Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Tell me what's really different.

Tell me what's really different.

Old Feb 9th 2011, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

busters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tell me what's really different.

Where i work i treat all customers with a smile and am polite, it doesn't come down to if you like them or not, i don't have to live with them and i try to make their evening enjoyable (even the akward buggers) as this keeps me in a job, it's hospitality not hostility.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 9:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busters mum
Where i work i treat all customers with a smile and am polite, it doesn't come down to if you like them or not, i don't have to live with them and i try to make their evening enjoyable (even the akward buggers) as this keeps me in a job, it's hospitality not hostility.
Sure, that is smart financially

I've never experienced bad service myself in Spain, except for having to hang around 30 minutes for a bill which happens frequently when it is busier than they were expecting, but now I just go to the bar/desk to pay myself if I get tired of waiting.

But I have seen and heard bad reactions to tourists/non-Spaniards, normally due to the language. The waiters/attendents just get fed-up sometimes I think.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 10:08 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

A different experience for me today. Went to the local small grocery shop for some bits and pieces and the owner noticed that I was enjoying his music so he decided that he and his assistant would dance for me.

Rosemary
Old Feb 9th 2011, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

busters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
A different experience for me today. Went to the local small grocery shop for some bits and pieces and the owner noticed that I was enjoying his music so he decided that he and his assistant would dance for me.

Rosemary
I won't go that far
Old Feb 9th 2011, 10:19 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I won't go that far
There you go then there is one of the differences between the 2 nationalities, possibly we would not because we are Brits and they will because they are Spanish.

Rosemary
Old Feb 9th 2011, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

There you go then there is one of the differences between the 2 nationalities, possibly we would not because we are Brits and they will because they are Spanish.

Rosemary
Or because it's difficult to dance carrying 6 plates, i'll leave that to the Greeks
but that's another thread
Old Feb 9th 2011, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

goaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by cricketman
I couldnt disagree more

If the waiter/shop assistent doesn't like you, you get bad service, if they do, you get great service. A lot of the reactions to English people are due to whether the waitress thinks you are disrespecting them.

I'd rather people were honest with their emotions rather then being all fake smiles.

You should come down to Jerez or El Puerto then. It's nothing to do with being English either, I speak with a Spanish accent as I was brought up here the service in some places is very poor. I understand why, the waitress makes next to nothing and instead of hiding her emotions at being pissed off with life, she lets the world know!, Well I prefer that she hides her "pissedoffness" and gets on with her job of serving me a coffee and treating me, the customer with a bit of respect. Saying "¿Qué?" to a customer is not correct, and I told her why.

I have some relatives up in La Coruña, and what a difference. The galegos can be abrupt people, but the customer service in places like Santiago, Vigo is great. I also notice the difference when I go to the UK.

Of course we are speaking in generalisations.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

We say once the doors are open you are on stage and you leave all your shit at home otherwise very soon YOU will be at home
Old Feb 9th 2011, 12:56 pm

Or because it's difficult to dance carrying 6 plates, i'll leave that to the Greeks
but that's another thread
Come on now surely you owe to your special customers to at least try!!!!!!!

Rosemary
Old Feb 9th 2011, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Come on now surely you owe to your special customers to at least try!!!!!!!

Rosemary
O.K. when you come i will, do you want an Irish jig or the Highland fling ?
I'm not doing the dance of the seven tablecloths !!!!
Old Feb 9th 2011, 1:13 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
The people in the Axarquia area must be an exception, then! I haven't had occasion to ring a Spanish person to enquire about a house for sale, but our number is currently on a Se Vende sign for a house we are trying to sell for a friend. We have had a number of calls from Spanish people and every one has wanted to know the price - in fact only one bothered to ask a different question as their opening gambit, with all the others it was the first thing they wanted to know!

I have found the same thing, though, with people still talking about house prices in pesetas and it completely throws me - I have absolutely no idea how many euros a million pesetas would equate to. You may not hear British people talking about pounds, shillings and pence any more, but they certainly did for quite a few years following decimalisation, particularly the older people. Maybe it just needs a bit more time for the memory of pesetas to fade away, or maybe not if the euro collapses!
Just to clear things up a bit, when I said that money was taboo, I meant that you cannot get the price of anything out of the Spanish easily and notherners are the worst, but there is no holding back when ithey are ASKING the price, the only have the problem when they have to TELL somone the price.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 1:20 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goaty
You should come down to Jerez or El Puerto then. It's nothing to do with being English either, I speak with a Spanish accent as I was brought up here the service in some places is very poor. I understand why, the waitress makes next to nothing and instead of hiding her emotions at being pissed off with life, she lets the world know!, Well I prefer that she hides her "pissedoffness" and gets on with her job of serving me a coffee and treating me, the customer with a bit of respect. Saying "¿Qué?" to a customer is not correct, and I told her why.

I have some relatives up in La Coruña, and what a difference. The galegos can be abrupt people, but the customer service in places like Santiago, Vigo is great. I also notice the difference when I go to the UK.

Of course we are speaking in generalisations.

Are you trying to say that the Gallegos are grumpy, bad tempered, abrupt old farts.

Well. if so, I would take exception to that comment, but you are quite right.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 7:43 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

I've generally had good service in shops, bars etc in Spain. There again maybe they appreciate a guiri who can communicate in Spanish. I'm always grateful to the offer to wrap my presents in places like El Corte Ingles - not something you normally get in M&S. The only really grumpy service I've received was in the Estanco when I was processing some paperwork, but that was efficient enough. And despite what other people claim to experience, I generally find bar service is very quick in a Spanish bar, and I can't believe it's just because I observe the greetings etiquette. Well, the paying bit is sometimes a bit slow though. And, for what it's worth, I'm rarely annoyed with service in UK establishments either - although I always wonder why it takes so long to get served in a pub nowadays, especially when so many are going out of business. It's the big corporations like T-Mobile I really can't stand.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 8:06 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
I've generally had good service in shops, bars etc in Spain. There again maybe they appreciate a guiri who can communicate in Spanish. I'm always grateful to the offer to wrap my presents in places like El Corte Ingles - not something you normally get in M&S. The only really grumpy service I've received was in the Estanco when I was processing some paperwork, but that was efficient enough. And despite what other people claim to experience, I generally find bar service is very quick in a Spanish bar, and I can't believe it's just because I observe the greetings etiquette. Well, the paying bit is sometimes a bit slow though. And, for what it's worth, I'm rarely annoyed with service in UK establishments either - although I always wonder why it takes so long to get served in a pub nowadays, especially when so many are going out of business. It's the big corporations like T-Mobile I really can't stand.
The question of wrapping is a bit of a sore point with me.

OI hate it in shops that sell cheap things, like screws and such when insteasd of putting the stuff in a small bag, they wrap in up in a farting little piece of paper, and if the person in front want half a dozen such items, then you are in for a long wait.
My wife likes to sew and it often takes ages for her to get served with a ouple of buttons, because of the mania of not gettinglittle paper bags, instead of minute scraps of paper and a yard of cellotape.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
I always wonder why it takes so long to get served in a pub nowadays, especially when so many are going out of business.
Because they are to busy making bloody coffee!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.