Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Tell me, the hidden gem is?

Tell me, the hidden gem is?

Old Aug 5th 2006, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Tell me, the hidden gem is?

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Well landgrabs still around although the EC have ruled it illegal. It didn't bother me so much because of where and what we bought, but I can appreciate the worry buying an old place in the middle of no where .... however I may be wrong but that effected coastal areas mainly didn't it, where all the building is rife.

I know where theres a finca for Sale near Sax, Alicante for 130 ish thousand euros with land .... one of the moderators on another forum .... let me know if you want the link.
Countryboy has mentioned Sax to us before. The finca sounds what we might be looking for, but it may be gone by the time we are in a position to buy. We are still in the process of selling an apartment in Menorca and have not got our house on the market yet.

It would be nice to see the link though

Graham
Old Aug 5th 2006, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Hi Grey C & Steve,

If you follow the yellow dusters (stone road) you come to paradise. It's got everything, rolling river, tranquility, pool and stimulating hosts.

Regards,

John.
You sell it well
Old Aug 5th 2006, 6:21 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gray C
Countryboy has mentioned Sax to us before. The finca sounds what we might be looking for, but it may be gone by the time we are in a position to buy. We are still in the process of selling an apartment in Menorca and have not got our house on the market yet.

It would be nice to see the link though

Graham
I'll pm it
Old Aug 5th 2006, 10:13 pm
Rob in Madrid

tim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nice

My idea of a hidden gem is a place with loads of expats, going local wears very thin very quick if you don't speak the language and you don't fit in.

The ideal is to find locals that speak english then you don't have to worry about them moving back after 6 months when the thrill of going local wears off.

Having said that we're the ones moving away after making a lot of effort to find local (as vs expat) friends
Old Aug 6th 2006, 10:02 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tim hortons man
My idea of a hidden gem is a place with loads of expats, going local wears very thin very quick if you don't speak the language and you don't fit in.

The ideal is to find locals that speak english then you don't have to worry about them moving back after 6 months when the thrill of going local wears off.

Having said that we're the ones moving away after making a lot of effort to find local (as vs expat) friends
I think you have spent too much time in Frankfurt.....I was there once for 5 months and nearly lost my sanity!!!!!
Old Aug 6th 2006, 10:06 pm

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Ha ha yes I suppose you might be right, nevertheless it would be nice to find a nice little paradise to wind down and get rid of all the stresses of UK living!
We need a certain degree of stress to stay alive.....the only stress free existence is when you go to bed for that final very long and deep siesta in the sky. Trying to escape just doesn't work.. one merely exchanges one set of problems for another....it's the choice of what kind of problems one wishes to deal with that influences our lives and where we live.......I think......
Old Aug 7th 2006, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by poollounger
We need a certain degree of stress to stay alive.....the only stress free existence is when you go to bed for that final very long and deep siesta in the sky. Trying to escape just doesn't work.. one merely exchanges one set of problems for another....it's the choice of what kind of problems one wishes to deal with that influences our lives and where we live.......I think......
What I can do without is commuting back and forth along the M56 everyday to sit in an office all day, when I can be doing something more positive with my life. Not everyone has the chance to move to another country to hopefully have a better lifestyle and if you are in a position to give it a go, I say try it. That is what we intend to do.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 9:56 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

What I can do without is commuting back and forth along the M56 everyday to sit in an office all day, when I can be doing something more positive with my life. Not everyone has the chance to move to another country to hopefully have a better lifestyle and if you are in a position to give it a go, I say try it. That is what we intend to do.
I gave up work in March, and I can't tell you how pleasant it is to get up in the morning and do what YOU want to do every day. And very shortly I'll be doing it in a much warmer place

T minus one month now!!
Old Aug 7th 2006, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

Gadget is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I gave up work in March, and I can't tell you how pleasant it is to get up in the morning and do what YOU want to do every day. And very shortly I'll be doing it in a much warmer place

T minus one month now!!
I agree, In March, I got married, gave up work (at 46) and moved out to a beautiful home with swimming pool.

The best part of the day is getting up and sitting outside with a coffee

Gadget
Old Aug 8th 2006, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by Gadget
I agree, In March, I got married, gave up work (at 46) and moved out to a beautiful home with swimming pool.

