Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Tenant Eviction Nightmare -Part 2

Tenant Eviction Nightmare -Part 2

Old Sep 8th 2020, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

inbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tenant Eviction Nightmare -Part 2

NEVER, EVER rent to the Spanish...especially in Barcelona where the Mayoress, Ada Colau (a Communist in disguise) is actively on the side of people like this.
Google her and read about her on Wikipedia.
She even did the same herself.
Old Sep 9th 2020, 11:49 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

You might be interested in this article from I read today in The Olive Press>

Rough Justice
A BARCELONA homeowner who seized his chance to brick up the doors when a couple who had been squatting in his flat for six years went on holiday could face criminal charges.
Old Sep 9th 2020, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

inbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond reputeinbarcelona has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
You might be interested in this article from I read today in The Olive Press>

Could you give us a link to the article please?
Old Sep 9th 2020, 12:33 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

https://www.theolivepress.es/

Please see The Olive Press, Issue 22 dated September 3rd - 16th 2020, page 16 of 16.

Old Sep 9th 2020, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

DOWNANDOUT is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, there are quite a few anti 'Landlord' high ranking officials who don't mind the 'State' paying out 10's of thousands of euros in free legal aid to prevent local Spanish tenant evictions. It seems an utterly biased judicial system but all they will do is drive their own people onto the streets when landlords stop renting and there is a massive housing shortage.

This tenant has basically 'ripped off' State funds that could have been better spent on the poorest.
Old Sep 9th 2020, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

I still can´t find the article in the Olive Press the issue and ppage you stated....
Old Sep 9th 2020, 7:17 pm
Started off with nothing

You need to search the page and look for it.
Old Sep 9th 2020, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

Green panel, left side, top entry, last page.

https://issuu.com/theolivepress/docs...86741/80592416

I'll link to it for you as the other poster seems reluctant to.

Last edited by Mark604; Sep 9th 2020 at 9:07 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2020, 12:30 am
Started off with nothing

Originally Posted by Mark604
I'm sure you must have a reason for not just linking to it. Is it a secret?
Or a competition. An exercise in observation?
The latest isue is number 351 - you say Issue 22.
The latest issue is Sept 2nd to sept 15th 2020 - you say September 3rd - 16th 2020.
Thank you for making it obvious..
It is not a secret, <LOL>
To make it easy, I had retyped the article in my first post.

The latest issue is in fact Sept 2nd to sept 15th 2020.

Not hard to find from the link I posted was it?<LMAO>

Last edited by missile; Sep 10th 2020 at 12:43 am.
Old Sep 10th 2020, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

Rather than creating a separate thread , I was wondering what we have in store once our tenant is finally evicted (if ever). He could just move his furniture into his parents house (just a few doors away from our flat in the same block) , then break back in and move his furniture back . Then it all starts again for another 12 months to try and evict him , more thousands of euros in court charges , etc .

I've heard that 'squatting' is becoming a massive problem across Spain , with left wing mafia's taking control of peoples homes when they go on holiday, leaving them on the streets when they return. That it could take many months to get rid of squatters even with the new 'express laws' they put into place .

https://www.spanishpropertyinsight.c...-in-catalonia/

I noted these particular comments in that weblink above.

"Left wing parties tend to be more indulgent of squatters, and the further left you go, the stronger the support for squatters against evil capitalist property owners. In Catalonia, the regional government is dependent upon the hard left to keep it in power as it pursues its pipe-dream of independence from Spain, and Barcelona City Hall is run by a former squatter activist called Ada Colau, who supports, and uses public money to subsidise, squatter-friendly activist groups like the PAH and Sindicat de Llogateres."

"The difference in Spain is the law is a blunt tool, the police have no powers unless they can prove illegal entry. My advice is to install an alarm with a monitored camera so you can react quickly should it happen and secondly you can prove illegal entry. As Mark says, squatters are organised in Spain, they know the law is weak and time consuming, a fact they take advantage of. An alarm should prove a visible deterrent."

Looks like the only way to prevent squatters is to install a metal security door/gate and an 'alarm/ CCTV camera' but that would involve visiting Spain (during the COV19 restrictions) setting up some broadband account so that we could monitor the flat from the UK . Then if anyone breaks in , we'd have to contact the local Denuncia to take action.

There must be an easier cheaper way to try and prevent squatters from taking control of our property . I'm wondering whether there are companies who take ownership of our flat's keys and then conduct regular inspections to check for squatters , etc.

PS.
Just found another article about squatting spreading through Spain and they mention something called 'Concierge Services'.

https://virtoproperty.com/info/okupa...atter-movement

Last edited by DOWNANDOUT; Sep 10th 2020 at 1:59 am.
Old Sep 10th 2020, 2:08 am
Started off with nothing

Many landlords have no problems and make a good return on their investment.

As a landlord I share your concern. Non payment and squatters can be a nightmare. I found the easiest and most cost effective remedy was to bribe a "difficult" tenant to move out.

As you have mentioned; One can take steps to improve security and vet tenants carefully. You can employ a company to occupy your empty property to deter squatters. This is very difficult to control from a foreign country and can employ a managing agent to act on your behalf. These measures can be expensive and they will only reduce not eliminate the risk.

I have sold all but one of my own rental properties. I would suggest you consider doing the same. I do not know the Buy To Let market in Barcelona but your best option might be to contact a local agent and sell with your sitting tenant.

Last edited by missile; Sep 10th 2020 at 2:18 am.
Old Sep 10th 2020, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

Many thanks for the advice .

I've never heard of hiring a company to occupy our empty property .

Do you have any weblinks to these companies so that we can enquire further?

Yes , we were also planning to sell our property back in 2016 but this tenant has destroyed all our plans.

The sitting tenant owes us 18k euros in unpaid rent plus interest and court costs (of which 12k was lost due to 4 year statute of limitations). There is zero chance that we will ever consider selling to this character.

Last edited by DOWNANDOUT; Sep 10th 2020 at 2:27 am.
Old Sep 10th 2020, 2:21 am
Started off with nothing

Originally Posted by DOWNANDOUT
Many thanks for the advice .

I've never heard of hiring a company to occupy our empty property .

Do you have any weblinks to these companies so that we can enquire further?
Sorry, I do not have any knowledge of Barcelona locale. I would suggest you contact your solicitor and/or local Estate Agents.
Old Sep 10th 2020, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Mark.
Old Sep 10th 2020, 7:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Although from last year, this is the only way: https://english.elpais.com/elpais/20...94_747830.htmlHundreds of residents of Portugalete, in Spain’s northern Basque Country, have managed to evict a family of squatters who had moved into a 94-year-old woman’s home when she left to go visit her ailing sister for a few days.

The plight of the elderly woman, who upon her return found intruders living inside the house where she had lived all her life, triggered a response by neighbors and sympathizers who congregated in large numbers in front of the house, located on 66, Progreso street.

The gathering began at 6pm on Thursday and extended until midnight. A statement was read out demanding a solution from the authorities, while the victim of the illegal occupation, Victoria de Castro, said: “I’ve been living here since 1931, please, I want to go home.”

Faced with an increasingly angry crowd, which threatened to kick down the door on several occasions, the squatters ended up calling the police to say they would leave the premises if they were guaranteed protection. The occupiers eventually walked out amid heavy security measures, and a complaint has been filed against them for usurpation of real property. Afterwards, several dozen residents headed for two other occupied homes, where the squatters also chose to leave.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.