Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The Ten ways to access public Healthcare in Spain (in order of priority):

The Ten ways to access public Healthcare in Spain (in order of priority):

Old Feb 20th 2014, 5:28 am
Forum Regular

UKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really niceUKinSpain is just really nice
Default The Ten ways to access public Healthcare in Spain (in order of priority):

1. Working in Spain
2. Be in receipt of a Spanish state pension or benefit
3. Previously having worked in Spain and claiming or claimed unemployment benefits
4. Be in receipt of a UK state pension
5. Be in receipt of a UK Sickness Benefit
6. Work as a Posted worker to Spain
7. As an Early Retiree (depending on recent National Insurance Contributions)
8. Dependent on one of the above
9. Registered as resident in Spain before 24.04.2012
10. Joining the Convenio Especial Scheme

Interested in knowing more? Visit the Healthcare Team´s website www.healthcareinspain.eu
Old Feb 20th 2014, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

funinthesun has much to be proud offuninthesun has much to be proud offuninthesun has much to be proud offuninthesun has much to be proud offuninthesun has much to be proud offuninthesun has much to be proud offuninthesun has much to be proud offuninthesun has much to be proud offuninthesun has much to be proud offuninthesun has much to be proud offuninthesun has much to be proud of
Default Re: The Ten ways to access public Healthcare in Spain (in order of priority):

I have just looked on the link. Is it true that anyone who is resident in Spain and has been so since before 24th Apr. 2012 is entitled to free healthcare in Spain even if they dont pay any social security payments. If so does this include the whole of Spain.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 9:52 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Ten ways to access public Healthcare in Spain (in order of priority):

Originally Posted by funinthesun
I have just looked on the link. Is it true that anyone who is resident in Spain and has been so since before 24th Apr. 2012 is entitled to free healthcare in Spain even if they dont pay any social security payments. If so does this include the whole of Spain.
yes.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

funinthesun has much to be proud offuninthesun has much to be proud offuninthesun has much to be proud offuninthesun has much to be proud offuninthesun has much to be proud offuninthesun has much to be proud offuninthesun has much to be proud offuninthesun has much to be proud offuninthesun has much to be proud offuninthesun has much to be proud offuninthesun has much to be proud of

Does it include all those people who have worked here cash in hand and never paid a penny towards this country can now get free health care in Spain.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 4:52 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

I would think that " resident " means LEGALLY RESIDENT not as the previous poster suggests .
Old Feb 20th 2014, 5:13 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
I would think that " resident " means LEGALLY RESIDENT not as the previous poster suggests .
The OP does say REGISTERED as resident, therefore must be with residencia.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 5:31 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
and they also want to see proof of tax residency ...............
Old Feb 20th 2014, 5:51 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs

There is no such thing as "residencia" any more. You just have to register on the foreigners register if you spend more that 90 days in Spain. This, however, does not make you a resident, it just gives you the right to stay in Spain for more than 90 days which is the maximum numbers of days that you can stay as a visitor.

To be considered a "proper" resident you have to be tax resident, as Lynnxa said, and living in Spain as your normal residence. The embassy does make this point.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

So you do have to be working here then or paying taxes to get free medical care. I just thought it did not sound very fair on all the people who had been paying their way for years that others who didnt could get it all for free.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 6:59 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

So you do have to be working here then or paying taxes to get free medical care. I just thought it did not sound very fair on all the people who had been paying their way for years that others who didnt could get it all for free.
no...

you don't have to be working, nor do you have to have ever worked in Spain

you just have to have had all your paperwork in order before 24th April 2012 - that means registered as resident & submitting tax returns - all residents should submit a tax return, even if they have no income
Old Feb 20th 2014, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

There's also the fact that in the case of early retirees, after April 1st. this year there will probably NOT be residual S1's to get cover on the Spanish NHS. The Convenio Especial also requires you to be have a RESIDENT for 12 months before you are eligible, so this UKinSpain release is not necessarily bang on the money IMHO.

Fun in the Sun, never mind the other stuff (even though it grates, I know, it does me too) , you need to get on with whats best for YOU as you find yourself NOW.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 7:17 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by lurchio
There's also the fact that in the case of early retirees, after April 1st. this year there will probably NOT be residual S1's to get cover on the Spanish NHS. The Convenio Especial also requires you to be have a RESIDENT for 12 months before you are eligible, so this UKinSpain release is not necessarily bang on the money IMHO.

Fun in the Sun, never mind the other stuff (even though it grates, I know, it does me too) , you need to get on with whats best for YOU as you find yourself NOW.
yes - point 7 is correct atm - but not for much longer
Old Feb 21st 2014, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

So for example if a woman who does not work in Spain has been here since before 2012 and splits up from her husband she could get free health care in Spain as long as she puts in a tax return each year. Also if her husband were to die she would also get free health care.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 8:18 am
¿Dónde estoy?

So for example if a woman who does not work in Spain has been here since before 2012 and splits up from her husband she could get free health care in Spain as long as she puts in a tax return each year. Also if her husband were to die she would also get free health care.
yes - as long as it was all being done BEFORE that date
Old Mar 17th 2014, 10:04 am
Just Joined

logansdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Just had a conversation with someone from the Overseas Healthcare Team. Apparently, although the S. 1 is being withdrawn it is highly unlikely that it will be by 31st March. Also, I was informed about a 'legislation letter' that is given to those moving to Spain (in Spanish and English) which may help to gain healthcare sooner than the Convenio Especial, although the monthly charge would still apply. Of course, the position for those of retirement age, or working/self-employed in Spain is different to that of early retirees and there is no change to the way they can access healthcare.

One other thing I did learn, is that when I reach retirement age, my younger partner will be able to access healthcare as one of my 'dependents' - apparently same throughout EU.

Hope that's of some use!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.