The best part of the day is getting up and sitting outside with a coffee

Gadget
I couldn't agree with you more !! I suppose I have a very flexible working life, unfortunatley the flexible earnings accompany it...my choice however so I am not complaining. My only worry would be that after six months of it I would be tearing my hair out in boredom....the novelty must wear off eventually.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't agree with you more !! I suppose I have a very flexible working life, unfortunatley the flexible earnings accompany it...my choice however so I am not complaining. My only worry would be that after six months of it I would be tearing my hair out in boredom....the novelty must wear off eventually.
Hear, hear.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

If you were retired at home in the UK, wouldn't it be the same? Most retirees find new hobbies and things to do to keep them from being bored and then often say "How did I find the time to go to work?"
Old Aug 8th 2006, 4:00 pm

If you were retired at home in the UK, wouldn't it be the same? Most retirees find new hobbies and things to do to keep them from being bored and then often say "How did I find the time to go to work?"
You are quite right.....it is something I intend to explore over the next couple of years....I suppose living on the outskirts of London there are lots of ops, but it would be no worse than moving to a small town in Devon or Wales. At least in Chiclana one has Cadiz, Jerez and Seville all within a driving time of an hour or less. And I always forget that as one gets older one's urge to acquire demanding new interests is somewhat curbed.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

I too am sick of the commuting rat race (try 1.5 hours each way by public transport) and will be moving to Spain just as soon as I can sell my house in England - is proving difficult as it's been on the market for nearly 6 months now, the wait is killing me.

We bought 3 years ago in Spain and have been having the house restored gradually since then - nothing structural, just new kitchen and bathrooms, retiling patio and outside stairs, new utility area in patio, next job is to convert a former pigeon loft into a sitting room/occasional extra guest bedroom.

Where we bought might not be everyone's idea of a hidden gem, it's a big town which is capital of the Axarquia region of Malaga province in Andalucia, called Velez-Malaga. It's 5km inland from the coast, a 10 minute journey by car, the nearest resort is Torre del Mar with very few British tourists, mainly Spanish visitors many of whom have second homes there. I didn't want to be somewhere remote as I don't drive so want easy access to shops, activities etc without living in an expat community. My house is in the historic area of town inside the original city walls, no access by car at all. It's like stepping back in time, but with all the mod cons - apart from the fact that you have to carry your shopping uphill. The way I look at it is it will help to keep us fit and active in our old age! There is an excellent public transport system, including a new tram service just about to start operating between us and the coast, and half hourly bus service to Malaga until late at night, the big regional hospital just up the road, great range of shops, theatre with regular music and dance performances, good public sports and leisure facilities and private gyms. Having lived in a small Lancashire town for the past 25 years with zero leisure activities I don't want to be bored to death in my (early) retirement. There has been a lot of new building (mainly apartment blocks) on the edge of Velez but we can't see any of it from our roof terrace and it doesn't impinge on us at all. There are a number of British couples and families living there but it is still very much a working Spanish town and very few people in shops or restaurants speak English. Long may it remain so.

We don't plan to work when we get there but will use the proceeds from the sale of our English house plus an inheritance my partner received last year to live on until we receive our pensions (10 years in my case, 8 in my partner's). We will be time rich and cash poor instead of the other way round, but I don't think I will mind that.

Hope you find what you are looking for and can realise your dream.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I too am sick of the commuting rat race (try 1.5 hours each way by public transport) and will be moving to Spain just as soon as I can sell my house in England - is proving difficult as it's been on the market for nearly 6 months now, the wait is killing me.

We bought 3 years ago in Spain and have been having the house restored gradually since then - nothing structural, just new kitchen and bathrooms, retiling patio and outside stairs, new utility area in patio, next job is to convert a former pigeon loft into a sitting room/occasional extra guest bedroom.

Where we bought might not be everyone's idea of a hidden gem, it's a big town which is capital of the Axarquia region of Malaga province in Andalucia, called Velez-Malaga. It's 5km inland from the coast, a 10 minute journey by car, the nearest resort is Torre del Mar with very few British tourists, mainly Spanish visitors many of whom have second homes there. I didn't want to be somewhere remote as I don't drive so want easy access to shops, activities etc without living in an expat community. My house is in the historic area of town inside the original city walls, no access by car at all. It's like stepping back in time, but with all the mod cons - apart from the fact that you have to carry your shopping uphill. The way I look at it is it will help to keep us fit and active in our old age! There is an excellent public transport system, including a new tram service just about to start operating between us and the coast, and half hourly bus service to Malaga until late at night, the big regional hospital just up the road, great range of shops, theatre with regular music and dance performances, good public sports and leisure facilities and private gyms. Having lived in a small Lancashire town for the past 25 years with zero leisure activities I don't want to be bored to death in my (early) retirement. There has been a lot of new building (mainly apartment blocks) on the edge of Velez but we can't see any of it from our roof terrace and it doesn't impinge on us at all. There are a number of British couples and families living there but it is still very much a working Spanish town and very few people in shops or restaurants speak English. Long may it remain so.

We don't plan to work when we get there but will use the proceeds from the sale of our English house plus an inheritance my partner received last year to live on until we receive our pensions (10 years in my case, 8 in my partner's). We will be time rich and cash poor instead of the other way round, but I don't think I will mind that.

Hope you find what you are looking for and can realise your dream.
Where you are going to live sounds very nice and Spanish. It sounds very similar to what we want to do, although we would prefer a house on the edge of a town with enough land for a pool and to lounge around and read and just generally chill out a bit

Good luck with your move

All the best

Graham & Pauline

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.