Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

the temperature is.... but it feels like.........

the temperature is.... but it feels like.........

Old Aug 4th 2010, 7:12 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default the temperature is.... but it feels like.........

ever wondered how they work out what the temperature 'feels like' when you take humidity or wind chill into account?

I just found this

http://www.meteogroup.co.uk/uk/home/...alculator.html

I got the info to put into the calculator here

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...Select=WEATHER

so right now we have a temp in Javea of 26 - add in 81% humidity & it 'feels like' 27.7
Old Aug 4th 2010, 7:14 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the temperature is.... but it feels like.........

Originally Posted by lynnxa
ever wondered how they work out what the temperature 'feels like' when you take humidity or wind chill into account?

I just found this

http://www.meteogroup.co.uk/uk/home/...alculator.html

I got the info to put into the calculator here

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...Select=WEATHER

so right now we have a temp in Javea of 26 - add in 81% humidity & it 'feels like' 27.7
Here, just south of Dublin, its currently a blistering 12c. Add 100% humidity and its feels like 12c.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

Where I am it was 40c with 80% humidity, it feels like hot.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 7:25 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Here, just south of Dublin, its currently a blistering 12c. Add 100% humidity and its feels like 12c.
it wouldn't be raining would it

I've only been to Ireland once - a bit south of Dublin for the month of August about 10 years ago

it rained almost constantly
Old Aug 4th 2010, 7:49 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

That doesn't sound a big difference but when you do the same calculation for higher temperatures it gets really noticeable.

35c at 81% give a heat index of 57.2c and at 100% it goes to 71c
Old Aug 4th 2010, 7:52 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by Fred James
That doesn't sound a big difference but when you do the same calculation for higher temperatures it gets really noticeable.

35c at 81% give a heat index of 57.2c and at 100% it goes to 71c
exactly

at one point yesterday we had 32c & 88% - so that was 48c

and explains why I felt like I walked out into a sauna!
Old Aug 4th 2010, 8:02 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

That's really interesting. It's now 22.5 here and 84% - makes the heat index only 21!!!!

Strange how it goes down as well!
Old Aug 4th 2010, 8:06 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by snikpoh
That's really interesting. It's now 22.5 here and 84% - makes the heat index only 21!!!!

Old Aug 4th 2010, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

Ok I'll do it properly;

37c + 60% humidity = 51.4c (verbal description 'danger').

As we're now into our second week of temperatures in the high 30's/low 40's (highest was 45) I don't feel so bad about hiding indoors with the aircon on full blast.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 8:53 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh

It's because the concept of a Heat Index only applies to temperatures of 27c or above.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_index
Old Aug 4th 2010, 9:06 am
¿Dónde estoy?

It's because the concept of a Heat Index only applies to temperatures of 27c or above.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_index
ah now that makes sense............

it's not hot unless the temp is higher than 27c!!
Old Aug 4th 2010, 9:25 am

The way I read it is that the Heat Index is designed to show how the body will be affected by the combination of high temperature and humidity with regard to it's ability to control body temperature so that you don't suffer adverse conditions like heat stroke.

On that basis they seem to be saying that at 27c or below, the body is capable of coping with it whatever the humidity.

27c and 100% may not be comfortable but it's not going to affect the functioning of your body.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 9:30 am
¿Dónde estoy?

The way I read it is that the Heat Index is designed to show how the body will be affected by the combination of high temperature and humidity with regard to it's ability to control body temperature so that you don't suffer adverse conditions like heat stroke.

On that basis they seem to be saying that at 27c or below, the body is capable of coping with it whatever the humidity.

27c and 100% may not be comfortable but it's not going to affect the functioning of your body.
yeah - but it really isn't hot under 27c!!
Old Aug 4th 2010, 1:27 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

yeah - but it really isn't hot under 27c!!
I start to feel cold if it`s only 21c.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

eileen59 is an unknown quantity at this point

you are luckey here in england rain as usual
do u know were i could get a balay washing machine door from
have spent ages on inernet looking the washing machine is in murcia spain
thanks so much
[email protected]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.