomes to take up uninvited residence in.

There lies the conundrum!

Get your stand-alone dream property in the sun with the pool etc. and you set yourself up as a target immediately...

Old Sep 15th 2021, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

growinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond repute

or announcing your imminent departure at the local boozer for all to hear..
Old Sep 15th 2021, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond repute

I've lived in a lot of apartments in a few countries but what you are talking here is a nightmare.

Hiring someone to do the dirty work is a bad mistake. If you pay and something were to go wrong, for instance these 'said big guys' push the squatter he hits his head and dies, thats you and them in jail for murder you know? Never mess with those type of guys.
Hire a house security guard, paid to live there, or get a few big bull mastiffs and someone to feed them, otherwise stop trying to have this euro dream life.

There is obviously the price of the apartment or house and the price of being able to live the lifestyle. Very expensive dreams, so many options on offer, and yet nobody seems to be willing to tell the real story of what the dream costs. Good to see a few on here are finally telling all.

Last edited by Nand; Sep 15th 2021 at 2:39 pm. Reason: Added info.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

growinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nand
Hiring someone to do the dirty work is a bad mistake. If you pay and something were to go wrong, for instance these 'said big guys' push the squatter he hits his head and dies, thats you and them in jail for murder you know? Never mess with those type of guys.
Hire a house security guard, paid to live there, or get a few big bull mastiffs and someone to feed them, otherwise stop trying to have this euro dream life.

There is obviously the price of the apartment or house and the price of being able to live the lifestyle. Very expensive dreams, so many options on offer, and yet nobody seems to be willing to tell the real story of what the dream costs. Good to see a few on here are finally telling all.
Have to agree with the above - I was a "guardian" on a huge property in France for 15 years for an Irish couple.. Maintained the grounds, kept them updated on mail, bills to be paid, carried out the maintenance needed and supervised the projects I could not do by myself. Without me there, the property would have been squatted, broken into or taken by the states for unpaid property tax... Not to mentioned their dogs would have been put up for adoption or forced to live in a tiny apartment in Dublin.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 2:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by growinspain
Have to agree with the above - I was a "guardian" on a huge property in France for 15 years for an Irish couple.. Maintained the grounds, kept them updated on mail, bills to be paid, carried out the maintenance needed and supervised the projects I could not do by myself. Without me there, the property would have been squatted, broken into or taken by the states for unpaid property tax... Not to mentioned their dogs would have been put up for adoption or forced to live in a tiny apartment in Dublin.
Put up for adoption? It's not as if Dublin is the only place in Ireland and if you can afford a huge property in France with guardian then finding suitable accommodation for your pets is not a big ask.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Put up for adoption? It's not as if Dublin is the only place in Ireland and if you can afford a huge property in France with guardian then finding suitable accommodation for your pets is not a big ask.
get real man, that is where they lived and they did not want to take the dogs with them as they traveled a lot for work.

To some people, dogs are just a piece of furniture as was the law in France at the time.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 3:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by growinspain
get real man, that is where they lived and they did not want to take the dogs with them as they traveled a lot for work.

To some people, dogs are just a piece of furniture as was the law in France at the time.
Sounds like adoption would have been better then and no dog would want this type of owner.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond repute

It is true dogs get very sad when left for long periods then as soon as their original owners return they are happy again. It depends on several things, were the dogs puppies and raised by the owners, how often the owners are around, is the feeder and dog minder close to them and give them good care? It can work out for the dogs and the owners if things are done right. Don't dis the dogs idea, its possible but needs a full time care taker or at least a house sitter.
Old Sep 15th 2021, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nand
It is true dogs get very sad when left for long periods then as soon as their original owners return they are happy again. It depends on several things, were the dogs puppies and raised by the owners, how often the owners are around, is the feeder and dog minder close to them and give them good care? It can work out for the dogs and the owners if things are done right. Don't dis the dogs idea, its possible but needs a full time care taker or at least a house sitter.
the dogs were bought as puppies for the children who left for uni the 5th year I was working there. Everyone thought it better for them to stay there with me being it was the only place they knew for the first years of there life instead of living in an apartment, coped up all day and on a leash - which was foreign to them for a walk. They are now buried in the garden; unknown to the new russian owners.. The Irish divorced and sold the property.

Mose says some people should not have dogs - the same could be said about kids but they do..
Old Sep 15th 2021, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

DOWNANDOUT is an unknown quantity at this point

This is the current status and my last post regarding the long nightmare.

My brother revisited the flat but this time with his lawyer , locksmith and new property manager. Again they were obstructed by the tenants father who was ranting and raving and placed himself in front of the door , therefore we had to call the police again. He was still in an uncontrollable rant even when the police demanded he move away and back to his own apartment (a few yards down the hall). The locksmith found that our locks had indeed been changed since last eviction and it took ages to remove it and finally open the door . Finally , after so many years we entered our own property to find it in a state of disrepair, the police finding evidence that it had been occupied by drug users. It was in a filthy state and a lot of furniture was moved onto the front and back balconies for some reason, and (mysteriously) there were also wooden pallets stacked on top of each other. The large window panel of our kitchen door (that leads to the back balcony) was missing and the place a bit of a pigsty to be honest.

We are now installing a new security door with alarms and camera which should stop the ex-tenant and his family from trying to sublet our flat to dubious people and cause mayhem and trouble to the rest of the community.

After we have secured the property , the next step will be to renovate the place , sort out the comunidad issues and then sell the place . The man who owns the restaurant 2 floors beneath our flat has already offered to buy the flat in its current state while a friend of his (a dutchman who owns a real estate company around the corner) is willing to do the conveyancing. We think we can renovate the place and sell it for about 115k euros but it also depends on further trouble that could be caused by the ex-tenants family.

Further , by luck I have found a Spanish insurance broker that will insure against all future legal costs up to 6k against future Okupas for 33 euros per year (almost too good to be true) . Will be signing up for this next week.

Note that my 2nd petition was rejected so that idea is now binned and we have decided (on another forum) to draft a standard letter in different languages for individuals to send to the Spanish Minister Of Housing. Hopefully we can get 40-50k letters sent to his department which might make him think again about implementing laws that can be 'practically enforced' and not depend on catching squatters 'red-handed' .

I have asked Rosemary to now close this thread.

Last edited by DOWNANDOUT; Sep 15th 2021 at 10:32 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.