Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

tell me some good things about hondon

tell me some good things about hondon

Old Apr 19th 2008, 10:26 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tell me some good things about hondon

This thread looks fun.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

It seems to me that Bokeh is fixated with time and roads. Why even bother to live in the countryside if these are your main considerations? Those of us who choose to live the rural idyll are never going to be worried if it takes us 10 minutes or 40 minutes to get to the airport.

We chose our homes for the tranquility that rural living gives, not for how quickly we can regain 'civilisation' in the form of the nearest city.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

HereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
It seems to me that Bokeh is fixated with time and roads. Why even bother to live in the countryside if these are your main considerations? Those of us who choose to live the rural idyll are never going to be worried if it takes us 10 minutes or 40 minutes to get to the airport.

We chose our homes for the tranquility that rural living gives, not for how quickly we can regain 'civilisation' in the form of the nearest city.
Couldn't have put this better myself.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

HereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really nice

hattiejaques let us know if you have been well and truly put off Hondon!
Old Apr 19th 2008, 9:56 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

and who said having an opinion is wrong eh?
Old Apr 20th 2008, 12:12 am
Banned

bokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the rough

All I was trying to point out is that there are other places that have all the rural benefits without having to forfeit infrastructure or be isolated from useful society and the services it brings like a telephone with broadband etc.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 4:06 am
Yorkshire and Hondon

GILBEY is an unknown quantity at this point

Try again! There is telephone with broadband!
Old Apr 20th 2008, 4:28 am
Banned

bokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by GILBEY
Try again! There is telephone with broadband!
Most of the rural houses don't even have a phone line in sight, let alone broadband.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 4:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

My village is around 15ks from Hondon, as I said previously not even a shop, but surprise surprise it does have phones! But for the discerning, if you look for a small satellite type dish, about 25-30centimetres in diameter, that is for a microwave broadband connection! You don't need a phoneline at all.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

Nothing is wrong with having an opinion. The poster asked about the good things about Hondon.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 9:25 am
Banned

Originally Posted by hattiejaques
Most people seem depressed by the proposals and to prevent me becoming depressed about the area please tell me something good about living or having a holiday there.
Originally Posted by HereKittyKitty
The poster asked about the good things about Hondon.
A friend once told me he though his wife was seeing another man and asked what I thought he should do. I told him to get himself a good solicitor. He got mad at me and stormed off and I didn't see him again for a few years. When I did he apologized and told me out of all the advice everyone had given him it was the best.

The OP asked to know something good about Hondon but all I told him was bad stuff.

In both cases, it seems, I hurt someones feelings but that was not my intention, which, in reality, was to give someone the best long term advice with the least heartache. Sorry to all those whom my directness may have offended.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

linda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud oflinda Coyle has much to be proud of

I have just arrived back from Hondon (Oasis) this morning after going over to view our house. I must say it is all looking great, the weather was lovely and we even met up with a couple of people from this site. Sorry Gilbey, didn't know what house was yours to say hi to your mum. Spoke to a couple of people in their gardens and all say the same thing - "no regrets"
Old Apr 24th 2008, 9:48 am
Just Joined

Blue eyed bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Perhaps a good time to leave this thread while everyone else continues to add to the good things about Hondon and the urbanisation. I'm certain that you may have given someone good advice sometime and if you turn up in three years then we can tell you if you were right or not.
I'll tell you one thing - I have never been as happy knowing that i have somewhere to disappear to where I know i'll be happy, content, safe and relaxed! Leave it now Bokeh and we'll all remember your advice and comments in years to come.
Old May 7th 2008, 2:09 am
Just Joined

Vance is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you everyone for your replies to my request to tell me some good things about Hondon.As I had expected the opinions of people not resident or purchasing in the area are generally different from those who are committed to the area,and it is to the views of those in the second group that I pay most attention.
I am not deterred by the possibility of further development or of a bypass,although I am curious exactly what will be passed by.There are however some issues that I would like further information on and it is to the residents and owners in the area,particularly those on the urbanization that I address the following questions.
Is there enough supply of electricity to power your home?
Is there enough water for your needs?
Are there suitable telephone and broadband connections?
What is the television reception like?
What is the extent of building work at present and when is completion of communal areas and services, and hand over to the residents expected?
Are you happy living there?
If you could have done anything differently when purchasing or moving there what would it be.
Thanks in anticipation.
Hattiejaques.
Old May 7th 2008, 2:44 am
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of

- Is there enough supply of electricity to power your home? Is at the moment but it is a concern going forward but the Hondon council are WELL aware of it and are actively working with the Leccy Board and neighbouring towns/villages.

- Is there enough water for your needs? As above... there has been the odd hiccup but a lot of the GAMA residents formed a committee and employed a solicitor to sort this out as the builder/land owner were not playing ball. It has been ok since Aug 2007 to my knowledge. It is illegal not to supply water. And be careful what you pay for in advance (at the notary - question any fees - about 500€ for connection of Leccy/water (not consumption). Some have been ripped off by the agent - CHECK with yours!!

- Are there suitable telephone and broadband connections? - Yes there are quite a few providers now - about 100€ for the kit/install and 30+ p.m. for telephone and internet. You get a Spanish Tel no. and BBand is about 2/3mb on a good day. It is about 95% reliable. This is not a land line - it's satellite/wireless. Get SKYPE for cheap internet calls. Ask around.

- What is the television reception like? - Generally good (depends where you are, line of site). There is a new provider now with a small micro-dish (so no more 3M flying saucers !!!) Yippee! By all reports this is quite good - about 600 install/kit and 20€ p.m.

- What is the extent of building work at present and when is completion of communal areas and services, and hand over to the residents expected? Very Good question! The houses look like the end of the year, but commercials and odd land plots could be a long time (2/3 years) depending on who you speak too. A bone of contention with existing residents who have waited already 2 years !! It makes the place a little scruffy right now... but it's getting better now people have spent time/money on their gardens/houses.

- Are you happy living there? - Most are - I am - very friendly and so helpful people, had some great parties and lovely relaxing times. Depends on your immediate neighbours and your own attitude / requirements. I think the people have been great. There are 1 or 2 unsociable people I've met and think they are an island!! And dogs can be an issue to non-dog owners. But they help keep the neighbourhood a little more secure I think.

- If you could have done anything differently when purchasing or moving there what would it be. - Hard question, because it's so personal. For me it would be - hold back from purchasing stuff in a hurry. Wasted loads of time/money buying on impulse/quickly. Shop around e.g. Air-con a waste of money - hardly used it. You need a fire of some sort in the winter. And summer open the b***** windows and doors. ---- Don;t fall for Expats blarney, especially if they want to build a pool or do your garden. Be friendly but shop around - get the Spanish in they are usually cheaper!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.