British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Temp SIP card problem (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/temp-sip-card-problem-670081/)

Mitzyboy May 28th 2010 7:07 am

Temp SIP card problem

I am covered as a dependent. We got SIP cards in March, and were given temp sip cards lasting to September, during which time a full one will arrive by post allegedly.

Went to the doctors yesterday and he said he would only treat me for emergencies because the law has changed and a temp card means I am a transient! :eek:

So if you have a temp card and are waiting for a full one, it seems you still don't get full state health cover due to new laws. Anyone know anything about it?

Mitzyboy May 28th 2010 3:02 pm

Re: Temp SIP card problem

I'm amazed that no one has comment on this considering its quite an important development!

No one interested then? :)

lynnxa May 28th 2010 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 8596040)
I'm amazed that no one has comment on this considering its quite an important development!

No one interested then? :)

I think we're all just in shock!!

you're obviously not transient since you're a registered resident

are you sure the doctor has this correct?

they're not sending you a bill for your hospital stay are they:ohmy:

who could clarify the position?

DWPinSpain maybe?

Mitzyboy May 28th 2010 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by lynnxa (Post 8596054)

you're obviously not transient since you're a registered resident

are you sure the doctor has this correct?

they're not sending you a bill for your hospital stay are they:ohmy:

who could clarify the position?

DWPinSpain maybe?

I actually email their health group (DWP), telling them what happened. Yes, I do think the Doctor is wrong. When I made the appointment the receptionist insisted on taking a copy of my EHIC card, even though he saw my SIP.

Strange thing is, the doctor saw me a few weeks ago and was fine. The hospital treated me for my fall and were fine, the ambulance collected and delivered me ... still fine!

LittleWeed May 28th 2010 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by lynnxa (Post 8596054)

Likewise. It wasn´t lack of interest just can´t think any explanation that makes any sense. Which new law is your doctor referring to ? Sure he´s not just made a mistake or there was an admin error when the card was issued and the modality was not entered properly ?. :unsure:

Mitzyboy May 28th 2010 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by LittleWeed (Post 8596120)
Likewise. It wasn´t lack of interest just can´t think any explanation that makes any sense. Which new law is your doctor referring to ? Sure he´s not just made a mistake or there was an admin error when the card was issued and the modality was not entered properly ?. :unsure:

Not sure. Although I speak a little Spanish, he speaks no English at all and gets arsy if you dont take an interpreter ... so I took one and so I missed out on the conversation to some extent.

I'm waiting to hear from DWP in Spain, and after that I may have to re visit the Centre where the card was issued.

LittleWeed May 28th 2010 4:40 pm

Maybe have a look at your temporary SIP card. Next to the NIE number there´s a field headed "Mod" - the code in there may give you a clue as to whether you been put on the system under your EHIC card or as a beneficiary of an SS afiliate/ pensioner. :confused:

snikpoh May 28th 2010 5:31 pm

Not sure if this is relevant but ...

Last time I had treatment, I showed my SIP card and was told I had to fill in lots of claim forms plus provide a copy of my EHIC card.

Luckily my wife speaks Spanish fluently and the reason they gave was that they needed this info so that they can claim the money back?

Sounds strange to me - almost as if they're trying to get money whichever way they can.

jdr May 28th 2010 6:59 pm

I had an appointment on last Friday, and also made an appointment for my wife for this week with no problem.
But then we do have proper cards, the SS gave us forms to take to the medical centre and the cards arrived shortly after we registered.

Mitzyboy Sep 15th 2010 10:07 am

Well, a long time passed but we went to the local INSS office and got a new certificate of accreditation. We then went to the main health centre because the temp sip cards we were issued had run out this month. She looked at them and said they were European Cards :confused:

I then produced the new certificates and she confirmed we had originally been given the wrong cards. Looks like it has been treated like an E106 transaction.

So we have been issued with new plastic (still temporary until December) SIP cards which she confirmed gave us free prescriptions etc. So all we need to do now is go to our local health centre to re register again!

Just goes to show how easily a mistake can happen!