Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

tell me some good things about hondon

tell me some good things about hondon

Old Apr 17th 2008, 9:20 am
Just Joined

Big Mac is a jewel in the roughBig Mac is a jewel in the roughBig Mac is a jewel in the roughBig Mac is a jewel in the roughBig Mac is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: tell me some good things about hondon

My wife and I spent over 2 years making frequent trips to view properties in various parts of Spain (NOT with agents), whilst also learning the language,before buying on the outskirts of Hondon de las Nieves 8 months ago. We lived in the country in the UK and are happier with a more isolated location rather than an urbanisation. We love the area and have never been happier. I would certainly advise against listening to the views of someone who describes a simple 25 min trip to the airport or a 15 min trip to a very large shopping mall as a 'major excursion'. Good luck!
Old Apr 17th 2008, 8:08 pm
Banned

bokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: tell me some good things about hondon

Originally Posted by Big Mac
I would certainly advise against listening to the views of someone who describes a simple 25 min trip to the airport or a 15 min trip to a very large shopping mall as a 'major excursion'. Good luck!
Hi Big Mac,
I came to Spain 6 years ago and took a good hard look at Hondon and decided against it mainly because of the communication problem. 25 minutes the airport is a gross under estimate and it must be at least 40. Similar for any decent shopping mall or city centre. When you look at a return trip (door to door) that's a lot of wasted time, time that some people might find more valuable than you.

And it's not just the time, it's the road. All the roads are low quality, single carriageway national class roads, or worse.

I'm not saying we should all live in city centres or urbanizations, I am saying it is not necessary to be so cut off. I too live in the country and it is completely silent here. Maybe 5 vehicles pass the house every day, but I'm not cut off from the world. I'm 5 minutes from several major motorways, 15 mins from the airport, 15 from Alicante city centre, 10 from San Vicente, 25 from Elche and 45 from MurcĂ­a (Ikea, etc).
Old Apr 18th 2008, 9:00 am
Just Joined

Big Mac is a jewel in the roughBig Mac is a jewel in the roughBig Mac is a jewel in the roughBig Mac is a jewel in the roughBig Mac is a jewel in the rough

Hi, Bokeh
Guess we're just going to have to agree to differ on this one - nothing to achieve in arguing or suggesting I drive too fast. I make fairly regular trips to the airport and I stick to my timing. I would rate l'aljub as a good shopping mall and it is only 15 mins from here. We also have a sports centre in Hondon and a good gym, covered pool and outdoor pool in Aspe. My golf club is a 20 min drive. I never once got the impression you believed everyone should live on an urbanisation. I agree that some people may wish to be closer to the airport etc, but the main reason for my post was to highlight just how happy my wife and I are here. Obviously you are very happy with the area you have chosen to stay which is great. As long as you do a bit of research there is a place in Spain to suit all tastes.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 11:51 am
Banned

bokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the roughbokeh is a jewel in the rough

I would rate l'aljub as a good shopping mall.
Where's that just out of interest?
Obviously you are very happy with the area you have chosen to stay which is great. As long as you do a bit of research there is a place in Spain to suit all tastes.
I guess that's the key, having the foresight to recognize something that you are going to be pleased with today, next year and in ten years time.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

Hi, Bokeh
L'aljub is by the main Elx roundabout. Their web site is cclaljub.com. It is close to Carrefour and there is a new El Corte Ingles/Hipercor within 2 mins.
Couldn't agree more with comments re having foresight.
Old Apr 18th 2008, 9:35 pm
Banned

Hi, Bokeh
L'aljub is by the main Elx roundabout. Their web site is cclaljub.com. It is close to Carrefour and there is a new El Corte Ingles/Hipercor within 2 mins.
Couldn't agree more with comments re having foresight.
Is that the one with the Kiabi clothes store (very cheap and lots of 6 for 1 offers)?

I'm going to go back and have another look at Hondon this afternoon. Maybe thinks have changed since I last saw it 5 years ago. And we all know how quick the roads are updated round here.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 2:23 am
Just Joined

Blue eyed bloke is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: tell me some good things about hondon

Well Bokeh certainly has some things to say to try and put people off! A major excursion eh? Well I for one don't consider a 20 minute drive to the Carrafour in Elche or the large shopping centres there to be a major excurion. How many beaches are within a 40 minute drive - quite a number and you can choose whether you want remote or ones with lovely seafronts and cafes.
Land grab - well I don't suppose anyone can be absolutely safe but if you buy through a reputable company and use a good solicitor (always one different to the one that a builder may recommend) then you shouldn't go far wrong.
There seems to be a numbr of people who don't like Hondon or the urbanisation and that's fine - we all have our own choices to make in life and we all have our own opinions.... Just stop souring this link by not answering the question posed - tell me something good about Hondon...
Well, i think Gilbey struck the chords above - the scenery is wonderful, the walks and rides fantastic, the people, both the Spanish and the ex-pats, are all so friendly that you are never without someone to talk to unless that's what you want.
Let me say if you want hustle and bustle and roaring nightlife as well as a buzzing daytime then Hondon is not the place for you. If you want peace and tranquility, no stress and a calm way of living then either of the Hondons or the urbanisation could be just the place you are looking for.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 3:15 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Blue eyed bloke
Well Bokeh certainly has some things to say to try and put people off! A major excursion eh? Well I for one don't consider a 20 minute drive to the Carrafour in Elche or the large shopping centres there to be a major excurion.
The road communication thing is 100% fact. Hondon de las Frailes can only be accessed from 2 roads, CV845 and CV873. Both are community level, single carriageway, secondary roads with lots of nasty bends (particularly the CV873). You have to drive at least 10 kilometres (CV843, 12km) in any given direction on those roads before coming across any sort decent fast dual carriageway or motorway. And woe betide anyone who needs to travel along those roads late on a Friday or Saturday night.
How many beaches are within a 40 minute drive - quite a number and you can choose whether you want remote or ones with lovely seafronts and cafes.
40 minutes sounds an eternity to someone that can arrive at a wide choice of beaches (Campello, San Juan, Alicante, Villajoyosa, etc.) within 15 minutes (especially with today's fuel prices).
Land grab - well I don't suppose anyone can be absolutely safe but if you buy through a reputable company and use a good solicitor (always one different to the one that a builder may recommend) then you shouldn't go far wrong.
As any reader of the Costa Blanca News will know that place has a terrible record for land grabs. Where do you think the land the urbanizations are built on came from?
Old Apr 19th 2008, 3:43 am
Yorkshire and Hondon

GILBEY is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HereKittyKitty
good points gilbey!

I am thinking about the service road...I can't remember seeing it whenever we have been there, and excuse my ignorance but what is a service road used for? We have only visited the School at Hondon De Las Nieves and although it appears to be the "catchment" School for Oasis, are considering looking into the School at Frailles. Gilbey have you cycled or walked this route to Frailles? and how long did it take you? Just curious

There are a fair amount of Lorries going to and fro on that main road, good to know there is an alternative route.
Hi

The service road is a single carriageway that you can access just by the security guard's hut. I am going to visit Frailes School next week as it does seem easier than having to go on the main road and you have the option to cycle.

Very little traffic goes on there and it is lovely and quiet with great scenery.
(I know this as I have run and cycled all over the valley now)

I can't remember how long it takes on foot, depends if you are walking or cycling but probably 15 mins. I could be wrong but will time it next time for you.

I will take some photos and put them on this thread when I am on my running routes, and people can judge for themselves about the valley.

I understand you and Linda were able to meet up recently? I have told her to say call and say hello to my Mum and Dad whilst she is over there this weekend as they are there too.

I wasn't sure if your plot was the one almost finished or the one just before it (3rd from the end) with just the footings in?
Old Apr 19th 2008, 3:52 am
Just Joined

Bokeh. By your own admission you've not visited Hondon for 5 years yet you are an authority on driving here on a Friday or Saturday night. I have no problems driving here at any time whatever the day of the week. I have no idea what store you are referring to with a 6 for 1 offer. The reason I gave you the web site for L'aljub was because I genuinely thought you were interested in finding a new place to shop. Instead you try to leave the impression that this is some cheap market. I agree with the comment that you should stick to the original thread. You've made it clear that Hondon is not for you. Hopefully I've made it clear that I am very happy to call this area my home. Let's leave it at that.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 8:07 am
Banned

Bokeh. By your own admission you've not visited Hondon for 5 years
I've visited it this afternoon. Here's what I find: Hondon de las Frailes doesn't even have a proper bank. There is a temporary bank set up in a bus. Albatera is 18 kilometres away on a road that is so dangerous it has a 20 km speed limit in places. Aspe is around 20 km away but the road to there is better. The only other road takes you into the wilds of Murcia which once it crosses the border immediately turns into a decent quality road. Let's hope none of you need an ambulance or to get to hospital in a hurry. I saw two enormous adverts, one said "new 2 bedroom 2 bathroom residences 89,000", the other said "buy a property here and we'll give you a car for free". Seems desperate! The municipal swimming pool doesn't even have a roof so can't be used year round, and looks very small. The urbanization on the "main road" 4 km from las Frailes in the direction of las Nieves looks tidy but in reality is a ghost town at this time of year. I went in and there were just a handful of cars in the whole place and all shutters closed, etc. Infrastructure looks almost non-existent. Saw a couple of shops and bars but nothing open. Should I go on?

I saw someone was talking about schools above. I wonder is there even a secondary school? If not how far do the kids have to travel. Does the primary school even have an assembly hall or gymnasium? Or is it just a bunch of classrooms, or worse prefabs. What about dining hall, and if it does then does it also have a kitchen or does the food come 20 km in a van stuck in a hot cupboard?

Last edited by bokeh; Apr 19th 2008 at 8:50 am.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 9:34 am
Just Joined

Bokeh. Let's remind ourselves of the original thread 'Tell me something good about Hondon.' You are a self opinionated, irksome individual. If your life is so sad that you have to leave your alleged Utopia to visit a town solely with the intention of finding fault then you really are a sad case. I'm glad you did not like Hondon as it means you will never return. Accept we are happy, an emotion I really do not think you understand. I am now bored with you and no longer wish to give any further purpose to your empty life by showing any more interest in your disdainful remarks.

Last edited by Big Mac; Apr 19th 2008 at 9:36 am.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 9:52 am
Banned

Bokeh. you really are a sad case.
ad hominem

Last edited by bokeh; Apr 19th 2008 at 10:16 am.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 10:13 am
Yorkshire and Hondon

Bokeh. Let's remind ourselves of the original thread 'Tell me something good about Hondon.' You are a self opinionated, irksome individual. If your life is so sad that you have to leave your alleged Utopia to visit a town solely with the intention of finding fault then you really are a sad case. I'm glad you did not like Hondon as it means you will never return. Accept we are happy, an emotion I really do not think you understand. I am now bored with you and no longer wish to give any further purpose to your empty life by showing any more interest in your disdainful remarks.
Well said! He has given me a good laugh though!
Old Apr 19th 2008, 10:15 am
Yorkshire and Hondon

Originally Posted by bokeh
I'm not sad at all, just a realist
Bye bye !!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.